Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

HBC and WiiMC merger

Posted by ewookie 
HBC and WiiMC merger
August 01, 2010 06:04AM
would love to see a merger of HBC and WiiMC...especially since DVDX is dead...
Re: HBC and WiiMC merger
August 01, 2010 10:22AM
Uh, no. They are by two different goups and have two completely different purposes. You can easily load WiiMC through HBC, I see no reason to do anything else. Bear in mind that many people would not want WiiMC so forcing it upon them is ridiculous. This is one of the worst ideas I have heard related to Wii homebrew. Sorry.
August 01, 2010 09:59PM
i see your point. however, it is not a bad idea to be able to launch programs from wiimc.
August 02, 2010 01:44PM
Why? With a press of a button (i assume) you can return to HBC. It couldn't be much quicker to get to a homebrew launcher, and if there was one integrated, it'd mean more coding for WiiMC team, and there's really no point as thats not what WiiMC is.
August 02, 2010 05:01PM
you know what happens when you assume :)
the amount of code required to launch another boot.dol file is trivial.
August 02, 2010 05:58PM
It still doesn't make any sense. Can a computer run apps from Windows Media Player or iTunes? No, because that is not what a media player is for.
August 02, 2010 06:23PM
no, because a computer can multi-task, dumbass. on a computer, you can run several programs at once.

go away, troll!
August 02, 2010 07:37PM
But the time it takes to return to the HBC and load an app than to have WiiMC do it is too little for the work it takes to add it. People are so lazy nowadays..
Also, WiiMC is open source. You can get the sorce and add a .dol/.elf loader yourself.
[code.google.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2010 07:42PM by bg4545.
August 02, 2010 08:17PM
The DOL loading code may be trivial, but adding a decent DOL launching interface, probably using HBC's app setup (with icon.png and meta.xml etc.) would take time to implement and there's absolutely no point. Like bg4545 said, if you want it, add it, as you said, its trivial to add.

The simple fact is, with most apps, so I presume WiiMC too (although I have never used the app myself), pressing Home will return you to HBC, and you can instantly load another app. If an app loader were integrated into WiiMC, at the very least, a button press would take you to the app loader, and you'd save mere milliseconds over simply returning to HBC, which is quite frankly not worth the effort.
August 02, 2010 08:48PM
that's your opinions, douchebags. don't want what you would call 'a decent' DOL launching interface. just browse to the file as normal in wiimc. when i click on it, it launches the DOL. yeah, all that other fancy-nancy crap would be too much code. when i exit wiimc, it takes me to the system menu, not hbc...and system menu is slow to load.

bg4545,
i may just add that launching capability myself...
August 02, 2010 08:56PM
No need to insult us, we're just being realistic. The devs aren't gonna waste time implementing a feature that isn't suited to the app. Please feel free to add whatever you like to WiiMC, but don't expect the devs to do it for you. Tantric, one of the main devs behind WiiMC also maintains IOS202 and three or four emulators, so he's a busy guy. And he has a real life too. So he'll more than likely be focusing on the media functions of WiiMC, seeing as it is a media app.
August 05, 2010 12:08AM
bg4545 and SifJar have basically covered every point that I would have made. Despite your rebuttals, I find myself on their side of the argument. Of course, there really is no right or wrong here. It's a matter personal preference and everyone should do what suits them best.

So ewookie, I strongly encourage and add an ELF/DOL launcher to WiiMC. For people who think like you, you'll end up creating a program capable of being an HBC replacement which would be very interesting to say the least.

Now this discussion has become unfortunately aggressive and there's nothing I can see here that still needs to be discussed.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.