Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Nintendo Hasn't... Quit On Wii Channels, Have They?

Posted by Luigi886 
Nintendo Hasn't... Quit On Wii Channels, Have They?
September 01, 2010 11:43PM
It's been quite a while since the release of another Wii Channel. I'm starting to get bored with all the stuff Nintendo has been releasing, and I can't imagine how someone WITHOUT Homebrew is still playing their Wii.

I'm hoping Nintendo NEVER quits on the Wii one day, and that maybe we need a few new channels. Of course, this is just MY opinion.
Re: Nintendo Hasn't... Quit On Wii Channels, Have They?
September 02, 2010 01:39AM
what kinda channel would you like to see added?

Maybe someone will like that idea and homebrew it.

Not that i'm looking for another idea (currently working on three homebrew projects) but fresh ideas are always welcome!
September 02, 2010 06:43PM
Of course Nintendo will drop support for the Wii one day. Thinking any different is a ridiculous notion.
September 02, 2010 11:56PM
I'm typically meaning that we haven't gotten some of the Wii Channels that Europe and Japan have right now, and we SHOULD get them. After all, we haven't had a new channel in over a year.
September 03, 2010 06:34PM
I think you use "we" too presumptuously. Not all users of this site are American. I for one am from a PAL region.
September 04, 2010 04:50AM
Personally, I hope Nintendo HAS given up on the Wii and has moved on to its successor.

I want to see Mario in 1080p.

Of course, Nintendo seems to have decided that releasing 700 DSes is a better option than replacing a console that was dated when it came out.
September 04, 2010 05:41AM
mdbrim
what kinda channel would you like to see added?

Maybe someone will like that idea and homebrew it.

Not that i'm looking for another idea (currently working on three homebrew projects) but fresh ideas are always welcome!

I'm personally talking about the channels Nintendo never gave us. Japan has like, 8 different channels we don't have, and we havn't gotten a new channel in a friggin year.

It's a little un-fair, ya know?
September 04, 2010 06:05AM
SifJar
I think you use "we" too presumptuously. Not all users of this site are American.

"never gave US"
"WE don't have"
"WE havn't(sic) gotten"

Luigi, stop throwing all those "we"s and "us"s around... a lot of the folks on this forum HAVE gotten them.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2010 06:07AM by mdbrim.
September 04, 2010 10:28PM
mdbrim
"never gave US"
"WE don't have"
"WE havn't(sic) gotten"

Luigi, stop throwing all those "we"s and "us"s around... a lot of the folks on this forum HAVE gotten them.

I was talking about the people who DIDN'T.

I know some people DO have them.
September 07, 2010 12:36AM
Luigi886
mdbrim
"never gave US"
"WE don't have"
"WE havn't(sic) gotten"

I was talking about the people who DIDN'T.

I know some people DO have them.

May I suggest speaking individually for yourself from now on? You're generalizing everyone when you say "we" instead of "I" or "me". Or at any rate, be more specific, like "we americans".

Getting back to topic... none of the available channels are personally of any use to me. At most, their just placeholders with no real meaning. Though they sound cool, they certainly have not piked my interest so that I feel compelled to download them, or use them for that matter.
Instead of developing "fun" channels, they should have made more useful channels, like what we already have in homebrew: a media player, a proper file manager, hell... I wouldn't mind if they allowed other web browsers a shot at the Wii instead of only having Opera. But that's just me.
September 21, 2010 10:58PM
They won't allow other browsers as all the other ones are open-source.
September 21, 2010 11:04PM
oldtopman
They won't allow other browsers as all the other ones are open-source.

Um, wut? That is not the reason for not allowing other browsers. The main reason would probably be that there is one, there's no point them going through hassle to get another one. And Opera probably have some sort of exclusivity agreement too. Why on earth would the fact there are open source browsers stop them releasing a different browser? It doesn't have to be a Wii version of Firefox or Chrome or something. It could be a completely new browser. This has got nothing to do with open or closed source internet browsers for computers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2010 11:05PM by SifJar.
September 26, 2010 02:47AM
Many of the region-specific channels are joint ventures between Nintendo and other companies. For example the BBC iPlayer is only available in UK because that's the only country the BBC have broadcasting rights in.
September 26, 2010 03:25AM
Phredreeke
Many of the region-specific channels are joint ventures between Nintendo and other companies. For example the BBC iPlayer is only available in UK because that's the only country the BBC have broadcasting rights in.

Oh yeah, forgot about that.

EDIT: BTW, I'm only talking about this because Nintendo hasn't given any JAP channels like "Wii no ma". There is no reason in my mind why it shouldn't be allowed in PAL and USA Wii's.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2010 04:48AM by Luigi886.
September 29, 2010 11:58PM
Wii no ma??

WTF? Luigi no ma...(mes)!!
September 30, 2010 02:28AM
Why not just use homebrew to watch videos? From what I've read (after a quick google search) there's lots of quality issues with the 'Wii no Ma' channel and it apparently mostly has commercials.
September 30, 2010 02:37AM
Indecently, I just downloaded a Wii No Ma WAD just to prove that it can be done. Download it with NUS Downloader and install it with your favorite WAD installer, and you are good to go (provided you have region free channel capability). No hassle with region changing the shop channel is necessary.
October 06, 2010 12:15AM
jbc007
Indecently, I just downloaded a Wii No Ma WAD just to prove that it can be done. Download it with NUS Downloader and install it with your favorite WAD installer, and you are good to go (provided you have region free channel capability). No hassle with region changing the shop channel is necessary.

A few things I have questions with:

1) It says NUS Downloader is a PC app. Where do I download it into?

2) I understand for The Chanel in title ID I put "00010001-HCIx", but then it says "HEX", followed by "00010001-484349xx". What's that?

3) This is loaded as an app, correct?
October 06, 2010 12:29AM
Luigi886
1) It says NUS Downloader is a PC app. Where do I download it into?

?? ... I'm guessing into a PC?

Luigi886
2) I understand for The Chanel in title ID I put "00010001-HCIx", but then it says "HEX", followed by "00010001-484349xx". What's that?

It is the hexadecimal equivalence resulting of converting each character to its ASCII value. Was it clear?

Luigi886
3) This is loaded as an app, correct?

Yes, as a PC app, that is, you double click on its icon :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2010 12:30AM by Axel.
October 06, 2010 01:03AM
1) Download it to your PC and double click on the executable.
2) Don't worry about that. Just use the database feature to select the things you want to download. It is much easier.
3) Correct, exactly like any other PC application.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2010 01:04AM by jbc007.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login