Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

World Of Warcraft HOMEBREW GAME CHANCE

Posted by croalx 
January 21, 2009 03:47AM
hi to all i am new here but i needed to enter into the homebrew discussions hoping to bring good news
i searched a good mmorpg fow wii or either in gamecube emulation but nothing to do
so i looked at older dos games loke civilization and wow orks an humans and good news there's the chance to
port into the wii platform a wow like game named Stratagus (before was named freecraft)
and they ported really warcraft with a game engine in a multiplatform scale
it uses the dos cd data of warcraft 2 and is also multiplayer capable
what are we waiting for ?
peace!!!

the link is [stratagus.sourceforge.net]
January 21, 2009 04:54PM
-- moved topic --
Re: World Of Warcraft HOMEBREW GAME CHANCE
January 21, 2009 04:55PM
We're waiting for you to learn C++ and do it yourself :p
February 11, 2009 07:52PM
Arikado
We're waiting for you to learn C++ and do it yourself :p

i'll learn c++ if you give a smart answer :P <--- such a mature moderator :)
February 11, 2009 10:33PM
Smart answer: Its extremely hard to do. We dont even have a two player online game running on the Wii yet (but I'm playing around with a PONG one). To do a straight up port of a huge game like this takes alot of time from multiple individuals. To make that online capable as well is just as hard, maybe harder. Even if it was done, it would most likely be extremely laggy. This is speculatory, but you may also need to find someone to provide you with server space as well, since PC players may not be able to interact with Wii players. With that speculation in mind, alot of the online code would have to be rewritten to compensate.

Its extremely hard to get anyone around here to take up a project, much less a group of people on a nearly impossible project such as this. So when people like me see questions like this, we reply with the stock answer: "Learn C++ and do it yourself".

EDIT: The ":P" means I'm not trying to be rude or discouraging. It just lightens the mood. I think my comment would be ruder without it. Now that would be immature. But to each his own.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2009 11:36PM by Arikado.
February 11, 2009 10:52PM
Ummmm... I'm new here. Extremely laggy would be like Brawl laggy? (or at least as laggy as it was before)
February 11, 2009 11:29PM
Probably worse than Brawl laggy if one person has a slow router.

And welcome to the forums.

EDIT: Oh yeah, if the world craft game uses any pc libraries you'll have to port those too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2009 11:33PM by Arikado.
February 12, 2009 03:34PM
Sometimes I laugh with the innocence of some people [:P]

A strategy homebrew game would be interesting, though. Like Civilization (there's even a SDL-based port of the original game, so it wouldn't be that impossible).
February 12, 2009 06:44PM
This is a question that I was thinking about as well. I understand that Wii has a PPC processor and that makes it difficult to even consider running a game that was purely designed for the x86 family. So here lies the real conundrum.

I think the best steps to try and take would be to try and create an x86 emulator. After that, try and get an external HDD to house Windows XP. Then the Windows system would have to be able to use device drivers for the display, the WLAN adapter, and the DVD drive. So from that point, it would be a matter of installing WoW on the HDD and running it from within the Windows environment. Yeah I make it sound easy, but guess what, it won't be!

So an alternative that I am looking into is seeing what can be done with Linux. Any Ubuntu user will vouch for the program called Wine. Basically Wine enables a Linux user to install Windows Applications and run them on Linux.
February 12, 2009 09:22PM
tico1177
This is a question that I was thinking about as well. I understand that Wii has a PPC processor and that makes it difficult to even consider running a game that was purely designed for the x86 family. So here lies the real conundrum.

I think the best steps to try and take would be to try and create an x86 emulator. After that, try and get an external HDD to house Windows XP. Then the Windows system would have to be able to use device drivers for the display, the WLAN adapter, and the DVD drive. So from that point, it would be a matter of installing WoW on the HDD and running it from within the Windows environment. Yeah I make it sound easy, but guess what, it won't be!

So an alternative that I am looking into is seeing what can be done with Linux. Any Ubuntu user will vouch for the program called Wine. Basically Wine enables a Linux user to install Windows Applications and run them on Linux.

I'm sure this has been covered elsewhere on these forums, but I'll repeat it. Wine Is Not an Emulator (that is actually what WINE stands for), and thus it will not emulate an x86 processor, but it is simply a Windows-compatible runtime environment which allows for Windows applications to run in other operating systems on an x86 processor.
February 12, 2009 11:08PM
Ummm Where do you get that I am saying Wine is an emulator. In fact, I said "Basically Wine enables a Linux user to install Windows Applications and run them on Linux." That is not emulation. Emulation is simply running the software without installation. Wine ALLOWS installation of Windows apps to Linux so they can run in Linux. Anyway, what I am thinking about is an emulator that will translate from PPC to x86 and back. On my other forum post about "Running Windows" someone mentioned such an emulator. Here is the post:

DanielHueho
Actually, is possible to run older versions of Windows on any platform, with an appropriate emulator. In this case, a x86-architeture emulator. And this thing actually exists, it's open-source, it's coded in portable C, and it's cleverly disguised as a DOS environment emulator... Yeah, DOSBox. I already have heard of people running Windows 95 and 98 with some tweaks under DOSBox, and I myself have tried Win 3.1 (which is mainly a DOS GUI anyway) using the app. Of course, it would be really slow, compared to a real machine, but it's possible.

