Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RPG/MUD development?

Posted by sagekoda 
RPG/MUD development?
December 30, 2008 05:59PM
I (and I'm sure many others) am an avid RPG fan...from Final Fantasy (I like most all of them lol)...to the totally cheesy ones (Adventure Quest is a guilty pleasure...)

I have a great storyline developed for a project I was going to write for one of my finals, but over time and with the extensive details I ended up adding...I did something totally different.

What I was thinking though...is since (obviously) Wii has head-to-head capabilities...that it may be possible to create a small-medium MUD (Mutli-user dungeon for those who didn't know :P).

I also thought that if that couldn't be done...adding some other aspect of multiplayer to an RPG...such as a 2-3-4 player co-op or something of the sorts.

I have not played with Wii modding/coding yet, in fact...I don't know in what language programs are written...but I have done a lot of things in a lot of languages lol. I am also willing to learn...and learn reasonably fast.

Is anyone working on something like this...or is this something that people would very much love to see?
Since I don't know much about Wii coding...is it worth my time learning it?
And if so...how does it compare in difficulty to something like C(# or ++)?
Re: RPG/MUD development?
December 30, 2008 06:29PM
Wii apps (or games) are in C or C++ and I think I read somewhere also VB

you should probably get a Wii, hack it and see what it is capable of... I'd like to see what you can come up with here... sounds pretty cool!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2008 06:30PM by DrLucky.
December 30, 2008 07:48PM
DrLucky
I think I read somewhere also VB
Not on the Wii yet, I'm afraid.
December 30, 2008 08:27PM
whodares
DrLucky

BCX-BASIC
December 30, 2008 08:58PM
DanielHueho
whodares
DrLucky

BCX-BASIC
VB != BCX.

Sorry, was I being too picky?

But if you want BASIC, check out WiiBASIC.Although I will need to fix it up before it's useful in any way. lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2008 08:58PM by whodares.
December 30, 2008 09:48PM
Would love to see this happen! PM me and I'll help you point you in the right direction. Realize though, that RPG's (especially multiplayer ones) take a long time to make. So you'll probably want to find 2 or 3 dedicated C++ coders and 1 or 2 artists to help you out.

I personally, have always felt that the homebrew scene needs a large high quality game. An RPG would be just the ticket!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2008 09:48PM by Arikado.
December 30, 2008 10:04PM
Arikado
So you'll probably want to find 2 or 3 dedicated C++ coders and 1 or 2 artists to help you out.

I might be able to help with some of the art...
but another college semester starts up soon..... :(
December 30, 2008 10:11PM
I can help on the code part :) but im used to work on builder c mostly but i can write on c++ too... :), just PM if you need my help..
December 30, 2008 10:37PM
Just wanted to point out that as far as coding goes, you and your coders may want to set up an svn repository to keep it all in track after you have the game setup to a point where its easy to just make content.
December 30, 2008 10:39PM
Daniel
I can help on the code part :) but im used to work on builder c mostly but i can write on c++ too... :), just PM if you need my help..
Do yourself a favor and get some simple games running on wii first (pong, brickbreaker, etc.). Wii programming is some of the toughest I've encountered in my 3 years of C++ and you'll thank me later when you get a better feel for the system by making at least one simple game. PM me if you need instruction on getting set up.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login