Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Homebrew emulators or VC games?

Posted by Mestizo 
Homebrew emulators or VC games?
July 02, 2010 11:27PM
With the outcome of 4.3, it looks like this might be the end for Homebrew. Of course, before 4.3, I was getting kinda guilty about using the homebrew emulators for my classic gaming. I promised myself I would leave Homebrew if they released Earthbound.

Benefits of VC:
Better graphics
Legit way to find games you can't play anymore

Benefits of homebrew:
Cheats
Savestates

Should I abandon homebrew, or keep it?
Re: Homebrew emulators or VC games?
July 02, 2010 11:43PM
Let's see...
Crystalis, Final Fantasy III (6), Crono trigger, ALL gameboy games, other controllers then the classic controller.

Easy for me.
July 03, 2010 01:23AM
The outcome of 4.3? It's very far from the end of homebrew, I don't know what you're talking about...
July 03, 2010 04:16AM
Definitely abandon Homebrew in favor of Virtual Console games. However, keep Homebrew around for, well, Homebrew games! There are some outrageously talented people out there putting out some really entertaining and original games.
July 03, 2010 04:40AM
dancinninja
Definitely abandon Homebrew in favor of Virtual Console games. However, keep Homebrew around for, well, Homebrew games! There are some outrageously talented people out there putting out some really entertaining and original games.

I know. I've been hooked on Bash the Castle, Mahjongg Wii, Syobon Action, and Still Alive Wii. I'm just saying, between emulators and Virtual Console? Some say to stick to the emulators, some say switch to Virtual Console and remove homebrew channel, and some say to do a mix (get my favorites off of VC and only play the emulators for games not available)
July 03, 2010 05:57AM
I'm sorry, but this is the stupidest topic I've ever seen grace these forums.

1)There's no reason to update to anything past 4.1

2)You can still run homebrew on 4.3

3)Homebrew emulators are obviously much better than VC emulators. You can emulate more than one ROM in a homebrew emulator and you have tons of features on hand. You can also emulate consoles (DS) you can't in VC.

4)There's no need to update to anything past 4.1

5)Ports and homebrew games that are better than "official software"

6)There's no need to update to anything past 4.1

7)Even if you update, HackMii will have a new installer for 4.3 shortly

8)There's no need to update to anything past 4.1

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2010 05:57AM by Arikado.
July 03, 2010 06:33AM
Arikado
I'm sorry, but this is the stupidest topic I've ever seen grace these forums.

1)There's no reason to update to anything past 4.1

2)You can still run homebrew on 4.3

3)Homebrew emulators are obviously much better than VC emulators. You can emulate more than one ROM in a homebrew emulator and you have tons of features on hand. You can also emulate consoles (DS) you can't in VC.

4)There's no need to update to anything past 4.1

5)Ports and homebrew games that are better than "official software"

6)There's no need to update to anything past 4.1

7)Even if you update, HackMii will have a new installer for 4.3 shortly

8)There's no need to update to anything past 4.1

I know about all of that. I'm just stating that I was just going through a guilt trip. I knew the risks I would go through when installing Homebrew Channel. I recently got the Homebrew Browser, and a 2GB SD card (My Homebrew Channel stuff, as well as some WiiWare and VC games are on a 4GB SDHC) solely for Brawl (Brawl+, Smash Stack, pics, replays, custom stages, custom textures, etc). Right now, I'm noticing the benefits of the homebrew emulators, mostly the ability of save states. That, and I can play Mother 3 on a bigger screen, making it feel a bit like Earthbound.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2010 06:34AM by Mestizo.
July 03, 2010 08:07AM
You get way more options with Homebrew emulators. You get the option to play every possible ROM. If you're THAT kind of person. :P
July 03, 2010 02:01PM
My point is simply that homebrew isn't going anywhere so there's no reason to stay up late worrying about it. (And that of course hombrew > official software)
July 03, 2010 08:09PM
My point was that you should support the official developers. I have spent the past few months and over 200 hours learning GX (the graphical API for the Wii) inside and out. What that has taught me is that it takes an incredible amount of time, energy, know-how, and work to create a game. The people who created these games did not do so in their spare time; they didn't have anything else to fall back on. If they stopped working, they stopped eating. I know I am being overly dramatic, but you get the point.

I would highly advise everyone to support official releases. And yes, this is coming from someone who has worked on a few emulators himself.
July 03, 2010 08:40PM
dancinninja
My point was that you should support the official developers. I have spent the past few months and over 200 hours learning GX (the graphical API for the Wii) inside and out. What that has taught me is that it takes an incredible amount of time, energy, know-how, and work to create a game. The people who created these games did not do so in their spare time; they didn't have anything else to fall back on. If they stopped working, they stopped eating. I know I am being overly dramatic, but you get the point.

I would highly advise everyone to support official releases. And yes, this is coming from someone who has worked on a few emulators himself.

That kinda makes Nintendo, Capcom, Konami, Namco, Tecmo, Blizzard, Bungee, and all the other top game developers sound like sweatshops.
July 03, 2010 09:17PM
dancinninja

looking at it from a different perspective, official game developers get paid a stack load of money to make a game. Homebrew developers like myself are getting zero for doing it. I'm sure you know being a homebrew dev yourself how many hours of time we put into these projects.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2010 09:18PM by scanff.
July 03, 2010 09:50PM
Scanff, you bring up an interesting point. One that I am personally unfamiliar with. How much do developers make? I was under the impression that it was "not enough" for the amount of work that they do, as evidenced here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2010 10:08PM by dancinninja.
July 03, 2010 10:33PM
dancinninja
Scanff, you bring up an interesting point. One that I am personally unfamiliar with. How much do developers make? I was under the impression that it was "not enough" for the amount of work that they do, as evidenced here.

Well I'm not sure worldwide. I can say where I live (west coast, us) it's $100k+ if you are a C/C++ developer.
July 04, 2010 03:20AM
Huh, I did not know that. I still say that we should support official releases whenever possible, though.
July 10, 2010 02:23AM
Excluding the N64 games, in what way does the VC releases have "better graphics"?

Snes9x GX has optional graphics smoothing, VC does not.

VC games bought from the european Wii Shop will run at 576i (meaning the game gets squeezed in between two black bars) while homebrew emulators will run at the intended video mode.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login