Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Priiloader is it dangerous? Is it worth it?

Posted by elmoreas 
Re: Priiloader is it dangerous? Is it worth it?
February 17, 2010 02:25PM
elmoreas
I really am just looking for brick protection, I do not intend to use priiloader for any of its other features, I wish I could just use boot2 but my system only has bootmii as an IOS available. I do not intend to use any custom channels or themes or use any out of region games or downgrade or anything like that, however I do plan to use apps that modify the NAND.
As other users have said, priiloader is the best for brick protection if you can't have BootMii boot2 installed. Some apps that modify the NAND (Dop-IOS MOD) even have special features to do things only for Priiloader users.

elmoreas
Only in so far as they advance the app that we are working on for a savegame downloader app and I will need to install trucha bug and ES identify on IOS 70 and 249 and Save Game Manager (Mod) so that I can copy saves that have copy flag protection. I may in the future use NAND modifying apps though I do not know what that would be and hence the possible need to install priiloader now.
With luck I'll have Savegame Manager MOD done within 24 hours of posting this. ATM it will work with any IOS but it requires a huge amount of modules installed into said IOS so I'm working to see if I can cut that down to get more IOSs to work with it right off the bat. Thanks for being so patient for so long :)

elmoreas
The thing is I am not sure I am familar enough with priiloader to install it safely. Is there a step by step guide out there for installing it?
All of the information you need can be found here: [code.google.com] It is very easy to safely install it.

elmoreas
And does having IOS 36 TBR'ed or a modchip with update blocker turned to block all updates on affect the installation? I know this is not a modchip support forum and if I am out of line for asking I appologize, but I do not want to get partway into installing it and get a brick because of not asking a question I actually thought of ahead of time. I don't need support on the issue just a yes or no on if it is a problem.
Nope, not a problem. Also not against the rules either to ask this. Only asking for modchip piracy or modchip installation (with the exception of Infectus in some cases) is.

elmoreas
Those are the only real mods to this system so as long as they are not an issue I do not see priiloader installation having a problem beyond human error. And hopefully that can be avoided by proper education and research before doing the install. Lastly if I want my Wii to boot to the system menu normally is there a way to let it do so and then if it ever bricks get it to boot to homebrew so it can be fixed and if so what apps do I need to have pre-installed in homebrew to fix it?
Yup, you can make Priiloader boot directly to the system menu or directly into homebrew or even directly into something else (like BootMii IOS) if you please. Just edit the configuration file on your SD Card.

elmoreas
FYI I already have my Wii on a 120 minute battery backup with 1.5ms switch over in case power dies during an install or update and I also already own a savemii and have already made a NAND backup of my system back when it was still virgin save for HBC being installed with bootmii but that was it, no apps and no mods yet so its a clean backup. Not sure if it will do any good with bootmii as an IOS but with priiloader installed I should be able to boot to HBC and then go to bootmii and do a NAND restore in a worst case scenario, right?
BootMii IOS can not perform NAND restorations. The reason behind this is because it write over itself while it's restoring the NAND which would kill itself ending the restoration process and bricking your Wii.

Btw, don't worry about making a long post or topic. No matter what the size, everyone here including myself will do their best to help you!
February 17, 2010 02:49PM
Keith_Loving
Since you are the forum mod, the higher archy, you could have handled this better from the very start, so consider this a lessoned learned for yourself.
Hm? If you post content clearly in violation of our forum rules it is my job to remove the offending comment. I then have jurisdiction to leave a message from you on your post, send you a message via PM, or both. Nothing I did here was wrong. If you were alarmed by my edit then you will more likely remember the forum rules in the future :)

Keith_Loving
Again, I say delete all my posts in this thread or kill this thread in it's entirely, and tomorrow will be a new day.
An offer I may take you up on. Unfortunately, I feel forced to reply to remaining content of your post as it is unreasonably rude and rather incorrect.

Keith_Loving
BTW....No you made the mistake, and I was the victim.....cough...cough....glad we got that cleared up now. I'm right, you're wrong, that's all that matters nice guy.
I fail to see what logic you have here. Under my logic, you were wrong when you posted content against our forum rules which made me right to act upon it as I saw fit. I mistakenly mistyped my message but as you clearly understood what I intended to say my mistake is trivial. If you are a victim of anything, it is your own stupidity.

Keith_Loving
Look, I get the whole concept that you are doing your job here as forum moderator...the fact is, I took that warning as a personal attack on me, and then you felt attacked from my comment...so what do you do? You attack me right back....just brilliant. You could have avoided this whole pissing match if you just sent me a PM or said your warning towards me in another tone.
Absolutely nothing I did was wrong or unorthodox. I copied this editing style from our other admin marcan. As I said earlier in this post, that style of editing is perfectly acceptable and intended to alarm you so you will not forget the forum rules in the future. It is in no way a personal attack on you besides telling you, that you personally are on thin ice so to speak after sharply breaking our forum rules.

Keith_Loving
You should consider this a lessoned learned for yourself as forum mod.
The only thing this has taught me is cynicism.

Keith_Loving
The warning you gave me came from a total jerk, perhaps that is the real you, and not some nice guy you invision as yourself to be.
If I was a total jerk you would not be here right now. That is something probably every other admin except one would've done to you had I not taken action against your comment first.

Keith_Loving
It is possible to send warning messages without using the tone of a jerk. I am new here and I probably am not much different than the majority of the other users here.
Our entire forum is plastered with the 'No ripping/backing up/burning games' rule. The majority of new users notice it before posting. The small minority who don't are usually banned after their first post.

Keith_Loving
I'll be most likely to re-visit these forums on infrequent occasions. Unlike you, I don't make these forums my life, now don't take that the wrong way. People like me are a dime a dozen, they come and they go...and I won't be missed either way...but one thing stays the same here....and that is YOU. Next time, do your job, but do it in another manner/tone.
To your credit, this is the best thing you've written in this entire topic. My only rebuttal is that you read this post and prove to me how I did not do the correct thing in this situation. While you're proposed alternatives are perfectly liable ones to what I did, I've shown how what I did was a perfectly practical solution as well. No, most people do not like it but they accept it, say sorry, and move on. They certainly never break the rules ever again ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2010 02:50PM by Arikado.
February 17, 2010 02:51PM
Well that settles it I am going to do it, I am going to install priiloader. Thank you for taking the time to answer that long post Arikado. I got all the answers I needed. I will be reading up on priiloader for the nex couple days and then I will give it a go. I will let you all know how it goes. If I have any issues I will ask for help from you all too. Thanks so much all. Talk to you later.

Sincerely,
Elmoreas
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login