Hesitant about using WiiSCU...
October 01, 2009 04:43AM
i have recently heard of the new updates to the system menu to 4.2 and I wanted to update officially through Nintendo(i have gone from system menu 3.1 to 4.1 officially with no HBC problems). And then i heard the stories of UNHACKED Wiis being bricked. I now have three options: either wait for a better update from Nintendo, try to update and see if my Wii comes out alive, or use WiiSCU. I am scared about the last two, especially WiiSCU. This is what it says about WiiSCU bricking on the wiki page:

If you are using System Menu 4.0, approach IOS60 options with caution.
i have two questions: what is IOS60, and will i have any IOS60 problems using WiiSCU on system menu 4.1?

Edit 10/01: Another question popped up today. Can WiiSCU update the system menu to 4.2? and to reply to this post by PhoenixTank:
PhoenixTank
It warns you about IOS 60 because that is the IOS that the 4.0 & 4.1 system menu runs on. Unless you decide to update IOS60, you'll be fine.
What are you attempting to achieve with WiiSCU? Restoring shop channel access?
Yes, I want shop channel access, and a non-Nintendo way of updating all the necessary IOSs and Wii Channels that come from system updates.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2009 11:38PM by ddragov1c.
Re: Hesitant about using WiiSCU...
October 01, 2009 07:12AM
it says if you are using sistem menu 4.0, system menu 4.2 uses ios 70
October 01, 2009 08:23AM
Don't install 4.2. It doesn't offer any advantages over 4.1 WiiSCU will not matter on 4.1, you already have IOS 60, 61 and shop channel.
October 01, 2009 01:35PM
It warns you about IOS 60 because that is the IOS that the 4.0 & 4.1 system menu runs on. Unless you decide to update IOS60, you'll be fine.
What are you attempting to achieve with WiiSCU? Restoring shop channel access?
October 01, 2009 03:07PM
I'm with you.
I'm awaiting a better update from Nintendo or some evidence to surface that the Wii's being bricked are units that had been tampered with pirating tools.
I'm reluctant to modify my Wii with anything but Team Twizzer's tools.
October 01, 2009 05:39PM
Ultimately, WiiSCU is built on top of PatchMii-core, a patching application that bushing created.
If we are going to get technical, TheManuel, WiiSCU uses Team Twiizer's tools.
Your call, but hardly something to fear.
October 01, 2009 06:55PM
Thanks, PhoenixTank.

I'll probably hold out anyway until I have something to actually purchase (maybe the upcoming Worms game with online play capability).
By then, either some safe update from Nintendo will have surfaced or I'll just take my chances with either, the official update or WSCU.
October 02, 2009 02:37AM
I have already updated my channels with WiiSCU on my 4.1u firmware and have access to the shop channel again.. No Problems for me. I didn't update any of the IOS just the channels.
October 02, 2009 04:22PM
Just updating the shop channel shouldn't cause any brick.
October 02, 2009 04:24PM
Beside you can always use BootMii to make a backup before you try, that way you can rollback any mistakes.
October 28, 2009 12:01AM
thx guys...but i updated officially thru Nintendo...turns out the Wii did not brick...thanks for ur input anyway.
October 28, 2009 12:07AM
ddragov1c
thx guys...but i updated officially thru Nintendo...turns out the Wii did not brick...thanks for ur input anyway.
That's what I've been telling everyone to do :-P
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.