Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Snes9x 4.0.7 Classic Controller Issue

Posted by jhinkle 
Snes9x 4.0.7 Classic Controller Issue
July 01, 2009 05:54PM
I installed the most recent release of the Homebrew channel and version 4.0.7 of snes9x on a 4.0u IOS. I can't seem to get my classic controllers to work. I have two controllers, both of which work with virtual console, and when I plug them in the wiimote it either stops working or moves sluggishly around the screen. I have this problem on the Nintendo, Snes, Genesis and the homebrew channel but I'm really only concerned with the snes9x stuff. The only information I found on the issue was to plug/unplug the controller from the wiimote or to reset everything with it plugged in. Neither of these work. Does anyone have any good suggestions about what to do? If you need anymore information let me know.

As a side note when I was reading up on the issue I saw other people mention a program that you can run that will let you register your wiimotes (sorry don't have time to look it up the name of the program now). Is this something that I need to install to get this working?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2009 05:55PM by jhinkle.
Re: Snes9x 4.0.7 Classic Controller Issue
July 01, 2009 06:50PM
The unplug/plug back in method was for an older version of the homebrew channel (very weird bug that chaosteil became furious about, because he didn't understand that I didn't make the homebrew channel and it wasn't my fault).

Anyways, enough about the past...

1) What do you mean "moves slugishly around the screen"? Which screen in particular? The wii system menu screen?
2) Does the classic controller work perfectly normal on normal applications (ie: non-homebrew stuff)
3) What about the controller isn't working? Is it the whole controller? Is it just the analog sticks? Is it the buttons? Does the directional pads work?

What do you mean by registering the wiimotes? Do you mean automatically sync them?

Note: I have not been able to test the latest SNES GX version, since I have been very busy developing my game and playing FFCC:EoT
July 01, 2009 07:35PM
1) When I say sluggishly I'm comparing it to the way it normally moves. If I am moving the cursor around on the screen and I plug in the classic controller it begans moving slowly, even skipping as it moves. I have this problem when I use it on the homebrew menu's and when I try to plug it in when using the system menus for emulators. Something I forgot to mention previously was that when I had version 4.0.6 I had exactly the same problems. (**Note that I just started installing this stuff on my wii last week and installed the 4.0.7 update yesterday)

2) Yes, the classic controller works on non-homebrew applications. It's only when I'm in the homebrew channel or running an emulator that it doesn't work.

3) None of the buttons respond on the Classic Controller when I plug it in. If I go into the button mappings and try to make changes I don't get any response from any of the buttons.

4) Right now when I start homebrew or an emulator it automatically picks up on the first wiimote and starts working. On some of the information that I went through, and even in some of the youtube videos I saw a program start up when they loaded various applications that asked them to hit buttons 1 & 2 to register their controller. I wasn't sure if this was an older application that isn't needed anymore or if I was missing something.

I hope this answers all of your questions. Let me know if you need anymore information or if there's any kind of testing that I can do.
July 01, 2009 08:32PM
In response to 4:
back in the day, we used to (and still have) trouble figuring out which one is P1, P2, P3, etc. Pressing 1 and 2 wasn't a way to sync as much as it was a way to figure out which wiimote the player has in his hands. This became annoying, or we improved it, or something, and we are now able to figure out which one is P1 (most of the time)

It sounds like the controller may be lagging on the output (something I have never heard of before).

Anyhow, to analyze the problem better (based on what I think it is), you need to run a custom program. Do you know how to code? If not, I will write one for you, since it is pretty short.
July 01, 2009 08:36PM
Why the hell did you put this topic in the coding section? :P
July 01, 2009 08:46PM
That is a good question... if I knew how to move it I would o.O

If you do know how to code, it will be a program that just printf's the button presses and the analog values on the classic controller. If you don't code, I will be able to do it later and have it done by 6 or 7 if time permits.

Also, Arikado, I am about to look over the rules again, but just to make sure, Running Emulators/Supporting them are OK, right? I love emulators, and it isn't like you are stealing from anyone.. I mean, if you can go out and buy an English Translated version of that one Gundam Fighting game for the SNES, then I would XP but you can't so...

Reguardless, if it is against the rules, I will stop trying to help him immediately and not support emulators at all in the future.

Edit: Doesn't say anything, so I assume it is fair ground. I noticed the backups were in bold, I totally must have just failed to notice it. Sorry.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2009 08:54PM by CloneDeath.
July 01, 2009 09:54PM
Sorry about putting this in the wrong forum. I didn't realize I had put it in the wrong place. I do code, but primarily in Perl and I don't know if I'll have the time to try and learn how to code on the wii. If someone has anything I can use to test I will run it and post the results.
July 01, 2009 11:29PM
I just thought of an easier test, one that doesn't require coding.

