Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

startpatch update blocking...

Posted by dancougar 
startpatch update blocking...
December 22, 2009 03:06AM
Hi all...
Searched long and hard across this site and others....

I manually installed 4.2 with required IOSs using DOP-IOS and patched the sysmenu with Startpatch-mod to block updates (disk and update server). I don't yet have a game that has an update and was wondering how it blocks. I noticed that the update server process just errors out on the last step (I'm assuming this is normal), but with game disk updates, does it just skip it or does it also error out? Basically wondering if WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) is going to be an issue....

Thanks....

-D
Re: startpatch update blocking...
December 22, 2009 03:10AM
it just skips the update partition completely.
December 22, 2009 03:14AM
Thanks for the quick reply Crisco! Do you happen to know if the game requires an IOS I have not yet installed, will it gracefully tell me whats missing or just bomb? (ie. Will I need to warn the family that I should be around to debug new games the first time played?)

We have a couple of new games coming for Christmas and I want to be prepared!

-D
December 22, 2009 03:21AM
If you have properly updated to 4.2 then there should be no reason for the game to not work, the game doesn't even have the 4.2 update more of 4.1.5 update.
December 22, 2009 03:31AM
It's not "properly" updated. I wanted to keep my old official bugged IOS's in order to keep my options open. Seems that patching the bug into updated files has it's own set of problems. Thanks again for the replies!

-D
December 22, 2009 03:40AM
there's no need to patch the bug into update files anymore, at =least not with TBR and Dop-IOS MOD so really you could do a wifi update then just restore the trucha bug into that IOS
December 22, 2009 04:56PM
if you dont have the IOS needed for a game, it will just black screen when you attempt to run it.
December 24, 2009 04:54AM
Thanks SifJar...Then just need to do a little research to see what needs installing. Do games just look for the version of IOS (ie IOS61) or do they also look for specific revisions?

-D
December 24, 2009 10:03AM
provided you have the right version, revision is irrelevant. if you just download dop ios mod and update all the ios, all games will work.
December 28, 2009 10:30PM
SifJar and Crisco...

Like many things homebrew across all platforms....this isn't 100% clear, so forgive if I am totally wrong.

I have some IOS's on my Wii that are bugged versions supplied from Nintendo. (I was originally on 3.3 v1 before I manually upgraded using instructions on Arikado's Blog.) My understanding from what I've read here and on Hackmii is that there is some basic difference between an official bugged IOS and an updated IOS that has been patched with the bug. (I know I've read (and of course now can not find reference to) that some homebrew will not function properly with patched IOS...only the older official IOS that contained the bug.)

I've also noticed that a lot of homebrew still requires a bugged IOS to function.

Thus I was trying to keep my options open by maintaining my "official" bugged IOS but also getting the latest sysmenu (and thus the easy to use startpatch to prevent updates). This makes my wife and kids happy, while allowing me to fiddle around with the latest homebrew.

Am I wrong in all these assumptions? If I just installed all the latest IOS with dop-ios....why wouldn't I just officially update instead? (Unless you are suggesting to also use dop-ios to bug some of the IOS I am updating?)

Thanks again for the replies.... I find this very helpful information...Hoping others that come across this thread do as well.

-D
December 28, 2009 11:18PM
I am not quite sure what you are asking. I believe Dop-IOS MOD and TBR actually download an official bugged IOS from nintendo's servers. But what applications are you not sure about? I believe anything the normal homebrew users would use don't really care about how you got the trucha bug.
December 29, 2009 12:01AM
There is slight difference to a patched update IOS and an original IOS with bugs, but the only app that it really matters for is HackMii Installer. Anyway, you only need IOS36 to be patched really, most apps use that IOS. But if you wish to keep your current IOS, that is fine. Just fill in any gaps in your set of IOS and all games will work, you do not need to update your current IOS. Sorry if I was unclear before.
December 29, 2009 04:04AM
Thanks guys!

Crisco...dos-ios installs an updated IOS without the bug and then patches the bug back into it...as SifJar stated....Hackmii (and I assume other bushing software) can see the unofficially patched version and not run properly on purpose. (I thought this issue affected more applications however...maybe I am wrong.)

So...I guess....without too much risk of affecting anything normal homebrew...you can officially update, eliminating all bugged IOS. Then use the bug restorer to install IOS36 with the bug patched in to support the apps that need it. (From reading the docs on the restorer though...I would assume that Nintendo will remove IOS15 or in someway "fix" their updates servers to prevent this in the future.)

So for now anyway...I think Ill just update by hand and keep my system menu patched to prevent updates. Although it's kind of a pain, it seems to work! Only thing I don't like about this setup is how startpatch blocks the nintendo update....it's a little concerning that you can go through all the steps to do the update and then it just bombs with an error at the end.

Appreciate the discussion on the topic...thanks again...

-D
December 29, 2009 05:06PM
Nintendo removing IOS15 from their servers may help a little, but people would still share it illegally online. They couldn't remove it from the Wii altogether. But from what I've read, it would be VERY easy for them to prevent TBR from working, they have about half a dozen possibilities, all of which would stop it working.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login