Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How frequently do the * GX emulators autosave?

Posted by raptir 
How frequently do the * GX emulators autosave?
April 11, 2010 01:20AM
I guess this is mostly a question for Tantric, or anyone else who's examined the source code significantly. I notice that whenever I have autosave enabled, in any of the three * GX emulators, it seems as though the autosave file is being written to constantly. Any time I go to the save or load menu, the last-written time is always right then, even if nothing has been saved in-game recently. Is it just written to every time you go to the menu? Or is it being written on a timer? Even saving every thirty seconds automatically would wear out a cheaper SD card in about 100 hours of use.

Thanks for any insight.
Re: How frequently do the * GX emulators autosave?
April 11, 2010 01:46AM
I think (think) that the "autosave" is called when you pull up the menu. That would explain the time.
April 11, 2010 02:50AM
That would make sense, so that you don't accidentally load an old save when you just want to go back to your latest save, but I don't really want to risk that kind of wear-and-tear to my SD cards without some confirmation...
April 11, 2010 03:19AM
All the autosave code that I've been able to find was in the "menu" files (as in: only called when the menu pops up).
April 11, 2010 04:50PM
But doesn't it also autosave if you turn the Wii off while it's running?
April 11, 2010 06:06PM
Whenever you leave the game (back to menu or shutdown the Wii). If you do this a half million times or so you might wear out your SD card.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login