Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Homebrew Browser(I was thinking...)

Posted by kylethedarkn 
Homebrew Browser(I was thinking...)
June 20, 2009 10:29PM
Since we now have Bootmii, is there really any reason to reject apps based on how safe they are, seeing as with bootmii you can trash your Wii and still recover it?

Because It would be nice if some of the "unsafe" apps were on there. :)
Re: Homebrew Browser(I was thinking...)
June 20, 2009 10:49PM
Well if you're experienced enough to be using apps that could brick you and to have BootMii installed, you're experienced enough to manually download your homebrew.
June 20, 2009 11:02PM
SifJar
Well if you're experienced enough to be using apps that could brick you and to have BootMii installed, you're experienced enough to manually download your homebrew.
[2] (Well said, SifJar)

Besides:
1.Not everyone has, or want to have, Bootmii installed (most novice users, for instance, and exactly the kind of people who uses HBB)
2. Bootmii isn't a magical solution for all the bricks. Before installing crap, you need first to backup your nand, and chances are, that if you are a powuhn00b, you WILL skip that part, and go right away installing WADs, cIOS and blablabla.
June 21, 2009 12:42AM
The HackMii Installer cant be downloaded from the homebrew browser nor are both pieces of software developed or maintained by the same people. Furthermore, not a single Wii has been bricked by BootMii unlike the software youre suggesting. Your point is invalid.

[Insert Sifjars comment]
June 21, 2009 01:23AM
Don't forget:

BootMii is still a BETA!

The makers of BootMii are very carefull, adn they still consider tehir own software BETA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2009 01:24AM by daniel_c_w.
June 21, 2009 01:27PM
Yes, and they also advise people NOT to install it at this stage if they aren't experienced enough to fully understand what it is and what it does. So therefore, many people probably won't have BootMii, so there cannot be potential brickers in the Homebrew Browser. Anyway, it doesn't take that long just to download it on computer and transfer it. I have homebrew browser, but I never use it, I find it easier, quicker and more reliable to download on computer and transfer. Quite often homebrew browser crashes for me, or fails to download correctly for some reason. Not saying it's a bad app, it's great for n00bs, but I prefer just doing it manually.
June 23, 2009 06:48AM
Ok, well I would consider myself a noob in terms of homebrew, but I still know how to transfer to an SD without the HBB, and that you should back up with BootMii before installing anything potentially dangerous. So I figured that anybody could do those things, evidently not.

Also a quick question that will probably show my lack of homebrew knowledge. Would it be possible to download a NAND backup of somebody else's Wii and use it to restore yours from a brick using BootMii? Or even without your Wii being bricked?

If the above is possible could you have a backup that has the most current cios and such in it and that way instead of having to update all that stuff individually you could just use a backup?
June 23, 2009 07:48AM
kylethedarkn
Also a quick question that will probably show my lack of homebrew knowledge. Would it be possible to download a NAND backup of somebody else's Wii and use it to restore yours from a brick using BootMii? Or even without your Wii being bricked?

If the above is possible could you have a backup that has the most current cios and such in it and that way instead of having to update all that stuff individually you could just use a backup?

A "foreign" BackUp won't work on your Wii, because each Wii encrypts the contents with a differnet key.
Right now, only one person offers to "reencrypt" "foreign" backups to fit your Wii, and something tells me, he doesn't like to spread CIOS.
June 24, 2009 06:19AM
Hmm and I gather there's no program that will do it for you eh?

Oh well, just some wishful thinking. :P
June 24, 2009 01:02PM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login