Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Priiloader is it dangerous? Is it worth it?

Posted by elmoreas 
Priiloader is it dangerous? Is it worth it?
February 16, 2010 12:45PM
Hey all, I have seen in the Fixmii section horror story after horror story of bricked wiis from people installing Priiloader and it causing a brick. Isn't Priiloader supposed to be there to help you recover from a brick or help prevent one in the first place?

I have been toying with the idea of installing it on my main Wii to help protect it but am unsure if I should do it as I do not know if it is dangerous and if it is worth it? Are people just installing it wrong or does it have bugs or does it fail to install properly that often?

Also if I posted a list of the modifications made to my Wii, would someone be more able to tell me if Priiloader would install onto the system safely, or if it would have issues installing? Thanks to those that answer in advance, I really appreciate your help. Have a good one.

Sincerely,
Elmoreas

P.S. Just an FYI I am not lucky enough to have bootmii as boot2, only as an IOS so AKAIK Priiloader or Preloader are my only choices. If someone knows of another safer/easier option please let me know. Thanks again all. Later.
Re: Priiloader is it dangerous? Is it worth it?
February 16, 2010 01:50PM
Priiloader is perfectly safe if you have the slightest iota of common sense. All the people posting that stuff in the FixMii section are idiots, and almost all their problems are stupid and simple to fix. Its take seconds to actually install, and provided you don't lost power during that, it won't brick you.

Once you have it, provided your System Menu or System Menu IOS aren't deleted, you cannot be bricked. This means you are protected from Banner Bricks etc.

Also, you can set Priiloader to autoboot BootMii/IOS, and have BootMii/IOS setup to load SNEEK, meaning you can boot directly into a SNEEK environment, i.e. it is IMPOSSIBLE to brick your Wii, as your real NAND isn't touched. You may want to consider doing that.
February 16, 2010 04:05PM
Hi all,

I have bootmii as boot2 and I also have a NAND backup on SD card and I also have bannerbomb installed. Should I get priiloader too?

I was wondering what exactly priiloader is? Anyone know of a good site to read more about priiloader? No need to give a long explanation, but I would like a link to a site, if you know of a really good site that has this topic covered in great detail.

Thanks.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2010 05:39PM by Keith_Loving.
February 16, 2010 04:12PM
Keith_Loving
Hi all,

I have bootmii as boot2 and I also have a NAND backup on SD card and I also have bannerbomb installed. Should I get priiloader too?

I was wondering what exactly priiloader is? Anyone know of a good site to read more about priiloader? No need to give a long explanation, but I would like a link to a site, if you know of a really good site that has this topic covered in great detail.

Also, I am not into the "wad" thing...you know, wads of VC or wiiware games, so I won't get a brick from that since I don't use VC and wiiware wads....so do I still need priiloader? In hind-sight, If I install wads of "channel forwarders" I suppose I would need to have priiloader to be safe.

Thanks.

You obviously don't know what priiloader is so don't even THINK about installing it without doing quite a bit of research first. FYI, BootMii/boot2 is perfectly good if all you want is brick protection. Its only if you want priiloader's OTHER features you should install it alongside BootMii/boot2. Anyway, you can read about it on [www.wiibrew.org], just search for priiloader.
February 16, 2010 04:39PM
SifJar,

It was this staement of mine "I was wondering what exactly priiloader is?" that you was able to conclude that "You obviously don't know what priiloader is..." You could have gone without the first sentence of your reply as your arogance will get you nothing. I'll look it up myself, thanks!

***Edit***
After looking up "priiloader"....priiloaders "other" features are to prevent bricks, either from disc updates or from out of region games.

This is your first and final warning. Do mention ripping/backing up/burning games on the WiiBrew Forums again.--Arikado

Thanks.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2010 09:10PM by Arikado.
February 16, 2010 09:08PM
Keith_Loving
After looking up "priiloader"....priiloaders "other" features are to prevent bricks, either from disc updates or from out of region games.

