Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sending modded wii in for repairs

Posted by seek 
Sending modded wii in for repairs
February 11, 2009 11:41PM
So I have a banner bricked wii, the system files are corrupted somehow. Considering my options, I can either wait until BootMii is ready or I could try sending the console in to the nintendo repair factory. My question, though, is, should I send it in or not? It doesn't have any hardware mods, I've never opened it up, and the only thing I've put on it is the HBC (using the twilight hack of course, and I erased that specific save game). So, what would happen if I send it in? Do you think they would fix it, or just send it back saying I voided my warranty or something?
Re: Sending modded wii in for repairs
February 12, 2009 03:52AM
I've heard that Nintendo doesn't really care if it's a soft-mod.
February 12, 2009 04:41AM
Oh really? That would be sweet seeing as how all they need to do really is just format it. Anyone else think Nintendo wouldn't care about soft-mods?
February 12, 2009 03:35PM
Soft mods void your waranty. So Nintendo may charge you or not do anything at all.

Tell me, were you unsuccessful in fixing your wii yourself?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2009 10:33PM by Arikado.
February 12, 2009 05:21PM
Well, I'm not sure how to fix it. I've looked around and no one seems to have a solution to this. The system files are corrupted, so I can't boot into the menu to format. Do I have any options other than sending it in (or waiting for BootMii)?
February 12, 2009 07:39PM
Have you tried savemii or savemiifrii?
February 13, 2009 03:22AM
OK, so I'm trying savemiifrii right now, and I'm not sure if it's working. I was able to successfully boot to the screen showing the version number at the bottom right (which is 3.4 in my case...oops). I have Smash Brothers Brawl in right now, and i can hear it being read, so I don't know if the wii is updating from the disc or not. If that doesn't work, is there any wii game that comes with a system update that could be used to restore my system?
February 13, 2009 09:25PM
You have to wait until we get system menu 3.5 out. Then buy/rent a game with 3.5 on it.
February 13, 2009 11:24PM
Well, I think I might try sending it in to nintendo to get it fixed. I mean, at worst I have to pay for the repair costs right? There doesn't seem to be set release date for system menu 3.5, and I don't want to wait that long....Any ideas how much nintendo would charge for this kind of repair?
February 13, 2009 11:32PM
You could call or e-mail customer support and ask them. Just be sure to mention, "I have voided my Wii's warranty and have now software bricked my Wii".
February 14, 2009 02:30AM
how is softmodding warranty voiding?
February 14, 2009 03:14AM
DrLucky
how is softmodding warranty voiding?

It is a gray area. We have stories where people have sent in softmodded wii's and gotten them repaired, coming back with HBC still installed. Technically though the warranty states that modifications to the system will void the warranty. Lawyers left it blank so that they can twist it anyway they need.

Honestly, I think that I wouldn't bother sending it in. Just have some patience because the repair I think is listed at $90. Unless you have a wii within the warranty. Nintendo doesn't ever give release dates for system menus, they just appear. It has been a good 2 months since last update so soon they will find a poor way to patch hacks that doesn't work so soon. Patience is the game.
February 14, 2009 03:46AM
Hmm...well I sent NOA an email, so we'll see. Pure speculation, but which seems more likely to come out first, a new system menu or BootMii? Also, if I left my Wii on when the new system menu came out, could it be possible that it would auto download and update?
February 14, 2009 03:55AM
Nope. If it won't boot to get to the system menu or at least anything visual on a normal, regular start-up then you aren't getting the updates.
February 14, 2009 01:57PM
I'd have to say a new system menu before BootMii because Nintendo has been touting some huge update which will let you play channels off of SD cards in March. And I know Bootmii wont be out in March.
February 14, 2009 03:03PM
Well, looks like a waiting game then, thanks all for your help! I'd be lost without these answers.
February 16, 2009 12:51AM
DON'T SEND IT TO NINTENDO
I had a friend who sent a Wii that was bricked becuz of HBC and not only did nintendo not fix it or even send it back, they made him pay a FINE (but I dunno if it's cuz he had roms on it or not) HE LEFT HIS SD CARD IN ON TOP OF IT CUZ HE THOUGHT THAT IT WOULD HELP THEM FIX IT!!! ahahahahaha (but it was a BIG wast of money)
he had lyk 50 GBA and N64 roms on his 8GB SD card so his fine was lyk over $1000

no joke :l
February 16, 2009 12:55AM
I'd blame the illegal roms on the SD card, not the HBC.
February 16, 2009 12:59AM
February 16, 2009 01:04AM
How big was the fine they made your friend pay?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login