Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Descent computer game

Posted by dirtrider73068 
Descent computer game
September 12, 2010 05:05AM
Does anybody ever remember this game? It was released back in 1995, and was a great game to play, you were a pilot in a 3D effect game with 6degreess of freedom gameplay, I got to play it a few times way back in high school and fell in love with it, and have been searching for it to play on current PC systems, but haven't had much luck. In the wikipedia they say it was one of the best and most popular, it had been ported, playstation had a game like it, and it maybe be released on wiiware in the fall of 2010. Has anybody seen anything about it? Could it still be had somehow to play on like vista or windows7? Here is a wikipedia link that explains it for some that might need a memory refresh on it. I would love to get ahold of it to play again.

[en.wikipedia.org]
Re: Descent computer game
September 14, 2010 10:54PM
I remember that. Good game :D i hope it does make it to wii. It should be playable on windows 7 with a utility like dosbox. but i'm not sure, i'll take a look.
September 14, 2010 11:50PM
Yea it was good, would be cool if it does make it to the wii, I would get it. I read somewhere that it ran on msdos, so in theory, any windows OS that has ms dos should be able to run it. If you find out if it will run current Win Os's let me know where you find it at. I would like to buy a copy of it, and play it again. If somebody could port it or make a app like it for homebrew would neat too. Maybe I need to start studying on coding.
September 15, 2010 04:12AM
It is being ported for wii homebrew, but that's all I will say for now.
September 15, 2010 04:15AM
SWEET! thanks to whoever is doing the work.
September 15, 2010 05:01AM
Actually I'll answer your original questions too:

You can buy the original versions of Descent 1 and Descent 2 together for $5.99 here: [www.gog.com]
(the resource files from Descent 1 will be required for the wii homebrew port when it comes out.)

You might be able to get it to run under a DOS prompt window, but for me it crashed on startup (I think it panicked when it found 2GB of available memory). It does run under DOSBox (although not the wii port).

Instead for windows I would recommend taking a look at the DXX-Rebirth project: [www.dxx-rebirth.com]
This is a remake of the main engine(s) designed to take advantage of today's software + hardware (windows/linux + OpenGL).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login