Hi all,

I've released the latest version of my MahJongg Wii game not at v0.3

Here are the changes in this release:-

* Added two player co-op mode
* Added full set of menus as per new graphics courtesy of DayDreamOz
* Added pause to game mode entered and exited by pressing a pause icon
* New homebrew channel icon by DayDreamOz
* Cleaned up resources better
* Fixed major bugs that was causing game to dump when moving between the game and the menus
* Fixed graphical glitch on startup

And heres the link to the page on wiibrew: MahJongg Wii Homepage

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2009 10:09PM by JustWoody.
Re: MahJongg Wii v0.4 released
September 02, 2008 06:48PM
All,

I've now released v0.4 of my Mahjongg Wii game, heres whats new:-

* Added multiple tile layouts (four to start with) (re-wrote tile engine to handle this)
* Added shuffle option when no more tiles pairs left
* Added an icon and count of the number of available matching tiles during the game
* Made the non-selectable tiles slightly darker that the selectable ones so easier to see
* Added a gong sound to the start of the game
* Added new true type font for all non static text (tile layout names, time in game, etc)

Link to the home page and download in the last post.
Re: MahJongg Wii v0.3 released (now v0.4!)
September 02, 2008 11:15PM
Keep up the good work :) 0.4 is so good, I wonder what else you can add?
September 03, 2008 08:10AM
Arikado
Keep up the good work :) 0.4 is so good, I wonder what else you can add?

Cheers Arikado, I've got a fairly long list of stuff to add:-) :

* Multiple tile sets
* 2 player versus mode
* Animated characters
* Hover highlight selectable tiles
* Hint feature with 30 second penalty
* High score table
* Selectable characters in 2 player modes
* Multiple language support via language files
* Save/load of settings to SD card

That lot may take me some time! + a'm always looking for suggestions for new features too
September 03, 2008 01:57PM
That's a retail quality list! Always looking forward to the next release :)
September 05, 2008 04:20AM
I love this game, I'd never played MahJongg before, my girlfriend wanted it but it's really addictive. I've still never finished a game! The new shuffle feature didn't even make it any easier, the last two tiles were on top of one another on my last game. Bug?
Keep up the good work!
September 05, 2008 09:51AM
XanLoves
I love this game, I'd never played MahJongg before, my girlfriend wanted it but it's really addictive. I've still never finished a game! The new shuffle feature didn't even make it any easier, the last two tiles were on top of one another on my last game. Bug?
Keep up the good work!

Cheers XanLoves, I'm planning to change the shuffle in the next release so that during the shuffle sequence it keeps track of which tile configuration resulted in the most available matches and use this as the final shuffle. On top of that I am thinking of building the tileset up using an algorithm that ensures that the game can be completed (assuming the tiles are replaced in the right order)
September 07, 2008 12:17PM
Congratulations to JustWoody!!!

This game is really great and has a very professional look.
Just have to work out how to enable the second remote in the homebrew channel.

Bye
Heli
Re: MahJongg Wii v0.5 12Oct08
October 12, 2008 11:10AM
Hi all,

I have release v0.5 of my MahJongg Wii solitaire game, here are the changes in this version:

* Added multi-language support currently supporting English, French, Italian, Dutch, German, Spanish, Catalan, Japanese and Portuguese
* Wrote an algorithm to initialise the tiles so that tiles pairs are added in a selectable order
* Added a language selection menu including waving flags when hovering above them
* Allowed entering and exiting pause in game by pressing the plus button on the wiimote
* Allowed the type of game to be selectable by hovering over the pictures as well as the text
* Changed all selectable text so that they are selectable for the size of the text for the chosen language

If anyone would like to contribute translations to any other languages please visit the talk page of the MahJongg Wii homepage MahJongg Wii Homepage

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2008 11:15AM by JustWoody.
October 12, 2008 12:10PM
Congrats on the release. Definately some polished work you've put together

JustWoody
* Wrote an algorithm to initialise the tiles so that tiles pairs are added in a selectable order
Does this mean every game will be completable?

