Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What's with people

Posted by bg4545 
Re: What's with people
January 05, 2009 10:42PM
Arikado
Tetris only works with gamecube controllers. Also its good to see someone looking for information.

Mine works with a wiimote. Hmmm.... It might be the HBB version.
January 06, 2009 02:04AM
@Arikado, thanks again. I'm on my way to the store now to get a GC controller :) Excellent (Mr. Burns voice :) Smithers!
@All, Will post what I write when I write it up, hopefully you can make use of it as a reference.
January 06, 2009 03:39AM
Post it on wiibrew so we can all edit/expand it.
January 06, 2009 03:41AM
pinball Wizard
Arikado
Tetris only works with gamecube controllers. Also its good to see someone looking for information.

You're thinking of usctris.
January 06, 2009 09:32PM
Arikado
pinball Wizard
Arikado

You're thinking of usctris.

No I am sure. Here is the download link: [feesh.braingravy.co.uk]
January 08, 2009 05:10AM
References:
[forum.wiibrew.org]
[forum.wiibrew.org]
[wiibrew.org]
[hackmii.com]
Arikado Edit: Dont link to places containing info on how to run backups and how to install WADs
[hbc.hackmii.com]

Objective:
The purpose of this is provide some level of guidenance to green beans on how to install the twilight hack, home brew channel, and some important applications. Why would one want to install twilight hack and the home brew channel on their wii? Why to play Tetris of course! And to play all of the other games provided by the thoughtful game developers over at [wiibrew.org]. Additionally there is no reason to have Nintendo update the release of your wii operating system. The latest release will only prevent you from taking advantage of the nifty games and utilities that are out there for you to take advantage of (review the below download links to determine what downloads will not work on current releases, e.g., DVDx). These steps if followed from the time of purchase of the wii will assist in preventing the update of the wii operating system release when running a Nintendo game (e.g., install of twilight hack, home brew channel, patchmii, dvdx, and gecko OS).

Audience:
Not really sure who should or should not be reviewing this however you should be somewhat proficient in reading and following directions (albeit it is lengthy, sorry) and of course how to use a computer and a wii. I've just gotten my wii and I've gotten this far! Sorry I am not as versed as some other folks out there as I have no idea what a WAD is.

Things you'll need:
1. A wii that hasn't been played with yet or connected to the internet and received an update from Nintendo. I got my wii for Christmas (12/25/2008) and it had the 3.1U release. To determine your wii release: wii main channel page -> wii options -> wii settings -> review release in upper right corner of screen. Not sure but I would guess that in the future new wii's will come delivered with release 3.4 or eventually greater releases.
2. SD card (less than or equal to 2GB, must be formatted as FAT16 or FAT32 (NO SDHC cards))
3. Buy, borrow, or rent the game "The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princes"
4. A thorough review of [wiibrew.org]

Details:
Connect new wii to TV. Follow on screen prompts to set console language, date/time, name of device, etc. Follow prompts to connect the wii to your wireless (or wired) home network however when test connect is successfully do NOT allow Nintendo to update!! Additionally at this point do NOT set any parental controls.

Go to [hbc.hackmii.com] and download:
• The appropriate files (based on your wii release) from the "Twilight Hack" section. Hopefully as I've alluded to you are using a wii that has NOT been updated to current latest release 3.4U and still running the 3.1U release.
• The homebrew channel file from the ".DOL" section.
• The apps package file from the "Apps Package" section.

Go to [wiibrew.org] and download:
• "ELF to DOL Converter" from "PC-Based Utilities" section
• "Gecko OS" from "Loaders" section
• "Menu Loader" from "Loaders" section
• "MPlayer" from "Media" section

Go to [wiibrew.org] and download:
• "DVDX stub installer"
• "PatchMii core"

Extract all of these zip files to separate directories.
"Twilight Hack" zip file extracts and creates a "private" directory
".DOL" zip file extracts and creates a "the_homebrew_channel~" directory
"Apps Package" zip file extracts and creates a "hbc_apps" directory
"Gecko OS" zip file extracts and creates a "GeckoOS~" directory
"Menu Loader" zip file extracts and creates a "Menu Loader" directory
"MPlayer" zip file extracts and creates a "mplayer" directory
"DVDX stub installer" zip files and creates a "dvdx" directory.
No need to uncompress the "PatchMii core" (patchmii_core.dol) file as it already uncompressed.

