Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Emulators

Posted by persephone325 
Emulators
December 15, 2009 08:55PM
(I couldn't find a topic about this already.) How do the emulators work exactly? What do they do? Do you need to have an original console for them to work?
Re: Emulators
December 15, 2009 09:04PM
Emulators emulate older consoles, like the N64 or NES or Sega consoles. They can run ROMs of the games that ran on the previous sytems. And no, you don't have to have the original console.
December 15, 2009 09:09PM
Would I need the disks of games I wanted to play? Because ROM automatically makes me think of a CD of the game.
December 15, 2009 09:18PM
No. You need to pirate the game if you want to play it through an emulator.
December 15, 2009 10:14PM
ROM =/= CD. A ROM can ONLY be of a cartridge game. An ISO is the equivalent for disc-based games.
December 15, 2009 10:30PM
WaxyPumpkin72
Emulators emulate older consoles
Good job explaining what emulators do :/

WaxyPumpkin72
You need to pirate the game if you want to play it through an emulator.
No you don't.

Emulators are software which virtually recreate another platform to run software from said original platform on a different platform then the software was created for. For example, a NES emulator (FCEUGX) on the Wii allows you to play NES games on the Wii by running the ROM (or data) of the cartridge via virtual a NES created by the Wii.

You can legally get ROMs by dumping the data from the ROM of your cartridges.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2009 10:31PM by Arikado.
December 15, 2009 11:18PM
Not sure if this is allowed here but, what kind of devices would one need to dump a N64 or NES/SNES ROM?
December 15, 2009 11:37PM
Arikado
You can legally get ROMs by dumping the data from the ROM of your cartridges.

Or by downloading homebrew ROMs for a console. Or a homebrew SDK and making your own.

TopGun96
Not sure if this is allowed here but, what kind of devices would one need to dump a N64 or NES/SNES ROM?

You can buy adapters online (not sure exact sites) which plug into the USB port on a computer, and you then plug you game into it. Then you can dump it. For N64, there was also some add-on (cant remember what it was called, something to do with doctor maybe?) that let you backup your games, but I dunno if you could get the ROMs of the device when you backed up the game.
December 16, 2009 01:21AM
Lol all the adapters are either a couple hundred dollars or cant be found anywhere....
Edit: Are there even any that dont require the use of the N64 console? Just one that I plug into my computer then plug the game in?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2009 02:02AM by TopGun96.
December 16, 2009 01:53AM
SifJar
You can buy adapters online (not sure exact sites) which plug into the USB port on a computer, and you then plug you game into it. Then you can dump it. For N64, there was also some add-on (cant remember what it was called, something to do with doctor maybe?) that let you backup your games, but I dunno if you could get the ROMs of the device when you backed up the game.
It was called the Doctor-64, but they're not made anymore, I don't think.
Arikado
Good job explaining what emulators do
Thanks! :)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login