JustWoody
* Allowed the type of game to be selectable by hovering over the pictures as well as the text
Yay! :-) It's the small things...
October 12, 2008 01:54PM
whodares
Congrats on the release. Definately some polished work you've put together

Cheers dude

whodares

Yes, if you select the tiles in the same order they were laid down in, but in reality as there are four of each tile to select, its pretty likely that the player will chose different tiles so the game will go down a different path
Re: MahJongg Wii v0.3 released (now v0.5! 12Oct08)
October 12, 2008 09:16PM
Great job. Can't believe you put in all those languages (especially the japanese). Looking forward to trying the new release out later.
October 12, 2008 11:11PM
Yeah the Japanese was a bit tricky as I'm not used to the different alphabet + the programmers notepad only supports standard ASCII. So, I had to make a mapping of the Japanese letters to ASCII characters and to change the Japanese translations to these mappings. Not easy!

The way I've coded it now means that its pretty straightforward to add other languages without too much work so may get a load more languages in the next version if people supply the translations. (Someone has already posted Hungarian for the next release)
October 13, 2008 10:23AM
JustWoody
whodares

Yes, if you select the tiles in the same order they were laid down in, but in reality as there are four of each tile to select, its pretty likely that the player will chose different tiles so the game will go down a different path

Excellent. I always prefer a game which is possible to complete (hence why I prefer Freecell over Solitaire)
October 13, 2008 11:41PM
JustWoody
Yeah the Japanese was a bit tricky as I'm not used to the different alphabet + the programmers notepad only supports standard ASCII. So, I had to make a mapping of the Japanese letters to ASCII characters and to change the Japanese translations to these mappings. Not easy!

The way I've coded it now means that its pretty straightforward to add other languages without too much work so may get a load more languages in the next version if people supply the translations. (Someone has already posted Hungarian for the next release)

Wow. Getting the japanese in that way is currently beyond my coding abilities. Did you also have to use different fonts for languages like Portugese with those symbols above and below the letters?
October 14, 2008 05:44PM
Arikado
Wow. Getting the japanese in that way is currently beyond my coding abilities. Did you also have to use different fonts for languages like Portugese with those symbols above and below the letters?

I added the extra letters to the standard Latin font that I had created by hand, but again had to do some mapping in a similar way to the Japanese as these are also not supported. A fair amount of work, but hopefully worth it.

The japanese font is separate to the Latin one though. Most of these are actually Chinese characters, so if someone does a Chinese translation it shouldn't be too much work to get that working too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2008 05:46PM by JustWoody.
Re: MahJongg Wii v0.6 released (08Nov08)
November 08, 2008 03:56PM
Hi,

I've now release version 0.6 of my Mahjongg Wii game, here is the change log:-

* Added versus mode!
* Re-factored the tile selection processing and completed all coding around tile selection for both versus and coop modes
* Added option to restart the game when paused or no more moves left
* Added option to start a new game without going back to the menu when current game has finished
* Changed so that if only two tiles are left which are on top of each other the game finishes
* Fixed bug where tile placement algorithm gets stuck in an infinite loop when it cannot place all tiles successfully. Now if this occurs it finishes the shuffle and returns to no more moves mode
* Alternated which pointer is drawn first every frame to not give the advantage to player one in two player versus mode
* Added separate tile selections per player (this affects the co-op mode as well as the versus mode)
* Added Hungarian, Finish and Swedish languages

As you can see I've been pretty busy with it, but still a lot more to do!
November 08, 2008 08:31PM
I would just like to say thanks for another great release!
The quality of this homebrew is amazing and would easily be a piece of wiiware :D
heh my girlfriend will be happy for hours (she plays this more than quite alot of her actual wii games)
November 10, 2008 09:03AM
Cheers Warpedflash nice to see people playing it

I'm hoping that the versus mode adds another dimension - although not so good if your girlfriend beats you at it ;)
November 10, 2008 07:59PM
JustWoody
Cheers Warpedflash nice to see people playing it

I'm hoping that the versus mode adds another dimension - although not so good if your girlfriend beats you at it ;)

We havent tried the vs mode yet (im at Uni) but this weekend im going home to see her so i will tell you how it goes :)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login