Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

SPECULATION: Dreamcast 2?

Posted by pinball Wizard 
SPECULATION: Dreamcast 2?
January 29, 2009 04:01AM
It is a 2 year old article based only on speculation but I can hope right?

[www.videogamer.com]

The Dreamcast was just released at the wrong time with the wrong hardware. It had a never been heard of technology with GD-Rom disc (1GB discs) great to stop piracy for longer than I expected. Sony really killed the Dreamcast with the DVD drive. Either way, what do you all think about it.
Re: SPECULATION: Dreamcast 2?
January 29, 2009 09:51AM
Impossible at the circunstances.

Sega doesn't have nearly the same budget as before, at the good times. They are pretty broken.

EDIT:
pinball wizard
The Dreamcast was just released at the wrong time with the wrong hardware.

Hmmm, that sounds familiar:

=P

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2009 09:54AM by DanielHueho.
January 29, 2009 02:58PM
I don't think anyone can predict who will be making consoles 5-10 years from now. If you asked me 10 - 15 years ago I would have told you that sega and nintendo would always control the market. During the gamecube years I thought that Nintendo might leave the home console market because they couldn't compete (money wise) with Sony and Microsoft. Now I think that Sony is near the end of its run in the console market. Its all about who is the most innovative and who has the best in house and third party support.
January 29, 2009 04:01PM
As much as I would love to see another sega console, I also think the market is too crowded with three consoles.
January 29, 2009 04:32PM
Arikado
As much as I would love to see another sega console, I also think the market is too crowded with three consoles.

Personally, I think Mircrosoft is about done with consoles. They lose a little over 1 billion dollars a year with the system. The system still has yet to make any profit in any one quarter or year. I do see the idea of it being too crowded though.

DanielHueho
Impossible at the circunstances.

Sega doesn't have nearly the same budget as before, at the good times. They are pretty broken.

EDIT:
pinball wizard
The Dreamcast was just released at the wrong time with the wrong hardware.

Hmmm, that sounds familiar:

=P

PS3 had the wrong release time I think more so than wrong hardware. Being an owner of a PS3 now it does seem like a decent system with great hardware. The biggest problem was no one could see putting $600 for a game console where Sony wanted it to have a multimedia label on it. Marketing is a make or break deal on things.
January 29, 2009 05:48PM
Interesting about what you said about microsoft unable to make any profit from there xbox's yet. Makes you wonder why they even bothered releasing the 360.

BTW, out of three current consoles, I personally believe the PS3 is the best one. However, I'm waiting for another model with PS2 backward compatibility before I take the plunge.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2009 05:48PM by Arikado.
January 29, 2009 08:16PM
the ps3 has great graphics but i like the wii more because its very simple because of the no hardrive idea. most xboxs that ive seen have either been turned into an emulator of somesort or my favorite a personal laptop. the one thing i really dont like about the wii is the 512 memory i wished the would have been nice enough to put a 1gb so things like linux can have a GUI. but thats just me.

also the ps3 is using the bluray discs and i think that is a bit much for what they are but they do help prevent the wrong use of the systems.
January 29, 2009 08:25PM
I love the fact the ps3 uses bluray. That way I get a blueray player and a game machine for one purchase. Also, the blueray disc size is about (I may be exaggerating a bit here) 3 or 4 times bigger than the size of the of the discs xbox 360 and wii discs. Just look at games like metal gear solid 4 and resistance 2, they could never work on a 360.
January 30, 2009 12:55AM
Arikado
Interesting about what you said about microsoft unable to make any profit from there xbox's yet. Makes you wonder why they even bothered releasing the 360.

BTW, out of three current consoles, I personally believe the PS3 is the best one. However, I'm waiting for another model with PS2 backward compatibility before I take the plunge.

Something makes me doubt that will occur. I am still miffed that they took out PS2 support because that is my model. They took it out in the new models but previous models involved only software emulation. Why take out support for PS2 if it wasn't adding to manufacturing costs? Either way I don't plan on getting rid of the PS3 anytime soon. The wii is a great system either way especially because most games doesn't involve sitting down and playing for 2 hours (at least ;)) to play. I can say fire up Wii Sports and play for fifteen minutes and feel better about eating some of the junk food I eat.
February 01, 2009 04:00AM
I hardly think that Sega has plans to release a next gen system, but I could be wrong. I haven't seen them make any attempts to compete with the market as far as consoles goes since the N64 and PS1 release, which was over 10 years ago. The Dreamcast was a good console for its time. They claimed it was more powerful than the N64 and PS1 combined. When the Gamecube was released, Sony released the PS2 and Microsoft joined the competition with the first Xbox. Yet, no new Sega console. However, Sega remains alive through game licensing with Nintendo. I'm not sure what happened to Sega, but I suppose they didn't have the budget to keep up with everyone else.
February 01, 2009 04:15AM
Sega began to lose tons of money when they were trying to support the genesis, saturn, 32x, and CD with new games all at the same time. Consumers became confused and stood behind the consistent marketing of Nintendo and Sony. Sensing they were running out of time, Sega released the overexpensive and ahead of its time dreamcast. It failed like the atari jaguar a few years before it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login