Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

WiiDoom 0.1 Alpha released for the Wii!

Posted by lnuxguy 
WiiDoom 0.1 Alpha released for the Wii!
August 22, 2008 07:11PM
I just put out the first alpha version of WiiDoom. This is based on PrBoom, so it's compatible with every (I think) version of Doom, Doom II, Final Doom, and FreeDoom. This features Metroid style controls. Please check it out and enjoy.

Project Homepage
Google Code site
Re: WiiDoom 0.1 Alpha released for the Wii!
August 22, 2008 08:28PM
Great! I can't wait to try this out.
August 22, 2008 08:41PM
Wait, so will this let me play the full version of doom? What's in the .zip?
August 22, 2008 09:09PM
wow this is awsome havent tried it yet but just the concept makes me beam. Anyways has anyone downloaded and played it yet? how does it work? are any of the dooms included in the package or do you have to download them?
August 22, 2008 09:13PM
sry for the double post but i just read the page about it and it says that Freedoom will be included, so that answers one of my questions ha.
August 22, 2008 09:14PM
It works with all the Dooms. Since the Doom wad files are still commercial, I can't include them in the zip. The Freedoom wad file is in there, if you have nothing else.
August 22, 2008 10:29PM
Exactly what is Free Doom?
August 22, 2008 10:45PM
Here's the site:

http://freedoom.sourceforge.net/

It's just an open source version of Doom, so you don't need to own a copy of Doom to play it.
August 22, 2008 11:28PM
hey i just put it under the apps folder of my sd card (beware this may be very noobish) and when i started it up on the HBC it said something about not having an IWID or something like that, then it returns to the HBC. What have i done wrong? is it becuase i havent put a doom on there to play.
August 23, 2008 12:13AM
Did you copy the "prboom" folder to the SD card?

-- Instructions --
Twilight Hack method: Copy the prboom folder and boot.elf into the root directory of your SD card. Launch via Twilight Hack.

Homebrew Channel: Copy the WiiDoom directory (inside the apps directory) into the "apps" folder of your SD card. Copy the prboom folder to the root directory of your SD Card. Launch the Homebrew Channel.

Inside the prboom folder, you'll see prboom.wad and freedoom.wad. If you want to play "normal"
DOOM (i.e. DOOM/DOOM II/Final DOOM), move freedoom.wad to another directory and copy the
version you want into this folder (doom.wad, doom2.wad, etc..).

Once Doom comes up, you'll need to disconnect and reconnect the Nunchuk. This is a temporary bug, but seems
to be common with Wii homebrew.
August 23, 2008 12:39AM
Maybe this is just my dial-up internet but I can only download about one megabyte of the .zip before the link breaks.
August 23, 2008 12:56AM
thanks stevey ya i should have read the readme lol
August 23, 2008 04:46AM
Arikado
Maybe this is just my dial-up internet but I can only download about one megabyte of the .zip before the link breaks.
Yeah it's probably your dial-up...Mine doesn't complete stuff too.
August 23, 2008 02:27PM
@LOLDSFAN
Mine has completed a gigabyte download once in the past. I can get about 1 - 3 megabytes before the link breaks.

Is there another place other than googlecode we can all download this from?

EDIT: A new version just came out. Hopefully I'll have better luck when I try to download it later.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2008 01:15AM by Arikado.
August 24, 2008 06:41AM
This works pretty awesome I even got Chex Quest to work with it and I'm working on getting the Super Mario Doom to work on it also. A few things this needs is first IR support as well as fix for the whole A and B buttons not working on the Menu. Second thing it needs is a WAD selection menu that would be really nice so we can have more then one doom mod on the sd card at a time and load it you should make it similar to the menu that is used in the Doom DS port.
August 24, 2008 08:07PM
Great job! It works really well so far. A few things that I would want included:
If you strafe left, then it sometimes doesn't let you strafe right immediately after.
Music doesn't seem to work. This was a really great part of playing Doom in DOS.
Maybe add some way to enable the cheat codes (IDSPISPOPD).
Gamecube controller support.
Like others said, a WAD switcher.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2008 08:19PM by Ibrewii.
August 24, 2008 09:48PM
Can I download this somwhere other than googlecode?
August 24, 2008 10:32PM
It's on the homebrew browser.
August 24, 2008 10:42PM
Dont have high speed internet :(
August 25, 2008 12:05AM
Arikado
Mine has completed a gigabyte download once in the past. I can get about 1 - 3 megabytes before the link breaks.
Wow mine is on and off...sometimes it can have the hardest time doing 3, but like 15, an hour latter it does it.

Arikado
Dont have high speed internet :(
Me neither but the Nintendo Wifi USB Connector works for me at 28.8kbps XP.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login