These "features" are actually system menu hacks. They rarely prevent bricks. A system update will not brick a wii unless you do something really stupid to it. Also, you can't get a brick from an out of region update unless you patch the system menu to accept games from other regions, which is accomplished with another Priiloader hack. The remove disc update check patch is also useful for people who don't want to update, but still play newer games through the disc channel.

Priiloader can also apply a number of other patches to the system menu, some of which are quite useful, but provide absolutely no brick protection. Furthermore, it can autoboot the Homebrew Channel, or any application you like. Crazy Intro is a good example.

Oh, and we don't support "ripped games" here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2010 09:10PM by jbc007.
February 16, 2010 10:06PM
Keith_Loving
It was this staement of mine "I was wondering what exactly priiloader is?" that you was able to conclude that "You obviously don't know what priiloader is..." You could have gone without the first sentence of your reply as your arogance will get you nothing. I'll look it up myself, thanks!

Expecting to be spoon fed everything won't get anything either ;)

Anyway, I was merely trying to emphasize that priiloader is a VERY advanced tool which should only be installed if you are 100% sure you know what it is, why you need it, and how to use it. Otherwise, it'll cause far more "bricks" than it'll prevent/fix. (I say "bricks" because most of the time people think their Wii is bricked when changing a setting or two is all that is required, and their Wii is not really bricked, just poorly configured). I apologize if I came across as arrogant.
February 17, 2010 01:29AM
No problem SifJar....

But wow, look at that warning I got in big red bold font. yikes, what did I do? just merely use the "r" word in one sentence and nothing more, and bam, I am hit with my 1st and last warning. O_o? I even gave $20 donation yesterday :-(

To the guy who gave me the last warning, thanks for making me feel appreciated. Its a fine line, and I don't think I crossed it, I have seen other posts cross over the line further, but it is only your opinion that matters here, not mine and no one elses. I didn't know it yesterday, but today I see that I gave my 1st and last $20 donation yesterday. Thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2010 01:36AM by Keith_Loving.
February 17, 2010 01:48AM
Keith_Loving
SifJar,

***Edit***

This is your first and final warning. Do mention ripping/backing up/burning games on the WiiBrew Forums again.--Arikado

Thanks.

Arikado, did you take any time at all to think about what you just did?

Let me summarize:

1) It took you two edits to type that warning, and you still got your warning wrong.
2) Your warning says DO mention ripping/backing up...I suggest you say DO NOT...you forgot the NOT
3) You should think about what I said, was it really that bad? I don't think my statement crossed over the line, just merely using the "r" word in passing. In fact, your warning crossed over the line to a degree much worse than the statement that I made that you had blocked.
4) Not that it makes much differnce, but you just gave an unfair warning to a $20 donor and I only been registered with this site for 40 hours in total.
5) I suggest you at least think these things thru before smaking me with that undeserved warning...and at least give me the warning correctly... Don't tell me to "Do" when you mean "Do Not". Can't you at least proof read your own warnings before you hit the submite "Post message" button? And are you really that hard up to harrass people on here? jeezus krimsones O_o?
February 17, 2010 02:17AM
@Keith_Loving
1) Everyone makes mistakes and Arikado is no exception. He just forgot one word, jeez..
2) See 1
3) I don't know what you said, but it's still against the rules of these forums to mention "ripping" games.
4) Just because you donated doesn't mean you deserve special treatment. Any other user would have gotten the same warning.
February 17, 2010 02:29AM
I still call it abuse of power. I mean, come on.

