Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wii with broken gpu

Posted by pcmantinker 
Wii with broken gpu
January 24, 2009 11:40PM
My first Wii was notorious in having its gpu fry during electrical storms. I had it plugged into a surge protector that many other appliances were plugged into as well. The first time my first wii's gpu fried, I was able to send it to Nintendo for repairs becuase it was still under warranty. The second time that it happened however, I was not so lucky. I was not so quick to send my Wii off to Nintendo again becuase they were going to charge me $90 for the repair. Since then, I bought my second Wii from eBay and it's been working fine. I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to replace the Wii's gpu or whether I should just pay Nintendo to fix it. Nintendo did say that they would extend the warranty another year if I do the repair with them however, so that is an incentive to do it with them. Though, I'm not liking the whole fact of having my save games being wiped when they do the repair. I wish there was a way to read the saves from my old wii and back them up. Oh well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2009 11:41PM by pcmantinker.
Re: Wii with broken gpu
January 24, 2009 11:57PM
You could copy the saves to an SD card then to a computer or something...
January 24, 2009 11:59PM
Yeah, I could, but I forgot to mention that I am unable to see anything on the screen. It's not too big of a deal, but I was just wondering it was possible. I think that I will save up some money and repair the Wii so I can get a warranty extension.
January 27, 2009 07:40AM
I wonder if you can just start up FTPii blindly and use that to copy everything? HBC even has a function to send binaries over the LAN, so as long as you could manage to get it started, you'd be good.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2009 07:41AM by HyperHacker.
January 30, 2009 11:24PM
Erm, how do you know it's the GPU? If you try to replace the Hollywood package, you will be an unhappy camper.
January 30, 2009 11:50PM
HyperHacker
I wonder if you can just start up FTPii blindly and use that to copy everything? HBC even has a function to send binaries over the LAN, so as long as you could manage to get it started, you'd be good.

Once BootMii is released I bet you could get something like this to run on start up ;)

P.S. Not fully sure how bootmii is installed so this might not work unless the system scans for the files automatically already without install. Not sure on bootmii.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login