Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Is freezing bad for your Wii (MplayerCE, specifically)?

Posted by raptir 
Is freezing bad for your Wii (MplayerCE, specifically)?
August 24, 2009 05:33PM
I've been using MplayerCE 0.75, and despite the changelog it still freezes on me fairly regularly. I've had a few other applications freeze on me occasionally, but that's never worried me. My question now is if this frequent freezing through MPlayer CE (to the point where you need to hold the power button on the Wii to turn it off) could be bad for the Wii. My assumption is no, since the Wii system memory shouldn't be accessed at all during the use of MPlayer CE, but I'm not really sure. I also take it that MPlayer won't be writing anything to the SD card, so it shouldn't have any chance of corrupting that. Am I right on these assumptions?
Re: Is freezing bad for your Wii (MplayerCE, specifically)?
August 24, 2009 05:39PM
I believe you are correct on all assumptions, except that you may have a small chance of corrupting your SD card. The only way the freezing could be harmful is if the application is making changes to the NAND when it freezes, which MPlayer doesn't do.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2009 05:42PM by MattMan.
August 24, 2009 05:49PM
The funny thing is that I never had MPlayer CE freeze until this last update where they said that they fixed the freezing issues...

Edit: Without changing anything, it's now freezing every single time I try to load a video...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2009 07:47PM by raptir.
August 25, 2009 06:33PM
Then you might want to try the older version again.
August 25, 2009 10:52PM
It freezes me when I try to load a DVD. Or, it takes a long time to load and I'm impatient. lol
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login