Play a SNES game like super mario world or Zombies ate my neighbors or something +Tear shed for those who have died, aka my old SNES carts+

In the game, when walking to the right (or some arbitrary direction) your character should alternate between moving and stopping, with no drop in framerate.

Sorry, your problem is like super unique... also, does the Wiimote work fine on it's own in the HBC apps? Does the nunchuk work?
July 02, 2009 05:31AM
jhinkle
2) Yes, the classic controller works on non-homebrew applications. It's only when I'm in the homebrew channel or running an emulator that it doesn't work.

Could this be related to the Nunchuck issue?
July 02, 2009 05:52AM
3rd party classic controller?
July 04, 2009 04:14PM
Sorry it took a few days to post but I've been busy preparing for the 4th.

I looked over everything and I think I may have gotten a 3rd party classic controller. I bought it off of Amazon labeled as a classic controller, but when I look at the pics of the one Nintendo released and the one I have the a & b buttons aren't clear and it doesn't say wii anywhere on it. Other than that it looks identical. When I'm out at the store today I'll look at the controllers for sale and if I think I got a generic one I'll buy the real thing and see how it works.
July 23, 2009 09:53PM
hi,

i got the exact same error.
is there any fix for that issue yet?
July 24, 2009 03:15AM
That is the exact thing that happened when I bought a 3rd party classic controller. I picked up the Nyko Wing because I loved the feel of it, but it's not supported by any homebrew. Only the official classic controller works with homebrew.
August 28, 2009 03:59PM
Damn, It seems I have also bought a 3rd party classic controller. Isn't Nintendo allowed to sell the official classic controllers anymore?
I really hope the homebrew scene took this into account :(
September 01, 2009 03:32PM
Maybe necessary send to the Homebrew programmer a Wii CC 3rd party ? :) then he will can do it
September 03, 2009 08:35PM
I am having this same problem. I'm fairly certain I have the same 3rd party remote (looks almost like the real one). I am a computer engineer by trade but I've never worked on the Wii platform before. If anyone can help me figure out what I need to do to enable it for homebrew stuff, please let me know.

hl_tdc@yahoo.com

Edit- By the way, the first thing I'd like to try is the method outlined here:

[wiibrew.org]

I downloaded the latest libogc and made the changes, but I have no idea how to recompile libogc, put it on the wii, and recompile the apps using it. Halp plz.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2009 08:49PM by rhaikh.
September 05, 2009 12:14AM
I seem to have this exact problem, allthough I'm pretty sure my (brand new) Classic Controller is the original. It says Wii on the front and "Nintendo" on the plug.

I have the latest version of homebrew channel along with a Snes9x 4.0.7. I've also tried a couple of other versions of Snes9x.

I'm not really into the different versions of Wii, but this one is bought in Europe and is old enough to work with BootMii. However, I find the same problem on a brand new Wii, one with the new boot1.

I plug in the classic controller and everything works fine until I start the homebrew channel or start the emulator. As soon as I do, the pointer cursor becomes sluggish/laggish. Additionally, no input from the classic controller is registered.

If I go back to the system menu, input from classic controller is once again accepted. Using wiimote, nunchuck or gamecube controllers seems to work just fine.
September 05, 2009 01:23AM
Okay, after a lot of fumbling around, I finally got devkitPro installed, and I can compile the example template. I am using the Linux version.

I checked out the Snes9x 4.0.9 source to my home folder, and downloaded the dependencies into my $DEVKITPRO/libogc folder.

I noticed the dependencies do not include wiiuse/classic.c which is the file mentioned to be edited in my link above, so I also downloaded the libogc1.7.1 source and unpacked it into $DEVKITPRO/libogc . (I don't know if this means this method won't work or not. I am pretty lost)

I made the change to $DEVKITPRO/libogc/wiiuse/classic.c mentioned above and ran the make. It ran through OK.

Then I moved to the place I put the Snes9x source and tried "make wii". This did not work, I get:

# make wii
make -f Makefile.wii
make[1]: Entering directory `/root/wii/snes9x-gx-read-only'
gui_button.cpp
In file included from /root/wii/snes9x-gx-read-only/source/ngc/gui/gui.h:49,
from /root/wii/snes9x-gx-read-only/source/ngc/gui/gui_button.cpp:11:
/root/wii/snes9x-gx-read-only/source/ngc/fileop.h:21:17: warning: fat.h: No such file or directory
gui_element.cpp

So now I am stuck. Anyone have advice on this?
September 06, 2009 02:57PM
Your program cant find libfat.
September 08, 2009 08:01AM
FYI
I connected yesterday my Classic Controller of 3-party to PC. And played Gnes MK3 without problems

I used
BlueSoleil Version: BlueSoleil 6.4.249.0 and GloverPIE030

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2009 09:42AM by forsem.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login