Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

DosBox Wii

Posted by ratix 
DosBox Wii
October 19, 2009 12:30AM
There are two threads regarding dosbox and i was hoping to see this one can stay alive. Since the newest version 1.0 supports a onscreen keyboard Via HOME i wanted to address some other things that were overlooked. I have been fiddling with the program since .73.2 and have used a few workarounds to get programs working. I would like to stress that if the files you want to use are not in the directory/folder in "X:\apps\dosbox-wii" or "X:\dosbox" none of the programs will show up or any images that you mount because dosbox does not know where they are, in other words keep it simple and put the files in either of the directories.

I have noticed an improvement on speed.
less crashes have occurred when playing a lot of stress demanding games. (Doom is one of them that is fully playable with the game having skips just like how it did on a 386 computer)
there is still no support for games that use 640x480 VGA or VESA i believe. (screen is still blank but still loads the game.)

WINDOWS 3.1 does indeed work. install windows or use a preinstalled windows 3.1.
installing windows is fairly easy. The only way so far to get windows 3.1 to work is to set the video mode to EGA. With that said you can play all your windows 3.1 games without any problems. Play all the Jezzball and chips challenge you want.

CD-ROM SUPPORT MISSING
yes, even though it is missing it still doesn't mean you can't image mount it. playing a cd-rom driven game could be quite hard unless you make a bin/cue image of it. Place the bin/cue in "X:\apps\dosbox-wii"
EXAMPLE: imgmount E c:\megarace.cue -t iso -fs iso
you must go according to the alphabet you can't have f:\ without e:\ C and D are already mounted by dosbox by default.

If there are any problems getting a certain program running let me know. because all the games i toss on the Wii work as long as it isnt running at a resolution of 640x480. The only game i have not tried was Quake1 mainly because of the need for a coprocessor, floating point, and the requirements are quite high. If i remember correctly a 66MHZ computer or higher was recommended for that game to run.

IMPORTANT NOTE
DOS DOES NOT SUPPORT LONG FILE NAMES! so if you put a game on your SD card with a folder name longer then 8 characters the name will change to something else to refect the 8 character limit.
EXAMPLE: Phantasmagoria = phanta~1
Re: DosBox Wii
October 20, 2009 05:42PM
I hope to see a frontend solution some day, maybe by using XML configuration or something. Or automatically save the settings after you run a game first time
October 26, 2009 05:39AM
i wish this program was fined tuned more often then the rest of the emulators.
October 27, 2009 01:09PM
ratix
i wish this program was fined tuned more often then the rest of the emulators.

I'd have to agree with this. All the inputs any given DOS game uses can be tied to a controller, and I dont see classic or GC controller support anywhere except for messing with a file within the emulator manually. More support for more controller options would round it out nicely, cause for me keyboard and mouse just dont cut it sometimes. Sometimes you need a control pad.
November 02, 2009 04:38PM
with 1.1 out now the 640x480 problem is fixed. now any game that uses that high of a res is now playable which also means windows 95 is useable now
November 04, 2009 12:47PM
Believe it or not,I have DosBox Wii for months inside my SD card and I have not managed to load any game yet.
I never used a PC back then,so a little help would be greatly appreciated.
My SD 's structure is :

X:\apps\dosbox-wii\separate folders with the games inside

and the same folder games are copied also in X:\dosbox

The problem is that I have absolutely no clue what to type in order to play a game.
Can anyone guide me please?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2009 12:47PM by PANMUSIC.
November 14, 2009 04:43AM
read through this to know how DOS works.
[www.tnd.com]
in short just type "help" and press enter

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2009 04:45AM by ratix.
November 18, 2009 06:22PM
ratix
with 1.1 out now the 640x480 problem is fixed. now any game that uses that high of a res is now playable which also means windows 95 is useable now

^^^How well does it run? I assume you tested it to be able to say it's useable.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login