The difference here is that Arikado has the power, regardless of anything else. I call it like it is, and that was out-right abuse of power. So who is going to lay down the hammer to Arikado? He just told everyone in big red font to "Do mention ripping/backing up/burning games on the WiiBrew Forums again"

I find it odd, because my statement was a question about priiloaders that happened to contain the "r" word and I get the pole shoved up my rear end for doing so. That is what abuse of power is all about. This is your first and final warning. Do mention ripping/backing up/burning games on the WiiBrew Forums again.--Arikado does not even hit any points on my comment that I made that was blocked out, Couldn't the wanring at least have been relavent to my statement that was blocked instead of going on with a default warning of somesort? He missed the target all together and I say he is just hard up on harrassing people. That is the summary of all of this, I have no rebuttal in this. It is to accept the unfair warning, but not without me calling it for exactly what it is...BS.
February 17, 2010 02:47AM
Um I really feel like my thread has been hijacked. I was looking for information about priiloader and its safety. Admin or mod could you please make a second thread for my topic and the on topic replies. No disrespect intended to anyone, I am staying out of this one as it is not my argument, but I would like to get back on topic and hear some more opinions on priiloader so I after I finish doing the research on it I can decide if I want to use it or not. And if so, whether or not I will need assisstance installing it or if I can handle it.

I have had a really bad run of luck here lately and I am reluctant to try priiloader for fear it will damage a perfectly good and working Wii but then again I would like to have it to have the extra protection and to be able to boot to something other than the system menu should the worst happen. Anyways I would really like to hear more of the pros and cons or just some more opinions on it, please. Thanks all. Have a good one, talk to you all later.

Sincerely,
Elmoreas
February 17, 2010 03:14AM
Please accept my apologies for ruining your thread. I was trying to respond to the post and blew a cork when I got warned, still feel I don't deserve it but whatever. Perhaps the Admin can just delete all my posts from this thread to clean it back up and to get back on topic.

My 2 cents about priiloader, is not to use it. I don't have priiloader and don't have much interest in messing with it.

Keith
February 17, 2010 03:29AM
Keith_Loving
My 2 cents about priiloader, is not to use it.
Do you have any reason why?

@elmoreas:
I would say that there's no reason to not use it. If you're just looking for brick protection, then just install bootmii boot2, but if you can't do that, you may as well install priiloader, because AFAIK, it is useful for brick protection.
February 17, 2010 04:28AM
@ Keith_Loving: Arikado edited your post once, you edited it the first time

@ WaxyPumpkin72: Elmoreas said that his wii has a fixed boot1.

Back on topic. As was already mentioned, there is practly no risk in installing Priiloader. If you have use for any of its features other than brick protection, such as system menu hacks or autobooting things, you should install it. If you want it for brick protection only, it is worth installing if you are going to do something that could cause a brick that Priiloader could fix. In other words, if you are going to install custom channels or themes, you should deffinitely install Priiloader first. If you will not be doing any of these things, Priiloader will be kind of useless to you, but it won't cause any problems if you do install it.
February 17, 2010 04:42AM
elmoreas, I am truly sorry that this happened to your topic. If you would like to open a second topic please feel free to do so and I promise you I will not let it get hijacked. I feel forced to reply to KeithLoving in public because of his strong comments against me. Whether you choose to continue your discussion here or not is entirely up to you. Please let me know if there is anything at all I can do.

KeithLoving, first things first, here is your exact comment I removed. Several users reported your comment so I and every other moderator and administrator have a copy of it.
KeithLoving
Since I am only interested in playing games from my region NTSC-U and
also only interested in playing ripped games from my 500GB external
HDD...it appears I have no use for priiloader.

The only thing this guide:
[www.wiihacks.com]
does not make clear is: Am I able to rip a game to the 500 GB HDD (using
USB Loader GX add game feature) if the game disc requires a disc
update?

Now, the worst thing you've done in your posts against me is to yourself. You've talked too much. I have a lot of great material to respond to now, so let's get started.

KeithLoving
Arikado, did you take any time at all to think about what you just did?
Read your comment and tell me if I really needed to put much thought into what I was doing?

KeithLoving
1) It took you two edits to type that warning, and you still got your warning wrong.
No cupcake. Edit one was by you. Edit two was by me. I only made one edit.