For a full experience with alternative OS on Wii, however, Linux is still the best.

Here is a link to my post.
[forum.wiibrew.org]

BTW... my post is virtually on the same thing because I too would be interested in making WoW work on the Wii. Before everyone starts throwing the tomatoes, just think about using the Wii remotes as your mouse pointer and then doing some killer pvp battlegrounds! Lol. What a challenge and would be awesome.
February 13, 2009 12:49AM
wine is not sufficient for this: an emulator is required. Those exist, and it's probably not even very hard to get Windows running on wii-linux under, say, qemu. There are, however, some minor problems:
- no graphics acceleration
- barely any memory
- it probably runs about a hundred times slower than a PC
Re: World Of Warcraft HOMEBREW GAME CHANCE [Solved]
February 13, 2009 01:27AM
Instructions:
Plug computer or laptop to TV.
Get a Bluetooth adapter and sync with Wiimote.

Make sure OS outputs through the TV.
Load WoW. (May have to setup Wiimote program or something to bind to certain actions)

Play WoW using Wiimote.

Detailed instructions here: or here

Bonus!:
...If you really want, get a sticky label, and write in big letters "WII" and stick onto computer.
...If you really really want to, take a picture of the Wii, print it, then stick onto the computer.

Problem solved.

N.B Some wheels do not need reinventing because everything that is made will probably (see optimism!) be a 1 ton square every time.

Disclaimer.... :P

If you think I am rude, then okay.

Next time, please show some references to indicate that the idea is feasible, so link some good searches like: "How to write a x86 emulator", or "How to do networking on a PC" or "How to emulate Directx or OpenGL on the Gamecube / Wii" or "World of Warcraft source code leaked somewhere (but not this forum post)" from Google or something.

Then the idea would be more interesting.
Other than that, WoW is a great game, just why, why, why would you play it on anything other than a PC / Mac / whatever.

Hopefully you will like Arikado post a little bit more now.
Re: World Of Warcraft HOMEBREW GAME CHANCE [Solved]
February 13, 2009 01:31AM
I am really not a mean person but start small first (especially if you do not have experience with C++ or programming) when you want people to listen to game ideas. Then, from the game development experience, broaden your mind to new and bigger horizons.

That being said, you have a good imagination, don't stop giving game ideas which maybe feasible. I hope you understand what I mean.
February 13, 2009 09:00AM
Umm, I think the guy misspoke, or is just confused, because he started off talking about Warcraft 2: Orcs and Humans. He also mentioned the FOSS clone of WC2, Stratagus. Warcraft != World of Warcraft, a confusion that makes many Warcraft III players such as myself cringe. Porting Stratagus to the Wii would at least be several orders of magnitude easier than WoW, but still, as others have said, if you really want to see it, do it yourself and try to get a team and learn to program really well, because it's still going to be a fairly massive undertaking.
February 25, 2009 05:01AM
I was wondering is learning C++ hard? I would be interested but I work about 50+ hours a week and have 2 kids (would I have the time?). I don't know Linux (which I'm sure is a huge disadvantage)
I run XP Black (if that is gonna remove this post i meant XP Home)
I am familar with DOS (a forgotten art)
So what are my odds?
February 25, 2009 05:11AM
Your odds of learning C++ are very good. Grab yourself a book on it (C++ in 21 days is great) and commit yourself to reading a chapter a week. Learning the language is half the journey, you'll want to find about a good half hour to practice what you learn after you read a chapter or learn a signifgant bit of the language.
May 27, 2009 05:05AM
tico1177
This is a question that I was thinking about as well. I understand that Wii has a PPC processor and that makes it difficult to even consider running a game that was purely designed for the x86 family.

There is a PPC version of the WoW client - the Mac version is a "universal binary" supporting both the older PPC Macs and the new intel chipsets.
May 27, 2009 06:10AM
Never played WoW, so I can't tell you anything useful. However, I will say this.

How hard would it be to port over JavaScript code? Because if you are interested in a MMORPG, I would suggest downloading the open-source private-server "MoparScape"(Yeah, I know. Lame old runny-nose-scape) However, because you would have access to all of the JS files and scripts, this might lead to a potential port on the Wii. Thus, from there, use what you learn and try to port over WoW. Just my two cents...(I'm a web developer, not C++ or anything...)
May 27, 2009 06:24AM
Way to necro... <.<
Javascript != Java, slyfox
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login