Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Guitar Fun vs Frets on Fire! (Port?)

Posted by Snikkers91 
Guitar Fun vs Frets on Fire! (Port?)
October 03, 2008 11:24PM

This is what good old Guitar Fun looks like ...

And this is what Frets On Fire Alarian 2.7 looks like in Guitar Hero theme!

Alarian 2.7 in Rock Band theme!

Well, I hope this motivates enough. Do you think, it could be possible to make a Port of this Frets On Fire version for the Wii? Could there be a way to integrate the Les Paul controller? The complete Alarian 2.7 Mod can be found at the bottom of this page: Frets On Fire Wiki: Alarian Mod

I bet it's possible to get the source code, but I don't have any Idea of programming and stuff, so this is your part.

Some facts that could be useful:
- The Alarian mod features around 30 necks and different stages (stages are just screenshots) for 5 different themes
- All in all, the size of Alarian is about 110 mb, it can be shrinked to the half by deleting not used themes (that requires to choose one of the themes, or to make different versions)
- This mod is very comfortable to play, because nearly all bugs got eliminated with developing

Now, what do you think? Discuss and make suggestions! Thanks for consideration!
Re: Guitar Fun vs Frets on Fire! (Port?)
October 05, 2008 06:55AM
One problem with porting Frets on Fire is that its written in Python. There is some basic Python support on the Wii, but as far as I know pygame (I believe Frets on Fire uses pygame which is an SDL wrapper) hasn't been ported to the Wii. Not only that, but being written in an interpreted language means less control over memory management and thus it might have issues running in such a limited memory environment. That's not to say its not possible, but there certainly are hurdles to getting it ported.
October 17, 2008 09:53PM
I hate when people say that an it can't be done because it's an interpreted language! Just because it's an interpreted language, doesn't mean you can't write a compiler for it!
October 18, 2008 03:18AM
strongfan
I hate when people say that an it can't be done because it's an interpreted language! Just because it's an interpreted language, doesn't mean you can't write a compiler for it!

Go for it!!
October 18, 2008 05:41PM
There is no reason you have to write your own interpreter - the official Python interpreter is pretty portable.

The problem is Frets on Fire uses pygame, which usese SDL and OpenGL. There already are SDL ports for the Wii, but not so much OpenGL. One would have to improve gl2gx to the point that frets on fire would work with it.
January 11, 2009 07:17AM
I know I'm bumping an old topic, but I'd like this too, but really all that I'd need to be satisfied is to get the sync issues fixed in Guitar Fun. That's the dealbreaker for me, so I'm still gonna be handling my Guitar Hero needs on my PC for now I guess :(
January 12, 2009 04:04PM
Sorry for also bumping this, but I thought I'd add my two cents while it's on the top page...

Or, as an extension, a full band game (FoFix)!

It would be cool to see a quality homebrew "band" game that could support all the flavors of rhythm-game peripherals out there (including support for updating for new ones), allow for easy loading of model, texture and song packages from the SD card/elsewhere, and provide the kind of gameplay control found in FoF/FoFix/GuitarFun that you can't get from official games.

But doorknob60 is right, PC will do for now, at least for me who wouldn't be able to help program that size of a project (but could supply content and testing). The FoF community has just figured out (for the most part) how to connect the GH:WT wii peripherals to Glovepie (see the tech support topic "Guitar Hero World Tour Drums Wii Glovepie" over in the FoF forums). Good news for wii homebrew and PC rhythm game development!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2009 04:05PM by l0stsign.
January 13, 2009 01:46AM
I can consider putting something similar to this together if there is enough interest. My issue is that I am on PPC mac which the compiler for the wii is not supported atm. I have a windows machine but the machine is not connected to the internet which is needed to install the software. I can look into writing the base code for this at least. A compiler is a major part of bug fixing it so it will even run as you know I will forget a semi-colon ;)
January 13, 2009 07:36AM
The only issue with porting the alarian version is the Pixel Shader Effects (their called something else for OpenGL , but the same) i think GuitarFun is FoF for people sadly running PCs with TNT 2 Cards (like me until 6 years ago)

From what i hear, FoF is made Entirly in Python. Meaning Using Python for Graphics\Input\ Logic and Parsing. Since Graphics and input can be easily ported from python to C and logic to C just leaving stuff used really for scripting (Music Data etc) port to lua, (this might be easier than porting a whole new language over...

For anyone doing this : add support for other loading methods (USB Drive\DVD) there is a handful of people with SD Cards under 512MB some running 128 or 256

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2009 07:43AM by speewave.
January 13, 2009 11:25PM
id love for this to happen, the Frets On Fire Alarian Mod looks awsome and wish for a wii edtion with rockband guitar support. if singing and drumming could b incorporated, that would be even sweeter, but for now, just the Frets On Fire Alarian Mod would b awsome on the wii. hopefully with rockband guitar support :D i'm sure alot of people would b interested in this if progress was made. the interface looks great, alot better than guitarfun.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2009 06:09PM by drchink.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login