Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

sega genplus, play 32x games in emulation

Posted by dirtrider73068 
sega genplus, play 32x games in emulation
January 26, 2010 07:16AM
I have a question, I finally I think found a B-ball game for sega, but for a short period sega had a 32x add on the mega drive system, and there are 3 B-ball games same title but one is 32x edition. Will the 32x games run on the emulators, or is or will there be a 32x emulator? There was only 34 games form what I have googled for the 32x sega. Was there any difference in teh 32x sega over the mega drive sega? I had just the old fashioned mega drive sega. Just curious.
Re: sega genplus, play 32x games in emulation
January 26, 2010 05:58PM
The Sega Genesis emulator Wii has doesnt support 32x emulation. Will there be a 32x emulator? That's unknown. If someone really wanted to they could make one. Is there one? No.
January 26, 2010 11:46PM
Gens is open source and has this capability. However, parts of it are written in x86 assembly, making a port harder.
January 27, 2010 06:17AM
^^^When tehskeen was active Eke-Eke had a release thread for his port, and I remember him saying it didnt have that capability. Sega CD it does, but 32x I distinctly remember him saying it didnt. Granted it is open source, but that's what I remember of the discussion about 32x on his port when it was asked.
January 27, 2010 08:49AM
Nope, Gens has 32x and Sega CD support and is indeed open-source. However, these parts are written in x86 asm and therefore would need to be rewritten in C or PPC asm, which, also considering the modifications required to integrate that in genesis plus, would be the same as rewriting a whole 32x/SegaCD emulator from scratch.

Also, considering the requirements for 32x emulation on computer (there are 2x SH2 cpu running at high speed in parallel with the Genesis hardware), there is no chance a simple C implementation could run decently on the Wii, this would probably need a hell of optimization, which makes it very unlikely to happen.
January 27, 2010 05:09PM
That's probably what I remember then. You said something along the lines of your port wouldnt have the capability cause of limitations of the Wii. I'm not saying it wouldnt be possible, but I remembered the discussion about your port, and it's as you say very unlikely to happen. Though seemingly there are coders out that want to try and tackle such things. Speaking of which how's that one guy doing with implementing sound in HUGO!? I remember a user on tehskeen expressing interest in working on your emulators a bit, and wanting to get sound emulation for Turbo CD games implemented. With tehskeen gone there's no way of knowing the progress he's made since he seemed to be using the forums to post his things.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2010 05:10PM by nightwishfan1.
January 27, 2010 05:29PM
I've added him as project contributer on both projects but didn't heard of him anymore. Generally speaking, there are a lot of "motivated" people out there who wants to help or just do something but unfortunately it's one thing to be willing to add support for complicated things and another one to actually be able to do it .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2010 05:29PM by ekeeke.
January 27, 2010 06:24PM
Shame that he hasnt been heard from. I remember he had some rather ambitious ideas to implement things. Sega CD in your port being one if I recall correctly along with Turbo CD sound emulation. Anyways I do realize that some people do need to have skills to be able to do the things people ask for. It's a shame though that when one does turn up that they do a quick thing and leave it at that seemingly. Case in point would be the GX Geo emulator. The guy who took it did a few minor optimizations then dropped off the face of the net. Same with a few others. However I give credit to a member here for sticking to what he said he'd do, and that would Dancinninja who said he'd help Tantric optimizie VBA GX more, and he did. Matter of fact I took a look at that projects page, and it seems from what he's said that he's done optmizing things that needed it, and that could be optimized. So seemingly that's done.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2010 07:43PM by nightwishfan1.
January 11, 2015 06:57AM
so, Wii Homebrew can play Nintendo 64... but not 32x? I am surprised that people went through the trouble to make all of the emulators that they have... but there were a handful of enjoyable 32x games that i'd like to actually play on my Wii. I don't know anything about programming, but if it is possible to run the emulator on the PC, why can't that be copied and pasted to the Gens homebrew app? It can't be that hard or time consuming to write it and chances are, a lot of people will want to play them.

i had a 32x when i was younger. I don't know why sega had to make sega cd, then 32x, then saturn... they really nailed a solid console with dreamcast. but it's a shame sega lost everything really. the 90's were the most nostalgic time for me... and 32x was a brief, but large part of that era.

someone please write the damn thing...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login