KeithLoving
2) Your warning says DO mention ripping/backing up...I suggest you say DO NOT...you forgot the NOT
LOL, I fail. Let's all laugh. Hahahahahahahahaha. St00pid admin! Now seriously, you obviously understand what I intended to say and that's all that matters.

KeithLoving
3) You should think about what I said, was it really that bad? I don't think my statement crossed over the line, just merely using the "r" word in passing. In fact, your warning crossed over the line to a degree much worse than the statement that I made that you had blocked.
This is a complete lie. You in no way mentioned this in passing.

KeithLoving
4) Not that it makes much differnce, but you just gave an unfair warning to a $20 donor and I only been registered with this site for 40 hours in total.
Where did you donate to? Please provide a link that you donated to so I can cross reference this. You've already lied about your original statement so it's understandable that I believe you are making this up in order to make me look bad. Also, when you donate to WiiBrew, you are not donating to me. Just the mha who hosts the server.

KeithLoving
5) I suggest you at least think these things thru before smaking me with that undeserved warning...and at least give me the warning correctly... Don't tell me to "Do" when you mean "Do Not". Can't you at least proof read your own warnings before you hit the submite "Post message" button? And are you really that hard up to harrass people on here? jeezus krimsones O_o?
I could be a real douchebag here and write a parody of this aimed at your poor spelling and uninspired arguments. But I won't.

KeithLoving
The difference here is that Arikado has the power, regardless of anything else. I call it like it is, and that was out-right abuse of power. So who is going to lay down the hammer to Arikado?
No it is not an abuse of power. The other admins do this all the time. Use the search function why don't ya? Also, you bring up an interesting point which I'll provide the answer to. If an admin or moderator does abuses his boundaries than any other admin has the ability to demote them and if necessary get rid of them completely.

KeithLoving
Couldn't the wanring at least have been relavent to my statement that was blocked instead of going on with a default warning of somesort? He missed the target all together and I say he is just hard up on harrassing people. That is the summary of all of this, I have no rebuttal in this. It is to accept the unfair warning, but not without me calling it for exactly what it is...BS.
I fail to see how my warning does not apply to your comment I removed. Once again you are lieing to everyone here and only making yourself look bad.

In short KeithLoving, you made a mistake. Grow up and get over it. I am a nice guy and I intend to let you continue to be a part of our forum. I am also willing to put this entire matter in the past if you are as well. You clearly enjoy this forum and it would be a shame to see you leave overr something which was not a big issue until you made it one. Whatever you decide, I would like to vouch to continue this discussion with you in private so as not to ruin elmoreas's innocent thread any longer. Whether our issue with each other continues publicly, privately, or just dies right here and now is entirely up to you.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2010 04:47AM by Arikado.
February 17, 2010 06:03AM
Well, I wrote a big long nasty message and when I got done writing it, I decided to deleted it. Since you are the forum mod, the higher archy, you could have handled this better from the very start, so consider this a lessoned learned for yourself. Again, I say delete all my posts in this thread or kill this thread in it's entirely, and tomorrow will be a new day.

BTW....No you made the mistake, and I was the victim.....cough...cough....glad we got that cleared up now. I'm right, you're wrong, that's all that matters nice guy.

Look, I get the whole concept that you are doing your job here as forum moderator...the fact is, I took that warning as a personal attack on me, and then you felt attacked from my comment...so what do you do? You attack me right back....just brilliant. You could have avoided this whole pissing match if you just sent me a PM or said your warning towards me in another tone. You should consider this a lessoned learned for yourself as forum mod. The warning you gave me came from a total jerk, perhaps that is the real you, and not some nice guy you invision as yourself to be. It is possible to send warning messages without using the tone of a jerk. I am new here and I probably am not much different than the majority of the other users here. I'll be most likely to re-visit these forums on infrequent occasions. Unlike you, I don't make these forums my life, now don't take that the wrong way. People like me are a dime a dozen, they come and they go...and I won't be missed either way...but one thing stays the same here....and that is YOU. Next time, do your job, but do it in another manner/tone.

