Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Newbie question about emulators on wii

Posted by groupedix 
Newbie question about emulators on wii
October 21, 2009 09:19PM
I've made a search on the forum but could not find the answer. I have an old Nes system with 5 cartriges, but how do I get my games from the cartriges to the wii?? I've come across some threads talking about roms and that it was illegal to download them on the internet. I want to avoid piracy at all costs, so how can I play my nes games on the wii.
Re: Newbie question about emulators on wii
October 21, 2009 09:31PM
You are correct. Even if you own the original, it is illegal to download them from the internet. No exceptions.

I'm not sure how you can dump and NES ROM, I only know how to dump and N64 ROM...Sorry.
Could someone helpz?
October 21, 2009 09:36PM
You can buy a USB adapter thingy, but I dont where you would buy one, or what its actually called.
October 21, 2009 09:37PM
WaxyPumpkin72
You are correct. Even if you own the original, it is illegal to download them from the internet. No exceptions.
No. Laws are different everywhere in the world. While this may be true in some places it is certainly not true in all places.

Regarding making your own ROMs: It requires using a hardware device to transfer the contents of your cartridge's ROM into your computer as a .nes file. The transfer the .nes file to your SD Card.
October 21, 2009 09:42PM
Arikado
WaxyPumpkin72
No. Laws are different everywhere in the world. While this may be true in some places it is certainly not true in all places.
Oops. Soz.

Thats how it is in the US (at least, AFAIK. I might be wrong.).
October 21, 2009 09:52PM
I believe in UK it is legal to download a ROM provided you have the actual game. At least, a magazine I have which talks about Mother 3 translation patch says that if you buy a Japanese copy of the game, its legal to download a ROM (although obviously they dont give the address of a ROM site, and tell you to use google). But they DO say its legal, and I doubt they would be allowed to print the feature at all if it were illegal.
October 22, 2009 03:02AM
I'm just gonna say that you shouldn't believe Ninty's site as it lies. According to them, it is illegal to dump a ROM taken from your own cartridge (with the USB adapter thing). From what I understand about law, this is not true in any country.

Please correct me if I am wrong.
October 22, 2009 03:07PM
it is legal in SOME countries.

In the U.S, however, It is ILLEGAL to dump a ROM taken from your own cartridge. The rule only applies to magnetic material because the courts determined that ROM media was not subject to the same volatility as magnetic media (for which the law was created).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2009 03:10PM by mdbrim.
October 22, 2009 05:43PM
I guess I'll just have to plug in my good old NES to play my games then. I tried to find an adapter or dumper on google to copy my own cartridges, but I have not found any. Nintendo should make that we can send them our old cartriges and they allow us to download the game on the wii shop for free... but it will never happen.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2009 06:13PM by groupedix.
October 22, 2009 09:23PM
groupedix
I guess I'll just have to plug in my good old NES to play my games then. I tried to find an adapter or dumper on google to copy my own cartridges, but I have not found any. Nintendo should make that we can send them our old cartriges and they allow us to download the game on the wii shop for free... but it will never happen.
you can get all vc games for free using the new wii ambassador connect thingy, but i believes it eu exclusive
October 25, 2009 10:11AM
[www.tripoint.org]

There you go :)
October 25, 2009 02:23PM
ug

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2009 02:24PM by mdbrim.
October 26, 2009 09:01PM
profetylen
http://www.tripoint.org/kevtris/Projects/copynes/index.html

There you go :)

Well, thank you, but to copy the 5 cartridges that I have, 125$ is too expensive. Even if I wanted to assamble this thing by myself, 45$ is too much. I could buy my 5 games on the virtual console and I'll have them for 25$.

I'm thinking about destroying my cartridges and then download roms... but I don't think I could go that far. And I don't think that would be legal... Even if I destroyed my cartridges, that does not give me the right to download an illegitimate copy. So for now, I still have to plug-in my NES to play.
October 26, 2009 11:35PM
I believe it'd be more legal to download ROMs WITHOUT destroying the carts. According to DMCA (which, depending on where you live, may or may not apply to you), you can have a backup copy of any media, but the backup is "tied" to the original. If you get rid of original in any way (sell, gift etc.) you have to get rid of backup. But I dunno if that applies to damage to original media...
November 04, 2009 05:41AM
but why destroy them?
i dont understand that
November 04, 2009 06:25PM
I think his theory was, you are allowed a backup in case something goes wrong with your original copy, so if he "accidently" broke them, he would be "entitled" to a ROM download.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login