Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Emulators cut-off sides of screen

Posted by TheManuel 
Emulators cut-off sides of screen
December 13, 2008 03:49PM
I have noticed that almost all of the emulators overshoot the screen horizontally so that some text and graphics in the games get cut off.
However, this does not seem to be the case with actual Wii or Gamecube games or even with the HBC and HBB.
Has anybody else noticed or is this a problem with my TV?

If I zoom out of the picture, I can get it to fit and see the missing graphics but I don't like to use the function because it distorts the graphics a bit. When I'm done playing with the zoom and want to restore the image to the default size, I turn un the "Filtered" option and then turn it back off again. This resets the image to the correct size and eliminates any distortion but gets me back to the screen out-of-bounds problem.
In fact, even the emulator GUI's overshoot the screen although I notice it mostly vertically where some of the text about the author gets cut off.

All of the above is without using the 16:9 correction feature which further distorts the image. I correct the aspect ratio with my TV's built-in function to do that.

Regards.
Re: Emulators cut-off sides of screen
December 14, 2008 07:25PM
I also noticed the HBB gets cutoff at the top and bottom of the screen.
I can only see half of the text that indicates the amount of free space left in the SD card, for instance.
December 14, 2008 10:38PM
Good number of apps have that problem.

I noticed even Quake get cuts off at the top and bottom of the screen.
December 15, 2008 02:57AM
True. That too.
You can barely see the icons at the bottom of the screen on Quake.
I think it may be that TV overscan is not beeing accounted for properly.
Analog PC monitors have little or no overscan as (you control that within the monitor's menu anyway) and of course, fixed resolution displays like LCD screens don't either (there is no "scanning" in those) so maybe the programmers see the image correctly on their displays but we loose some of it on analog screens.
I'll have to get with the times and buy a nice LCD someday when I'm not broke.
December 15, 2008 01:56PM
TheManuel
Analog PC monitors have little or no overscan as (you control that within the monitor's menu anyway) and of course, fixed resolution displays like LCD screens don't either (there is no "scanning" in those)

Unfortunately a lot of LCD and Plasma TVs have overscan!
Even some Full HD TVs have overscan on Full HD Material.

Sometimes it depends on the Input (for example: overscan on HDMI, but not on VGA).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2008 05:58PM by daniel_c_w.
December 15, 2008 03:14PM
Maybe it is intentional to eilimate "extra lines" in broadcast.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login