Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Tantric emulators and Autosave

Posted by raptir 
Tantric emulators and Autosave
August 18, 2009 07:18AM
Until recently I have been playing with Autosave enabled on snes9x GX. I noticed, however, that every time I went to the save menu it was updating the time of the autosave SRAM slot. Does this mean that it is re-saving the SRAM every time that I visit the save menu? Or even more often than that? I know it's not a huge deal, but flash memory does not have unlimited writes and I would rather not be wasting the longevity of my SD card by pointlessly saving over and over again in an emulator. Even if it just changes the "last save" time, that's still a few bytes that are being overwriten every time. I guess I'll switch over to manual saving if this is the case.
Re: Tantric emulators and Autosave
August 18, 2009 06:16PM
Unless it is really full, every writing operation to the SD-Card will save it in a different place, to prevent the scneario you fear.
August 19, 2009 01:09AM
I realize the scenario is unlikely and would take a long time to occur; I've worked on designing Flash memory in the past. I'd still rather avoid unnecessary wear to my SD card, if possible. I'd love if he could implement something like what the PC emulators do: auto-save the SRAM only when a change is made to the SRAM data in the game.
August 19, 2009 02:10AM
It's open source - submit a patch.
August 19, 2009 02:29AM
turn off autosave :D

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2009 02:30AM by mdbrim.
August 19, 2009 04:55AM
Tantric
It's open source - submit a patch.

Well, I was trying to clarify how it worked. If the auto-save was saving every time I accessed the save menu, that's one thing. If it's saving constantly that's something else.

I also don't think "do it yourself" is a good response. I obviously would if I knew how to code for the Wii. Not every suggestion needs to be met with such a dismissive attitude.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login