Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Linking VBA GX to a GBA

Posted by Shredded_Papers 
Linking VBA GX to a GBA
November 11, 2009 05:27AM
Hey everyone. I'm running VBA GX off an SD card via the Homebrew Channel. While playing Pokémon Red tonight, I wondered: could you connect a real GBA to the Wii and trade/battle pokémon?

I dug out my connector (a GBA to Gamecube connector), got everything ready and tested it. The GBA (also playing Pokémon Red :D ) recognized a connection immediately and told me wait. The emulated Red, however, never recognized a connection.

Is there any way to get this to work? I'd love to be able to trade and fight between my file on the GBA and my girlfriend's file on the Wii.

Thanks!
Re: Linking VBA GX to a GBA
November 11, 2009 06:58AM
I don't think that would be possible, but then again I don't really know.
November 11, 2009 07:43PM
Thanks for dashing my hopes and then reviving them. :P

Does anybody else know? I mean, the emulator just needs to support an external link. It doesn't seem like it should be THAT hard.
November 11, 2009 07:53PM
Reverse engineering a system and recreating it virtually isn't hard?
November 11, 2009 09:14PM
I meant adding the ability for it to detect incoming/outgoing connections shouldn't be that hard, especially considering some of the more advanced things people are working on.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2009 09:41PM by Shredded_Papers.
November 11, 2009 10:16PM
that would be a good way to get pokemon you dont have on one version(considering vba gx doesnt support gameshark cheats)
November 11, 2009 10:41PM
As far as I know, VBA-M (which VBA GX) is based off has broken link support (or had some mounths ago). I don't know how hard it would be to add support for it in VBA GX through the GBA-GC connector if link support in VBA-M was fixed, but I'm almost certain it won't be done until it gets fixed in VBA-M.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2009 10:42PM by profetylen.
November 11, 2009 10:52PM
i believe the gba-gc cable uses gamecube input for controls, and i believe that the save file on the cartridge is parsed to check pokemon data, if it isnt it would be easier than actually reverse engineering the gba-gc data transfer system as there are many pokemon savefile tools available
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login