Copy the following directories and all of their contents to the "apps" sub-directory under the "hbc_apps" directory (from "Apps Package" zip file):
"GeckoOS~" sub-directory (under the GeckoOS~\HBC\ directory)
"Menu Loader" directory
"mplayer" directory
"dvdx" directory
In the "apps" directory create a "patchmii" sub-directory. Copy the "PatchMii core" (patchmii_core.dol) file to it and rename it to "boot.dol"

Copy the "elf-dol_converter.bat" and the "powerpc-gekko-objcopy.exe" to the root of "hbc_apps" directory. Some files in the "apps" sub-directory are boot.elf files (which are no longer recognized) and they need to be converted to boot.dol (e.g., in the tetris, gc-linux, and regionfree directories) so that they can be recognized.

Read the Notice! section in [wiibrew.org]. Execute the "elf-dol_converter.bat" file and press enter 2 (two) times. Review the sub-directories in the "apps" directory that contained boot.elf files now contain boot.dol files. Delete any remaining boot.elf files (if any remain).

Copy the "private" directory and its contents and the "N64ROMS" directory and its contents (from extracted "Twilight Hack" zip file) to root of your SD card.

Copy only the "boot.dol" file (from the extracted ".DOL" zip file.) to root of your SD card.

Copy the "apps" directory and its contents (from under the "hbc_apps" directory) to root of your SD card.

You need to physically inspect the physical DVD "The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princes". Make a note what inner circle text is for the game that you have, e.g., RVL-RZDE-0A-2 USA. See [wiibrew.org].

Using the wii play the game "The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princes", press "A" and "B" buttons simultaneously to start the game, allow the game to create a save file, start a new quest log, accept character names as default by pressing the "A" button, play the game until you are able to control the movement of the character, i.e., you will need to press "A" button a few times to go through the games character dialog.

Once able to control the movement of the character in the game, press the "HOME" button and exit the game.

Use the wii and navigate to: wii main channel page -> wii options -> data management -> save data -> "wii" tab -> select the saved game of "The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princes" -> erase -> Yes

Remaining in the save data screen select the "sd card" tab -> select the appropriate twilight hack file -> copy -> Yes

Navigate back to the wii main channel page

Using the wii again play the game "The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princes", press "A" and "B" buttons simultaneously to start the game, choose the appropriate "TwilightHack" quest log file.
If your DVD game has the inner circle text of:
RVL-RZDE-0A-0 USA -> select the "TwilightHack0" file
RVL-RZDE-0A-2 USA -> select the "TwilightHack2" file

With the appropriate "TwilightHack" quest log file chosen Start the game again.

Now you should now be able to immediately control the movement of the character, make the character walk backwards then the "TwilightHack" is launched.

Instead of making the character walk backwards you can move the character close to another character and press "A" button to start a dialog with that character and then the "TwilightHack" is launched as well. Do yourself a favor and DO NOT START PLAYING THE GAME b/c apparently you may freeze up your wii and require the power to be recycled in order to unfreeze it.

READ THE DISCLAIMER! On a wii controller press the "1" button to continue.

Follow the prompts. On a wii controller the "1" button is accept and the "HOME" button is cancel.

Once you follow and accept all of the prompts your wii will reset.

Now from the wii main channel page you should be able to see "the homebrew channel", select and start it.

In "the homebrew channel" menu -> go to "patchmii" and load it -> the output should be similar to the example output shown at [hackmii.com]. This will assist in preventing the update of the wii operating system release when running a Nintendo game.

