Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Homebrew channel shows black screen in MPAL mode

Posted by juanjo 
Homebrew channel shows black screen in MPAL mode
October 26, 2008 06:03PM
Hi guys,

I'm playing around with tona's new AnyRegion Changer (finally my JAP Wii in English horaiii :-)

I've sucessfully changed to US Area and English menus but I've also done something a bit dumb I think...
I changed the video mode to MPAL and although my TV works fine (I can play any official game or channel) when I run the Homebrew Channel it shows a black screen after loading.

I can even load applications using wiiload, but nothing appears on screen.

Is there any other way to change video mode back to NTSC or PAL?
Anyidea why Homebrew Channel doesn't work on MPAL?

edite: Can I fix the value of rmode in wiibasics.c, which are the options?
// Obtain the preferred video mode from the system
// This will correspond to the settings in the Wii menu
rmode = VIDEO_GetPreferredMode(NULL);

cheers, \o.o/ jj

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2008 01:29PM by juanjo.
Re: Homebrew channel shows black screen in MPAL mode
October 27, 2008 05:36PM
It took me a while but I found the solution to my issue.

Every single homebrew application uses the functions in wiibasics.c to define the Video output (which in turn uses libogc included in the new devkitpro).

I simply added the instruction 'rmode->viTVMode = VI_NTSC;' after 'rmode = VIDEO_GetPreferredMode(NULL);' to force the application to output in NTSC mode.

Then compile the application again, copied as boot.dol in a SD card and launched it using the twilight hack.
At least those c++ classes in the uni were usefull somewhat ;-)
October 27, 2008 06:10PM
Well, I doubt every single application uses the basic wii functions I wrote :P But most of mine seem to use it!

Glad you found a way to fix this. Most Wii applications *do* use those GX functions. Nice work. Perhaps MPAL compatibility will be on the to-do list for HBC.

Although I'm not even sure what regions actually *use* MPAL....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2008 06:10PM by tona.
October 28, 2008 09:21AM
juanjo
I'm playing around with tona's new AnyRegion Changer

A "new" one? Newer than 1.1?

(don't mean to rush you, tona, I was just wondering ;) )
January 06, 2009 05:53PM
Just to revive an old post. I was having troubles getting my component cable to work, so I fiddled around within AnyRegion_Changer1.1b to see if there were anything that might help me. There probably weren't, but I tried to change the video mode to 'PAL', which had no effect apart from making the graphics fuzzier. Then I tried to change it to 'MPAL' and now I got amazingly fuzzy graphics no matter what I do.

The problem I got right now is exactly the same as juanjo had, every time I try to open the HBC, I get a black screen and the TV reports 'No Signal'. I know this is because the HBC doesn't support MPAL.

I then tried to fiddle around with the AnyRegion_Changer1.1b to add the solution juanjo described in his second post, but it seems that I'm not doing it right. When I try and run the program I've changed through the Twilight Hack, I end up with the same symptoms as above, I'm pretty sure it loads as it's supposed to, but I end up with getting 'No Signal' from the TV.

It seems that I get a problem when I try and compile the program through 'Programmer's Notepad':
c:/Downloads/projects/AnyRegion_Changer/source/detect_settings.c:238: warning: passing argument 2 of 'ES_OpenTitleContent' makes integer from pointer without a cast
c:/Downloads/projects/AnyRegion_Changer/source/detect_settings.c:238: error: too many arguments to function 'ES_OpenTitleContent'

I then tried just to changed it manually in the 'wiibasics.c' file and then overwrite that file in the original AnyRegion_Changer source directory. Which gave me the same result as the other times I've tried to run it through the Twilight Hack.

So now I'm at a loss on what I can do to return my console to the NTSC setting, so all the graphics aren't so fuzzy. Any pointers would be highly appreciated!

Note to self: Don't mess with things you know nothing about :(

Edit: Well, I found a screen shot of the AnyRegionChanger menu and changed the setting to NTSC and rebooted, in the blind. It worked, so my issue is solved really.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2009 06:25PM by UnaXia.
January 07, 2009 02:48PM
MPAL is a 60hz video mode used in Brazil

there is no reason HBC in particular does not "support" MPAL since it has the same properties as NTSC (same timings, same resolution) or at least, should have

it's more probable that either your TV does not support MPAL or libogc does not configure MPAL properly: I remember that old GC applications had trouble on european Wiis when the default 60hz mode was set to MPAL (TVMpal480IntDf) instead EURGB60.

the question is: what did you want to set your Wii using MPAL in the 1st place ? and are your TVs supposed to support this video format ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2009 02:48PM by ekeeke.
March 24, 2009 10:00PM
I have almost the same problem, but instead of showing a blackscreen all i get is a fuzzy screen. I have tried chaning it back in blind but it doesnt work. Can someone please give me some help or a precompiled version of any region changer that goes into pal mode at startup.
July 06, 2009 11:42PM
Well i found a solution by pushing its right combination on the wii-remote to unset MPAL to PAL or NTSC without seeing anything on the screen!

This is what I did:

1. Do the twighlight hack with "any region changer 1.1b"
When "any region changer 1.1b" starts the black screen will appear.

2. Now just give it about 10 seconds then push the "1-button" on the wii-remote.

3. Now push "Down, Down, Down, Left or Right, Down, Down, Down, Down, A, A, Down, Down, Down, Down, A".

This will unset the MPAL to PAL or NTSC.

Hope this gives a little help for those who arent advanced users in C++ =D

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2009 12:00AM by imbrue.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login