Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

FCEU game genie support

Posted by Yerffej 
FCEU game genie support
July 31, 2009 11:51AM
I noticed in the new update for FCEUGX (3.0.8), it mentions Game Genie support, by placing the game genie rom in \fceugx\gg.rom. Does that mean placing it in a folder called gg.rom, or renaming the rom to gg.rom and putting it in \fceugx? I've tried both ways, and I still can't figure out how to get it to work. Can some be more detailed on how to get this to work?
System menu 4.0, FCEUGX 3.0.8
Tried testing it in SD root:\fceugx

Edit: I can load up the GG rom, but all it does is show the code screen, and it resets when you press start.

Oh, I don't know if this is new news or not, but Mario Adventure seems to load now.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2009 01:47AM by Yerffej.
Re: FCEU game genie support
July 31, 2009 01:01PM
I am in an even worse position than you.Not only I can't load the Gamegenie rom ,but also I can't load the FDS roms at all.
I put the disksys.rom in a new disksys.rom folder but nothing happens.:-(((((
July 31, 2009 06:04PM
Well,I figured out what it needs.
I placed FDS BIOS renamed as disksys.rom in the fceugx folder(just throw it there along the roms,cheats,and saves folder)and the the same exactly with the gamegenie rom renamed gg.rom and it works perfectly!
As soon as it loads the rom,it starts automatically the game genie.I input the codes and they work like a charm!
The only thing I wish is in a future version Tantric programs the emu to load the previous game genie codes,because it is a hassle to enter them manually every time you load the rom.
July 31, 2009 06:26PM
Uhh NO. That's what CHT files are for. Pick one or the other.
July 31, 2009 06:34PM
Tantric
Uhh NO. That's what CHT files are for. Pick one or the other.

I suppose you are right,But it is impossible to find CHT files,and the only site I managed to find has a very limited selection...:-((((
July 31, 2009 06:44PM
the problem with cht files is now corrected according to linus. so you can make your own cht files with fce ultra win32 and use them in the gc/wii version.
July 31, 2009 07:09PM
Tantric, love the new support, works perfectly, I can die as much as I want in the Mega Mans now:)

Would it be possible to have an on/off toggle for it in settings? Since there a lot of games as well I don't need cheats for... Either way, awesome work:)
August 01, 2009 07:54AM
Also a request for an on/off setting if thats easy enough to implement, also I am a big newb at this. Is there a way to change the controls for the turbo button at all? allowing us to use the just the wii mote but include the turbo button somewhere, or do we have to use a gamecube controller to use turbo?

thanks
August 02, 2009 08:44AM
I tried following PANMUSIC's advice, with no luck. The original files were called "Game Genie (Unl).nes," which is 281kb, and "Famicom Disk System Boot," which is 8kb, and I renamed them to 'gg.rom' and 'disksys.rom.' I tested multiple roms, with no result. The formats show that "disksys.rom" is in a ROM format, and "gg.rom" is in a NES format, and both files still have '.rom' in their names, and they are both in SD:\fceugx.

Can somebody tell me exactly what to do to get it to work? Thanks
August 02, 2009 12:55PM
Are you sure that you put these files in the sd:/fceugx without include them in separate folders?I put them simply there and it worked.I can't think anything else for the moment.
August 02, 2009 09:48PM
You Just Place The Game Genie Rom In the FCEU folder and rename It GG, its a beautiful addition to the Emu, because most would have added text support for GG, Tantric, brought back the original and reminded me of the more classic side of gaming Thank You
August 03, 2009 08:50AM
PANMUSIC
Are you sure that you put these files in the sd:/fceugx without include them in separate folders?
No separate folders, I put the two files directly into sd:\fceugx.

lowsnamebrand
You Just Place The Game Genie Rom In the FCEU folder and rename It GG
Do you rename it to "gg" or "gg.rom?" And also, do you need the FDS Bios (disksys.rom) for it to work?

Tantric, am I missing something? I still have the same files that I listed in one of my posts above. The only thing I can think of is if I have the wrong files or something, but I don't think I do.
August 03, 2009 01:25PM
i only have the GG.rom file in there and yes you do name it GG.rom
August 03, 2009 04:01PM
It has to be lowercase - "gg.rom" exactly, in the main fceugx folder. Other then that, don't know. Might be your rom.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2009 04:04PM by mysticwaterfall.
August 04, 2009 12:00AM
I just reinstalled FCEUGX from the homebrew browser, where I updated it from the RAR file from the wiki before. The NES games load up fine, but the game genie still does not work. I have it named exactly to "gg.rom" in lowercase letters and is placed in sd:\fceugx by itself, NOt in a seperate folder called 'gg.rom.' I've tried multiple game genie roms, all of them NES obviously, with no luck, but they all were able to load separately just fine, but not with a game.

I also tried to load a Famicom game with the 8kb FDS bios renamed to "disksys.rom" and also placed in sd:\fceugx by itself, NOT in a separate folder called 'disksys.rom.' and the game didn't load, and showed a "FDS BIOS not found" error.

Perhaps its my system menu version? I have system menu 4.0, and fceugx is 3.0.8. should the files still have '.rom' at the end when you try and load it from the emulator, or is that supposed to change the format of the file? because my game genie rom is in the NES format, and the name is exactly shown as "gg.rom" on both my PC and wii.

edit: Here is what it looks like in the SD card:

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2009 01:45AM by Yerffej.
August 04, 2009 03:09AM
In Windows click on Tools -> Folder options -> View and disable Hide extensions for know file types.
Then you will see what is going on

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2009 03:09AM by daniel_c_w.
August 04, 2009 09:08AM
Well,I think that you don't have the proper Gamegenie rom.The rom I have is 281kb and its type is Rom file.Maybe that should help.As for FDS BIOS,assuming you have the correct file,try to rename it 'Disksys.rom' with a capital D.
I hope that this helps you.
August 04, 2009 09:15AM
I'm pretty sure daniel located the issue. The file labelled gg.rom is actually named gg.rom.nes on disk, when it shouldn't be.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2009 09:15AM by PhoenixTank.
August 05, 2009 05:09AM
works like a charm now. Doki doki panic works too. Thanks daniel
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login