KL from Show Mii's
February 17, 2010 06:29AM
jbc007
Keith_Loving

These "features" are actually system menu hacks. They rarely prevent bricks. A system update will not brick a wii unless you do something really stupid to it. Also, you can't get a brick from an out of region update unless you patch the system menu to accept games from other regions, which is accomplished with another Priiloader hack. The remove disc update check patch is also useful for people who don't want to update, but still play newer games through the disc channel.

Priiloader can also apply a number of other patches to the system menu, some of which are quite useful, but provide absolutely no brick protection. Furthermore, it can autoboot the Homebrew Channel, or any application you like. Crazy Intro is a good example.

Oh, and we don't support "ripped games" here.

LMAO...that pirate song was great!
February 17, 2010 07:44AM
Keith_Loving
BTW....No you made the mistake, and I was the victim.....cough...cough....glad we got that cleared up now. I'm right, you're wrong, that's all that matters nice guy.
I fail to see your logic here. You link to a site with illegal material and talk about only wanting to play ripped games off a hard drive [which is not supported on these forums]. He gave you a warning and you got pissed. like I said, any other user would have gotten the same warning.
Keith_Loving
Its a fine line, and I don't think I crossed it
You thought wrong.

I'd say just leave it at that and let elmoreas have his topic back.
February 17, 2010 08:31AM
Sorry so long but it was necessary "THIS" time.

I really am just looking for brick protection, I do not intend to use priiloader for any of its other features, I wish I could just use boot2 but my system only has bootmii as an IOS available. I do not intend to use any custom channels or themes or use any out of region games or downgrade or anything like that, however I do plan to use apps that modify the NAND.

Only in so far as they advance the app that we are working on for a savegame downloader app and I will need to install trucha bug and ES identify on IOS 70 and 249 and Save Game Manager (Mod) so that I can copy saves that have copy flag protection. I may in the future use NAND modifying apps though I do not know what that would be and hence the possible need to install priiloader now.

The thing is I am not sure I am familar enough with priiloader to install it safely. Is there a step by step guide out there for installing it? And does having IOS 36 TBR'ed or a modchip with update blocker turned to block all updates on affect the installation? I know this is not a modchip support forum and if I am out of line for asking I appologize, but I do not want to get partway into installing it and get a brick because of not asking a question I actually thought of ahead of time. I don't need support on the issue just a yes or no on if it is a problem.

Those are the only real mods to this system so as long as they are not an issue I do not see priiloader installation having a problem beyond human error. And hopefully that can be avoided by proper education and research before doing the install. Lastly if I want my Wii to boot to the system menu normally is there a way to let it do so and then if it ever bricks get it to boot to homebrew so it can be fixed and if so what apps do I need to have pre-installed in homebrew to fix it?

FYI I already have my Wii on a 120 minute battery backup with 1.5ms switch over in case power dies during an install or update and I also already own a savemii and have already made a NAND backup of my system back when it was still virgin save for HBC being installed with bootmii but that was it, no apps and no mods yet so its a clean backup. Not sure if it will do any good with bootmii as an IOS but with priiloader installed I should be able to boot to HBC and then go to bootmii and do a NAND restore in a worst case scenario, right?

Okay that topic was way long and I appologize but I am getting close to a decision and I have a lot of questions to ask before I invest time in learning the ins and outs of priiloader so I can install it properly. Thanks for reading this long post and for your answers in advance, I really appreciate the help on this one guys. Between my SG Downloader app and my USB Gecko Code Writing I have A LOT of DLC games on this Wii and it is important to me that I do what I can to protect my $ investment while still being able to use HBC on this Wii. Thanks again. Talk to you all later. Have a good evening.

Sincerely,
Elmoreas
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login