In "the homebrew channel" menu -> go to "dvdx" and load it -> select appropriate install, e.g., Normal Install -> press "A" button -> Exit -> press "A" button. This will allow you to utilize the MPlayer utility to turn your wii into a DVD player.

In "the homebrew channel" menu -> go to "Gecko OS" and load it -> press "B" button to reboot with hooks, once installed successfully you will be back at the wii main channel page -> press the Reset button on the wii console. This will assist in preventing the update of the wii operating system release when running a Nintendo game. However keep in mind, if your wii is unplugged this must be re-executed.

Now you can download and enjoy the other utilities and games that the developers at wiibrew have posted. Keep in mind that you need to save the downloaded file's sub-directory under the "apps" directory of your SD card in order for the "the homebrew channel" to be able to execute it and if what you've downloaded is a boot.elf remember it needs to be converted into boot.dol file.

It appears that some utilities might "brick" your wii therefore you should cautious about what you are downloading and executing on your wii, as a "bricked" wii is a non-usable wii until it is resolved, see the stickys at [forum.wiibrew.org].

For parental units you can now set parental controls.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2009 02:42PM by Arikado.
January 08, 2009 08:52AM
Nice guide. Well done
January 08, 2009 02:55PM
@CTRLVCTRLC -- My thoughts on your guide

Complaints/Misinformation

What you said about SD cards under 2. of what you'll need isnt entirely true. Some SD cards less than 2gb are too small to be correctly formatted and thus will not work with the twilight hack.

Another (big) mistake in your guide is where you tell people what kind of a Wii they need. I'd like to rremind you that the HBC will install itself on 3.4 Wii's. You just have to use beta 2 of the twilight hack.

Dont force people to install dvdx, Patchmii, and/or run Gecko OS. At least explain what they do.

Speaking of patchmii, it installs a cIOS which has nothing to do with helping ot prevent disc updates. If you update with patchmii installed, you might retain some fakesigning exploitation functionality (in short: the stuff needed for illegal stuff).

You fail to mention everything that Gecko OS reboot with hooks does. (ex: It also allows you to play games from any region)

You neglect to mention that in more than a few cases, it is possible to fix a bricked wii.

Finally, no linking to places that conatin information on how to install wads or run backups. You could be banned from this forum for that.

Reccomendations

I recomend downloading the homebrew browser and other apllications of the users choice from wiibrew as opposed to hackmiis application package. The part about .elf to .dol conversions was a little complicated for the people who dont understand the concept of the apps folder.

Take out the part where you say you're not well versed in wii homebrew. No one will take your guide seriously if they read that.

Shorten your guide. Its far longer than it needs to be. It also makes everything sound way to complex.

Verdict: Just get people throught the process of installing the HBC and running at least one application (I reccomend the homebrew browser). Everything else: using the elf to dol converter, protecting yourself with patchmii/gecko OS, running dvds etc. Should be their own seperate guides linked to one really simple guide. If an average user were to read your guide he/she would give up or spam our getting started section with redundant questions because your guide is too complex, not orderly (worry about the apps folder after you install the HBC), contains misinformation, doesn't fully explain why stuff works (unclear), and is ultimatey hard to follow.

Score: 2/10

Edited 9 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2009 03:14PM by Arikado.
January 08, 2009 05:17PM
@Arikado... The intent was for "Got a new Wii? Here's what to do?" type of thing, regardless, I appreciate your feedback and will revise and repost. Thanks.
January 08, 2009 05:39PM
CTRLCCTRLV
@Arikado... The intent was for "Got a new Wii? Here's what to do?" type of thing, regardless, I appreciate your feedback and will revise and repost. Thanks.
Everyone here, posting in this topic, is looking for a serious solution. I simply criticized your guide as though it were one. I'm not sure if I understand your intent, but if it was not a serious, definitive solution then it shouldnt have been posted in this topic.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login