Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Gecko OS Rebooter No Copy Protection instead of Save Game Manager

Posted by elmoreas 
Gecko OS Rebooter No Copy Protection instead of Save Game Manager
January 29, 2010 08:45PM
Even after running DOP-IOS MOD v11 (with success thanks Arikado for your hard work on v11 great job making it better) Save Game Manager will still not function right, even though it is set up correctly. I was told you could change the No copy protection settings in Gecko OS Rebooter Settings and then Reboot your system and copy the saves that way. The only problem is the person did not know how you copied your saves that way. So I have two questions, 1.) Does this method work? & 2.) How do you copy the saves over? Do you do it in the data managment section just off the main screen, or play the game and save, or what? Thanks in advance to those that help. Hope you are all having a good one. Later.

Sincerely,
Elmoreas

P.S. - I am only so adament about getting all these saves over to a SD card and then to a PC because of the saved game app we are making for HBC.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2010 08:53PM by elmoreas.
Re: Gecko OS Rebooter No Copy Protection instead of Save Game Manager
January 29, 2010 08:55PM
Save Game Manager doesn't work because Save Game Manager only functions off of a cIOS 249 and you don't have it installed. To be honest, I really can't recommend that you install one (or at least certainly NOT the popular one) ... Hm. I should make a MOD ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2010 08:57PM by Arikado.
January 29, 2010 09:09PM
Considering what they are used for I don't blame you and since I would lose all support rights here and for moral reasons I won't be installing it. But if you make a mod then I would. That would be great BTW, I am sure there are a lot of people who would love to have Save Game Manager that are not willing to install cIOS 249 so it would likely be popular. It sure would help me out. I have over a dozen saves that need to go into this app that I cannot copy over at the moment, and several more of the games I am going to make saves for are likely to be the same way. In the mean time, any chance you know anything about the Gecko Reboot way of doing it? Does it work, and how? Thanks.

Sincerely,
Elmoreas
January 29, 2010 09:31PM
If you have one of the newer system menus (anything greater then 3.3v2 afaik) my understanding is that the Gecko OS method won't work.

And fine. I'll do a MOD ... (Should only take about 20 min tops anyways :p)
January 29, 2010 10:12PM
You could use the cIOS Patchmii Installer. If you are on system menu 4.2, you will need to run it twice. The first time it will remove the stub IOS 249, it will install cIOS the second time. Or, you could use Dop-IOS Mod to trucha patch the appropriate IOS for the Gecko OS rebooter. Then that would work.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2010 10:18PM by jbc007.
January 29, 2010 10:21PM
I have the Gecko OS rebooter option, I just need to know how to use it. I have the system menu already DOP-IOS MODed. I also know to turn the no copy protection flag setting in rebooter to yes. I just don't know once the system is rebooted what method to do to copy the save to the SD card. Like run the game and save or go into the data managment and try to copy, or what. I was hoping someone might have done this before and would know. But I guess I can just test each method and see what works, if any. But if someone does know please let me know. Thanks, and thanks for making that mod Arikado that is very cool of you. Later all.

Sincerely,
Elmoreas
January 29, 2010 10:24PM
With the rebooter, you should be able to copy the saves through data management.
January 30, 2010 03:10AM
[www.mediafire.com]

I did this in record time. Let me know if it works for you elmoreas (or anyone else who wants to test). If so, I'll release it for everyone else on WiiBrew.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2010 03:12AM by Arikado.
January 31, 2010 12:37AM
Soooooo Close.... It worked right up to the point where you selected the save file to down load. At that screen, it just says to pick which one, but it does not list them, it is blank. When you go ahead and hit a it brings up some random file that has unrecognizable characters in the name field and some numbers that look like a USB Gecko Address below that. When I tried to copy that over, just as a test it says error rev (-1017) and I had to back out and go back to the main screen with the home button.

I think it will work, it is just a bug in the coding. I think I know what I am doing enough to do this but it is possible that I am just stupid and it is me and the mod is fine, but the blank screen seems to indicate to me that it may be a glitch, cause you cannot select which save to copy. If I could have selected the right one, perhaps it would have worked. And even if I could have selected the right one and it still didn't work we would be that much closer to a working SGM that doesn't rely on cIOS 249 which would be great.

Just for your information I was working on a TBR'ed IOS 36 when trying to do this.If this isn't enough to diagnosis and fix the issue and you need more information or want me to run the app again and write down what it says precisely and PM/post it let me know and I will do whatever you need me to do to get you the information. Thanks for helping me out and for all the hard work. I appreciate it, and it will help make our app have a more robust save game list when done so thanks for that too. Talk to you later.

