Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Next Major Nintendo Firmware Update

Posted by 888g4 
Next Major Nintendo Firmware Update
April 27, 2010 03:07PM
I'ts been a while since Ninty unleashed an update.

Prior to the last one they were semi regular, we have now had nearly 5 months without one.

Do you think we'll get another one soon targetting homebrew and the community?
Re: Next Major Nintendo Firmware Update
April 27, 2010 03:12PM
Updates are (Usually) to add features, not to block homebrew. They probobly don't have anything they want to add.
April 27, 2010 03:22PM
They must have something waiting in the wings surely!?
April 27, 2010 04:16PM
bg4545
Updates are (Usually) to add features, not to block homebrew. They probobly don't have anything they want to add.

With the exception of 4.1 (the only purpose of which was to fix a bug with Wii Sports Resort), all updates since 3.3 have done something to block homebrew. However, only 4.0 added any significant features (it was also the only update to block the installation of homebrew for any significant period of time). 3.3 was mainly a failed attempt to block homebrew, and the only feature it added was a slightly improved mii channel. 3.4 added only minor features, and made another attempt to block the Twilight Hack. Finally, as we all know, 4.2 served no purpose except to block homebrew.

As far as I can tell, far more people are using homebrew for piracy than for legitimate purposes. Therefore, it may be best if the next update removes all fakesigned content (their pre-repair check disc already can do this), or at least deletes cIOSes, verifies the signature of the system menu, its IOS, and all channels before launching them.
April 27, 2010 09:09PM
Really, who cares? We have SO many exploits hidden behind closed doors that no matter what Ninty does we'll still be able to easily execute homebrew code on the Wii.
April 27, 2010 11:04PM
Arikado
Really, who cares? We have SO many exploits hidden behind closed doors that no matter what Ninty does we'll still be able to easily execute homebrew code on the Wii.

Exactly my thoughts. Legitimate usage or not, the genie is out of the bottle. You simply can't put it back in, it's just impossible
April 27, 2010 11:12PM
Arikado

That's what I like to hear. I know TT have plenty of IOS exploits, are you saying there are other exploits to get unsigned code running in the first place?
April 28, 2010 12:56PM
Arikado

Who cares? Seems like a lot of people cared last time.
April 28, 2010 08:03PM
888g4
Who cares? Seems like a lot of people cared last time.
Yeah, for no reason..
April 29, 2010 06:04AM
I'm sure that Team Twiizers will find a work around for the next update, but the pirates don't seem to be as capable. Bushing indicated that Nintendo is not unlikely to make a better attempt at blocking homebrew (see thirteenth comment here). As unlikely as it may be, it would be nice if the next update causes problems for pirates, at least temporarily.
April 29, 2010 11:35AM
Hmm.. they seem to be going down the road of adding piracy protection to their titles, maybe that's the strategy rather than looking at code sitting on the console. They might have decided to pick a different battleground, hopefully this will be good for homebrew.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login