Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Is Homebrew Browser slow to start for you too?

Posted by TheManuel 
Is Homebrew Browser slow to start for you too?
April 20, 2009 04:11PM
Over the last 5 days or so, when I start the Homebrew Browser, it gets stuck on the Linux command prompt at the step that says "Requesting Homebrew List".
The first few days after I installed it, the application would load much faster.
But now, sometimes, it stays at that screen for a minute or so, sometimes it loads normally and sometimes it just does not progress beyond it.

Is anybody else having this problem?

I'm curious whether this problem is:
-server side
-my wireless connection (works well on everything else)
-application bug

Regards.
Re: Is Homebrew Browser slow to start for you too?
April 20, 2009 07:51PM
Umm mine starts in like 10-20 seconds or less.
April 20, 2009 09:15PM
My HBB takes one to two minutes to load. The wait doesn't bother me though.
April 20, 2009 11:13PM
I wish it would do it's downloading while you are browsing.
I like to load it up occasionally to see what's new but the wait deters me.

That being said, it is a phenomenal application and the effort that teknecal puts behind it is much appreciated.
April 21, 2009 11:04AM
I think I'll put some dots that show when it's parsing the homebrew list so you can see what's going on. This is what happens after the homebrew list is received. It does take a while, but should only be 20-30 seconds.

The next version v0.3.1 will allow you to download and browse at the same time so it's on the way, just needs to be tested more.
April 29, 2009 02:48AM
Thank you teknecal.
I had not seen this post yet because I can't get the e-mail notifications to work.

Anyway, it's been much faster lately. I only had it delay that much a few times at the beginning.
Whatever you're doing is working great.
Thank you for HBB.

By the way, is that you on the settings screen with the digital pad tatoo in the head? :-)
April 29, 2009 11:05AM
TheManuel
By the way, is that you on the settings screen with the digital pad tatoo in the head? :-)

Hehe, nope :P
January 07, 2010 01:13AM
hey, I have homebrew v0.3.6 and my wii update is 4.2u , when i first loaded this program it worked fine, i took out my sd card, tried to add games and then when i tried to load homebrew browser it just gets stuck at requesting homebrew list, no response no matter how long i wait, i removed everything from my sd card tried it without my games or interfering with the file at all and still i get stuck at requesting homebrew list HELPPP!!
January 07, 2010 02:32AM
pachall
hey, I have homebrew v0.3.6 and my wii update is 4.2u , when i first loaded this program it worked fine, i took out my sd card, tried to add games and then when i tried to load homebrew browser it just gets stuck at requesting homebrew list, no response no matter how long i wait, i removed everything from my sd card tried it without my games or interfering with the file at all and still i get stuck at requesting homebrew list HELPPP!!
How long did you leave it there?

I'm pretty sure it takes a while to get the list...
August 06, 2011 10:22PM
I know this is an old post, but I thought I would at least chime in. I had the same problem where the Homebrew Browser got stuck at parsing list. After scratching my head for a little while, I decided to pull my SD card out of my Wii. When I did that I noticed that I had accidentally moved the manual lock on the side of the SD card to the locked position. After I moved it back to the unlocked position all was good.

Hope this helps someone.
August 07, 2011 07:52PM
Well, dudes, when the homebrew browser finally opens after a successfully connecting to the network it has to load 400+ icons etc. If it stalls or freezes have you ever checked your network connection to make sure it didn't drop? If that's the case remember that you may have to change the channel on your router to 11 possibly. Wii's have always had problems with wireless just by design. Just because your laptop or other wireless devices aren't losing connection doesn't mean that the wirless isn't for the Wii.

Removing everything on the sd card is a maybe a last resort if you do it at all but not one of the things you want to try first. Think of when it started happening. Narrow the possibilities down before you take drastic steps. What files have you added since the point of it not working. Have you tried just removing those particular files?

Wiibrew is awesome but it has it's fair share of bugs. I would say it's worth trying coguy71's suggestion for sure just to see what you come up with.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login