Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Homebrew Browser Channel Installer

Posted by pinball Wizard 
Re: Homebrew Browser Channel Installer
September 13, 2009 01:35PM
I'd say it'll probably need trucha, as that is the only currently public way of installing fakesigned content.
September 13, 2009 03:18PM
Well, why would it need Trucha? The Hombrew Channel installs without Trucha being available. I do have an update, the installer is now getting all the debug info pulled out of it and is also being locked down to the specific channel now.

CactusJack: Part of doing the beta test will involve trying things out like if it works without Trucha, but you are indeed correct I would like to conceal those details.

For all that are confused with what I told Cactus, the beta testers have agreed to not allow any info or the installer/channel to leave there hands. Each developer even gets their own installer that has specifics marked in it on so that I can identify who leaked it if I have problems.
September 13, 2009 06:14PM

Each developer even gets their own installer that has specifics marked in it on so that I can identify who leaked it if I have problems.

/me rolls eyes

why are you afraid of leaks?

are you nintendo? ;)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2009 06:15PM by mdbrim.
September 13, 2009 06:19PM
mdbrim

Each developer even gets their own installer that has specifics marked in it on so that I can identify who leaked it if I have problems.

It makes sense.

Probably because some nubcake would release it and say that they made it themselves. :P

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2009 06:20PM by WaxyPumpkin72.
September 13, 2009 06:28PM
yeah, we have a lot of that going on here!

i just find it funny that people in a non profit homebrew scene are worried enough about stuff getting "leaked" so they are tagging their code.

If I gave my code for testing to a bunch of people and it leaked out and someone decided to steal it and release it on fail websites, big deal. So what... what happens... a bunch of fail newbs get a copy of my stuff that isn't complete, won't be updated and will think someone else made it.

Everyone here would know the truth and the wiibrew site would have the official copy.

But, that's just me... everyone has their own ways of doing things and if he wants to safeguard his code... i guess i can understand that. Some people take it more serious than others.

P.S. the only reason i posted this is cuz i can see the other fail websites being a place of super secret code and people backstabbing each other rushing to get credit for something... we don't need wiibrew to turn into that!
September 13, 2009 09:54PM
SO when can we actually beta test this thing.
September 13, 2009 10:38PM
how about put a pass word on the file/zip/whatever and tell the pass only to the beta testers
September 13, 2009 11:09PM
darklink
how about put a pass word on the file/zip/whatever and tell the pass only to the beta testers
then they could extract it and then give the file that way
September 13, 2009 11:21PM
is it possible to password protect a file
September 13, 2009 11:34PM
darklink
is it possible to password protect a file
no, and I don't see where you're going with this.
September 14, 2009 02:39AM
mdbrim

/me rolls eyes

are you nintendo? ;)

No, I'm not nintendo. lol. It is rare that I release projects that aren't 100% there to anyone. The only reason this is any different is because I am trying to test on multiple scenarios for stability.

metroid_maniac
SO when can we actually beta test this thing.
I fixed the final bug I had remaining in the channel, and the installer is being cleaned up of debug info and I am finally locking it to the (hopefully) final channel files. I am looking to get it to the testers by next weekend.
darklink
I've got it planned out, and I will get the instructions to the testers once needed and ready.
September 14, 2009 05:21AM
ok thats fine
so next weekend.. alright
September 14, 2009 05:24AM
I cant wait! This should be nice!
September 14, 2009 05:54AM
ChuckBartowski
I cant wait! This should be nice!
Me too! I can't wait! :D
September 14, 2009 07:04AM
crap, I won't be around next weekend, I'm going away Friday and coming back Sunday
September 14, 2009 11:39AM
Don't worry Cactusjack, I planned to leave a week open at minimum for testing (maybe more).
September 14, 2009 02:32PM

I was bored.

On a more serious note, what kind of logo do you exactly want? (Specifications etc.) And I really would like to test it.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2009 02:36PM by Matoking.
September 14, 2009 06:14PM
pinball Wizard
Well, why would it need Trucha? The Hombrew Channel installs without Trucha being available.

Due to team twiizers having a private exploit no one else knows about. Unless you happen to have been told about it, you WILL need a trucha IOS present to install it. I'd have thought that someone who is able to create a channel from scratch (i.e. not using fail tools) and is also able to create an installer, instead of just a WAD would know that trucha must be used to install the channel.
September 14, 2009 09:53PM
Sifjar: I remember that now. I have taken in so much info in lately and my installer has the code to test for trucha too. I guess this is what I get for dealing with issues for 2-3 months.
September 14, 2009 09:58PM
ha, no worries. I was just getting worried that maybe you didnt realise trucha was necessary for custom channels. perhaps if the channel is successful, team twiizers will help/let you make an installer using their new exploit. or perhaps not. who knows?
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.