Sincerely,
Elmoreas

P.S. - I tried the Gecko OS Rebooter method both ways and it failed on both attempts so it must only work on <3.2 even if the IOS is fakesigned. Just an FYI for those with similar issues.
January 31, 2010 02:32AM
Are you sure that you have the trucha bug in the appropriate IOS? The -1017 error usually means that you don't have the trucha bug. Also, do you have the trucha bug in your system menu IOS? I'm not sure, but the Gecko OS rebooter may require that.
January 31, 2010 05:54AM
I'm currently unable to test my MOD and jbc007 brings up a very good point. Would someone else be willing to test it to confirm if it is broken or if elmoreas is doing something wrong. I took a peek through the source and there's nothing apparently obvious that I did that should cause a failure as all I did was change the background image to a title bar and change the IOS loaded.
January 31, 2010 08:33AM
No I do not have the trucha bug in my System menu IOS, just in IOS 36. So I have a few questions that may solve this for me.

1.) On v4.2 what is the system menu IOS number, 60/61/etc..?

2.) Is it safe to trucha bug the system menu, I mean in the sense that it is relatively as safe as doing it to IOS 36?

3.) What app should I use to trucha bug the system menu, TBR or DOP IOS MOD v11.2?

4.) If I get the system menu trucha bugged successfully, "knock on wood", will this help make the Save Game Manager Mod work too or just the Gecko OS Rebooter?

5.) If I ever update the menu to say v4.3 will I have to do this again or does the IOS stay the same?

6.) If I update to v4.3 in the future could this cause issues, ie having the system menu IOS bugged?

7.) Lastly, what are the realistic odds of this causing a brick or semi-brick?

In case you need more information about my system to answer any of these questions here it is. It is a White Model Year 2009 on v4.2 with a drivekey in it, so far the only IOS mod is TBR on IOS 36, it has HBC installed through Hackmii and bannerbomb, it has the drive that won't play dvds even with DVDx, the drive chip is a GC2-D2E, It has bootmii as an IOS, it does not have pre/priiloader installed, I have kept NAND modifications to a bare minimum in fact I have listed all of them here. That is all I can think of if more information is needed just let me know. Thanks for all the help, sorry to ask so many questions but at least most are yes and no answers. Talk to you all later.

Elmoreas
January 31, 2010 04:22PM
You only need the trucha bug in one IOS to use the rebooter. I know from experience.
January 31, 2010 06:23PM
1) System menu 4.2 uses IOS 70
2) Your wii should be fine if you patch the system menu IOS, but if the patch fails, your wii will be fully bricked.
3) Dop-IOS Mod
4) I guess I was wrong about needing this for the rebooter, so it probably won't help with either.
5) There is no way to know until 4.3 is released
6) It should not cause any issues in the future.
7) It probably will not cause a brick, but there is a slight chance that it will cause a full brick.

Perhaps IOS 36 actually isn't trucha patched. Have you successfully used other things that require the trucha bug in IOS 36? Try running Sign Check to verify whether it has the trucha bug.
January 31, 2010 08:40PM
I have the same problem with the app as elmoreas. I ran signcheck and found the trucha bug in IOS 36 (the IOS I was trying to run the app with) and I got the exact same error rev (-1017). Is there anything else that could cause the problem? (I have a trucha bugged IOS 15 that I don't need, but that shouldn't be the problem if I'm running of IOS 36, right)?
January 31, 2010 08:56PM
Sounds like the ISFS file system isn't being handled properly which would be a bug in savegame manager itself. I'll look into fixing it. Thanks to everyone who tested it!
February 01, 2010 12:46AM
I have run sign check and I do indeed have trucha installed on IOS 36. So to recap even if I trucha bugged IOS 70 it would not help my situation and it "could" cause a full brick if something went wrong, so there is really no need to do it. Also the issue seems to be in the app and not my Wii's IOS's setup so I should just wait for the fix and try again, correct? Also I have run an app before that required the trucha bug and it worked so I know it is working on IOS 36. Plus after running TBR I now have access to WW/VC cheats and Rebooter in Gecko OS which without trucha you cannot access on 4.2 so AFAIK it must be working. I guess I should wait for the fix of SGM and try again. Thanks for all the help talk to you all later. Have a good one.

Sincerely,
Elmoreas
February 02, 2010 03:48AM
So Arikado did you have any luck finding out what was wrong with the ISFS file system, or is it too soon to be asking? Sorry I don't know how long this will take or how busy you are. I was also wondering if I should go ahead and risk DOP-IOS MODing the system menu on v4.2 to see if that helps? Before I do that should I turn off my update blocker? Sorry I know it is a dumb question but I want to be clear because I don't want a full brick. This is presuming of course that you think it would even help. Let me know what you think and whats going on with the mod of SGM if you can and have the time. Thank you so much for all your help. Have a good one. Talk to you later.

Sincerely,
Elmoreas

P.S. - Questions other than status of mod are open to anyone of course, BTW. Have a good one all. Later.
February 02, 2010 04:18AM
To soon to be asking sorry. I have midterm exams this week and haven't put any time into it since last weekend. I will try again in a couple days though. Thanks for the support :)
February 02, 2010 04:53AM
If you want to copy the saves now, just install Tona's cIOS and use the origional Save Game Manager. Or install Startpatch or Priiloader. Either of those will be easiest, since they will allow you to copy the saves through the system menu just like those without the no copy flag.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login