Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Banana Patcher

Posted by gameboy13 
Banana Patcher
July 29, 2009 01:57AM
What does the Banana Patcher actually do? I've read the Wiibrew page, but it doesn't give any details on what it does exactly. I know it patches the Wii Menu in a way like Preloader, But what does it do to your Wii?
Re: Banana Patcher
July 29, 2009 02:15AM
It allows you to apply preloader patches. I don't really see the point, though.
July 29, 2009 03:34AM
You can use Preloader patches without actually having Preloader
July 29, 2009 04:21AM
I see...Why not just install preloader, then?
July 29, 2009 04:58PM
WaxyPumpkin72
I see...Why not just install preloader, then?
Because these patches are applied in the Wiis RAM and thus not permanent. In other words, the patches will disappear when you physically unplug your Wii.
July 29, 2009 06:49PM
Oh, cool. Thanks for the info.
Out of curiousity, what advantages does preloader have over starfall? Because AFAIK, starfall has some pretty similar hacks to apply...So what exactly is so cool about it (other than booting before the system menu)?
July 29, 2009 07:16PM
How could Banana Patcher harm your Wii though? If it modifies the Wii's RAM, how dangerous could it be?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2009 07:21PM by gameboy13.
July 29, 2009 07:17PM
gameboy13
How could Banana Patcher harm your Wii though? If it modifies the Wii's RAM, how dangerous could it be?
Well, I guess anything can happen..
July 29, 2009 07:22PM
@WaxyPumpkin72: This is what preloader does and Starfall doesn't do: (Taken from the Wiibrew page)

It's main feature is to directly boot the Homebrew Channel or a file you can install from a FAT device.
Since preloader places itself before the system menu any problems that would cause the system menu to fail are not causing your whole wii to stop working.
In other words: its like Bootmii, but without the NAND backup.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2009 07:22PM by gameboy13.
July 29, 2009 07:27PM
As far I understand this, Banana Loader is simply a "crippled" preloader. It works exactly the same way, but it only applies on-the-fly patchs. BL doesn't autoboot anything, like preloader.
July 29, 2009 07:32PM
gameboy13
@WaxyPumpkin72: This is what preloader does and Starfall doesn't do: (Taken from the Wiibrew page)

It's main feature is to directly boot the Homebrew Channel or a file you can install from a FAT device.
Since preloader places itself before the system menu any problems that would cause the system menu to fail are not causing your whole wii to stop working.
In other words: its like Bootmii, but without the NAND backup.
This I know, I meant any behind the scenes sort of stuff, or the point in using preloader at all...
July 29, 2009 11:51PM
Starfall, Starpatch and Preloader all modify the NAND.
Preloader takes the place of the system menu. It safes you, if the system menu can't run, because some files it relies on are corrupted.
July 31, 2009 01:48AM
why is it called banana?!
it has nothing to do with a banana.

so is it somethuing to look into or a waste of soft ware?
July 31, 2009 08:25PM
kydo
why is it called banana?!
it has nothing to do with a banana.
Because the creator said so :-P

kydo
so is it somethuing to look into or a waste of soft ware?
If you want to install system menu modifications but without the risk of installation failure and with the benefit of easily removing the modifications, then yes look into it. If you want permanently installed system menu modifications, look elsewhere.
July 31, 2009 08:38PM
When do they get removed? If if turn my wii off, are they gone, and I have to re-run banana patcher? what about stand-by?
August 01, 2009 04:13AM
Sysmenu memory patches are removed when you boot a game/channel, or power-off/enter WC24 standby.
August 01, 2009 07:06PM
Basicly they are gone as soon as you exit the system menu
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login