Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

HBC does not read from USB after IOS58 - WiiMC reloaded

Posted by R0z3 
HBC does not read from USB after IOS58 - WiiMC reloaded
February 03, 2012 08:34PM
The fact that the USB used to work with Homebrew Channel means that the problem isn't in the code otherwise it wouldn't have worked at all EVER. Or at least it shouldn't. I know tueidj wrote the code that utilizes the IOS in the first place, but the Wii isn't new enough to have that problem. As a matter of fact, larrycooper, does your Wii have the inputs for gamecube controllers on the top/side? If so, you might just go ahead and upgrade to 4.3 system menu and make sure all of your IOSes you could need are there. You won't lose anything you can't reinstall.
Now, don't get me wrong. I've seen a lot of crazy things from these systems. Everything from non-Nintendo MAC addresses in the older systems to the NAND suddenly denying access for no particular reason after reading it.
But your best bet when it comes to IOS installation is going to be Dop-Mii or a System Menu update. I say Dop-Mii because it'll tell you exactly what you already have installed and what it does while not requiring a specific IOS to already be installed in order to do its job properly.

So, if you delete this, you're taking away any ideas that the person who asked the question was requesting in the first place. It's their option to decide if it makes sense or not or to even decide what to try. But these tools are generally pretty standard things and their Wii is about as old as my own--if not, older. They've been a part of this site for over a year now.

So, please run through these steps if you're still not completely satisfied:

0. Double check that your apps folder didn't get renamed by accident. Tried to tell you this before, but someone decided it wasn't important. Test it then.
1. Run Dop-Mii
2. Tell it to upgrade/install system menu 4.3 as this will install the other IOS files and you'll lose nothing including Homebrew Channel. Might lose Priiloader though, but can be reinstalled.
3. Exit Dop-Mii
4. Run Hackmii installer (preferably from Homebrew Channel by putting the boot.elf file in a folder in apps [will probably show up as a blank box])
5. Reinstall Homebrew to Boot2 if possible or IOS if not.
6. Go ahead and refresh your Bootmii files on your SD card while you're here by uninstalling and reinstalling Bootmii (you've probably lost them at some point in trying different things)
7. Toss your stuff over to a FAT32 formatted USB stick. Make sure your subfolders are in apps or it won't work.
8. If your Wii is laying flat (square side down) make sure you plug your USB into the BOTTOM USB port. The top one doesn't like to work so well.
9. Press 1 and select USB from the menu.
10. Profit.

If that doesn't work, you can just load Dop-Mii and return to 4.2 if you're really set on using it for some reason. There's a new hack that works for most Wii systems running 4.3 system menu. Most systems have a Nintendo MAC address prefix. Some of the older systems don't (back when menu 3.2 was standard), but they're rare.

With any luck, you'll get this before someone decides to abuse their privileges again. If not, I'll just post it elsewhere possibly with a demonstration video in 720P.
Re: HBC does not read from USB after IOS58 - WiiMC reloaded
February 03, 2012 09:04PM
@d3m0n1q_733rz
You are not allowed to create more than one account. As such this account will be banned.
Re: HBC does not read from USB after IOS58 - WiiMC reloaded
February 03, 2012 10:27PM
R0z3
The fact that the USB used to work with Homebrew Channel means that the problem isn't in the code otherwise it wouldn't have worked at all EVER. Or at least it shouldn't. I know tueidj wrote the code that utilizes the IOS in the first place, but the Wii isn't new enough to have that problem.
The USB2 code (used when HBC is running on IOS58) is completely different to the USB1 code (used for all other IOSes). The code compiled into HBC 1.0.8 is also very old and contains known bugs, such as telling the drive to sleep/wake up very frequently. I would have thought that since you acknowledge that I reverse engineered the interface and wrote the code for it, you'd also acknowledge that I know how it works better than you do but apparently not.

Nothing else you suggest is relevant; the IOS is installed fine because HBC is not upside down and WiiMC works with the USB drive.

8. If your Wii is laying flat (square side down) make sure you plug your USB into the BOTTOM USB port. The top one doesn't like to work so well.
This is just stupid, the recommendation to use the bottom port comes from warez loaders because their crappy cios only recognizes USB storage devices when they're connected to that slot. IOS58 can use either port as well as supporting devices connected through hubs.

Go ahead and post your demonstration video if you like. Maybe you can even include a shot of your elusive MAC address, since you've failed to produce one despite hanging around these forums for weeks being a pain after I asked you to provide it.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.