Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Using WUFE...FAT32?

Posted by Mattroid 
Using WUFE...FAT32?
December 14, 2008 05:25AM
I've been running homebrew for a while now and have been on system menu 3.2 the whole time, but my girlfriend recently got Animal Crossing and doesn't really like having to go through Gecko OS to run the game. I'm afraid one of these days she'll get sick of it and update to 3.4 :P

So, I was following this guide in order to install IOS38 in hopes that this would allow her to run the game via the wii menu as normal. So I get everything ready and it dawns on me that the WUFE instructions indicate to use a FAT32 formatted SD card...well, as all guides setting up homebrew tell you, my SD card is FAT, not FAT32.

So my question is if I actually need to have a FAT32 formatted card in order to install the new IOS, or if I can do it all on the FAT card I already have setup? Also, the directions sort of make it sound like you take out the SD card you use to run WUFE and put in a second card to extract the files from the game disc (see below). Is that actually what happens, or is it just a case of poor directions? I haven't actually run WUFE yet, so maybe it's more clear when you see it on screen, I'm not sure. Just wanted to check with you all first to make sure everything goes smoothly.

You need:

* A working Homebrew Channel
    * A FAT32 formatted SD card with at least 200 MB of free space
    * Roughly 15 minutes (depending on SD card speed) 

1. Copy the wufe folder to your apps directory on your SD card, then run from the Homebrew channel.
2. Place a FAT32 formatted SD card with plenty of space on it in the Front SD slot. 
Insert Game and Press A on the Wii Remote. The files will then extract to your SD card.

So step 1 tells you to run WUFE from the SD card, but then step 2 tells you to insert a FAT32 to extract the files to...hmm
Re: Using WUFE...FAT32?
December 14, 2008 05:37AM
So what is the problem with re-formatting the card to FAT32?
You can simply back up everything to the computer and restore later or am I missing something?
December 14, 2008 05:43AM
I'm not saying it's a "problem" (although it could be needlessly tedious), I'm just wondering if I have to do it that way or not. But that's not to mention all the other problems I've heard when trying to run homebrew with FAT32 formatted card...which is why this one struck me as odd. Right now I'm working on clearing out a second card to format with FAT32, but I felt it was still a noteworthy question.

EDIT: Well, I tried doing the steps as they appear and no files would write the card successfully. So, I'm trying it with my usual SD card (FAT with my HBC apps, etc) and so far it looks like it's all going smoothly. Guess we'll see in a few minutes. Not sure why the directions are somewhat misleading...maybe I'm just being to cautious :P

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2008 06:46AM by Mattroid.
December 14, 2008 07:50AM
Looks like all went well in terms of installing IOS38. Unfortunately, the disc channel still requires the update to run the game directly. I assume this is because of the updated versions of IOS30 and IOS31. Oh well. Guess I'll just have to hope that the gf doesn't get tired of running it through GeckoOS.

Hopefully the Wii Speak feature will at least work now that that's done.
December 14, 2008 07:15PM
Install Starfall.
December 14, 2008 08:11PM
yep, starfall will skip over the disc updates...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login