what exactly does linux do?

Posted by etertay 
what exactly does linux do?
September 22, 2009 10:33PM
the Linux OS for the wii it says...

does that mean i can run "Linux stuff"
Re: what exactly does linux do?
September 23, 2009 08:23AM
Yes. Linux is a free alternative for Windows. To test it out, burn an Ubuntu CD, place it in your PC CD drive. Then restart, hit the "boot menu" key (it will say on the screen) and choose CD. Try it without change to your computer and you can begin to use it.
September 23, 2009 07:45PM
Linux is an open source operating system, which means that anyone can look at and edit the "kernel" (i.e. the mani code), and anyone can release their own "distro" (i.e. the kernel + some interface stuff and a bit of extra code). There is now a Linux kernel for the Wii, which allows you to boot several distros on the wii, such as XWhiite. With the MiKe kernel, you can now use WiFi in Wii Linux. However, not all "Linux stuff" will work, there isnt much memory or processing power, and it doesnt have a particaularly popular processor, so not much is coded that will work (afaik, I could be wrong though).
September 23, 2009 09:58PM
metroid_maniac
Yes. Linux is a free alternative for Windows. To test it out, burn an Ubuntu CD, place it in your PC CD drive. Then restart, hit the "boot menu" key (it will say on the screen) and choose CD. Try it without change to your computer and you can begin to use it.

theres another way to install ubuntu linux with this site:wubi installer
September 23, 2009 10:01PM
darklink
metroid_maniac

theres another way to install ubuntu linux with this site:wubi installer

This, rather than reconfiguring your Hard Drive, makes a "Virtual" Hard Drive which Ubuntu thinks is the real Hard Drive
September 23, 2009 10:05PM
i think its better i installed linux using wubi
September 24, 2009 01:22AM
nah, I much rather a dedicated Linux partition, it runs a bit faster and if my Windows partition gets screwed up for whatever reason, I still have Linux as a backup
September 24, 2009 04:30AM
im not worried about my hdd getting screwed up i have restore discs and backups of everything i need
September 24, 2009 06:30PM
I personally have a dedicated partition, I want my computer to run speedily with my compiz effects. But if you use something like WUbI or mint4Win you don't have to worry about your Hard Drive, and if the installation fails it's as simple as deleting a file.
September 24, 2009 06:37PM
This is a bit off topic, but if I have an external hard drive, can I install Linux on it, and then from the Boot Menu screen on my pc run the operating system from the external hard drive?
September 24, 2009 06:39PM
Yes, in the way you would boot a CD

EDIT: it'd be all slow motion like because USB is slow.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2009 06:39PM by metroid_maniac.
September 24, 2009 07:36PM
I plug it in through my firewire port, I don't suppose it would run faster that way would it?
September 24, 2009 10:53PM
quick question: how can i transfer files from windows to linux on my pc, like all my music and stuff
i used wubi installer
September 24, 2009 11:24PM
Hmm, did it make a partition on your hard drive (i.e. is there an extra hard drive in My Computer?) Not sure if wubi does it like this, but I think it should, so just copy the files to that drive, to the folder with your username (I think)
September 25, 2009 02:13AM
no wubi doesnt make a partition
September 25, 2009 02:40AM
yeah yeah...but how do i put it on the wii??
September 25, 2009 08:16AM
You can't use WUbI on the Wii, you need to partition the Hard Drive or wait for Miight. I'd wait for MIKE, it's going to be a lot better.
September 25, 2009 06:01PM
MiKe is available...and there is no hard drive on the wii to partition. I have seen a decent guide to getting XWhiite up and running with MiKe, but I cant link to it here, as its on a fail site (nothing wrong with the actual guide, but alot of stuff on the site is piracy related, you can probably guess the site :P). Oh, and I'm pretty sure Miight was cancelled.
September 26, 2009 05:23AM
mikep4 was released on 9/21, but here is my guide for mikep3. It covers how to install and use the mikep3 kernel with xwhite and configure wifi support.

[www.tehskeen.com]

I'm not sure how the new kernel changes affect wifi setup, because I haven't tried it out yet. My assumption is that it would be easier.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login