Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Web based vnc client

Posted by g_man 
Web based vnc client
April 27, 2010 06:14AM
I have been searching the internet without any luck with finding a good web based vnc client. I was wondering if anybody knew of one. It has to run on a mac, and it also has to be web based because my school has a proxy so downloading a client doesn't work, I believe they block the port. I have the server working successfully on my computer with the correct firewall settings. Thank you.
Re: Web based vnc client
April 27, 2010 03:58PM
I've personally, never heard of such a thing, but couldn't you just bring one on a USB stick?
April 27, 2010 04:09PM
The problem is that the firewall blocks all outgoing connections(I believe), so I can't.
April 27, 2010 11:02PM
well then a web based client wouldn't help you anyway, now would it?
April 28, 2010 05:20AM
I have heard of such a thing...the client is web based and the server requires a server install...

However, I don't recall the name of the program. I was not using it myself...it was a vendor that was using it.
April 28, 2010 06:05AM
How about this?
April 28, 2010 10:01AM
Here are a few programs that will do what you want but they are not free (although they have free trails)...

[www.techinline.com]

[www.gotomypc.com]

No free trial (as far as I can tell but claims to bo through all firewalls)...

[www.techmixer.com]
April 29, 2010 05:59AM
thanks I will try some of these, I hope they work, otherwise i'm back at square one for getting past the proxy and firewall.
April 30, 2010 02:24PM
Couple of suggestions:

1. Check "Tight VNC". It is free and I believe it specifically has an option to use Port 80 (i.e. the usuall HTTP port) for exactly your situation.

2. Another method that you can try, if you have some programming knowledge and have installation rights on the server and client:

Write a TCP/IP proxy program. I assume Port 80 must be free on the cleint firewall due to the fact that you can access the interent (HTTP usually uses port 80 although there are exceptions). A proxy program is fairly easy to write in VB (and probably other languages too). The basic idea is:

1. You run your sever program as normal using whatever port it usually uses.
2. You run your proxy program on the server which basically takes incoming communication on one port (the server program port) and send it out on port 80 (internet port).
3. You run your proxy program on the client which basically takes incomding communication on port 80 (internet port) and sent it out on the port used by the client program.
4. You run the client program as normal using whichever port it usually uses.

Obviously the proxy program need to work in both directions since the software is likely to require bidirectional communication.

For example,

Say you want to play a network game of Fubar on your school computer. Say the server for this game listens on port 3200 for connections and responds using port 3201.

In such a case you set up the Fubar Server (at home) with the regular settings. Then you set up the Proxy program to listen on port 3201 (masking as a client computer for the server) and send out on port 80 and listen port 80 and send out on port 3200.

On the client side you would install the proxy which would listen on port 80 and send out to port 3201 and listen on port 3200 (masking as the server) and send out on port 80.

I have used this technique to patch one of my old programs. I had lost the source code for the program and the communication protocol was slightly incorrect. So I built a Proxy program that sat in the middle (as above) which corrected the protocol. It worked like a charm.

P.S. Ensure neither computer is running a Web Server since this would likley use Port 80 and would conflict with your Proxy program.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2010 02:25PM by LordAshes.
May 01, 2010 12:10AM
thanks, I'm just now trying to learn socket programming so that method seems slightly advanced. I also found that my solution might be to implement ssh tunneling using corkscrew.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login