Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wii Web Server does NOT work with latest version of HBC or DVDX installed. Need help!

Posted by Videogamer 
I just connected up my wii and upon starting HBC it said an update is available (my wii was online so it could tell). I updated it and it also asked if I wanted to install DVD, and I allowed it, thinking it would let me to backup LEGALLY my OWN game disks to a computer via FTPii server I'd just installed, as disk images, as well as play copies of these backups I'd burned to disk (though I wasn't quite sure if it did that or was just a DVD video player to watch movie DVDs on or what). But it didn't and I can't figure out how to make it work. On Top of that a many of my HBC bootable softwares will NOT work now. Among these is Wii Web Server. And 90% of my other homebrew software won't either. The ONLY ones that will are Tyrian, FTPii, and Duck Hunt (and maybe 1 or 2 others). The rest pop up an error with something to the effect of "not a Wii game". Is it possible to uninstall DVDX and/or downgrade HBC (or even uninstall and reinstall HBC)? I just want to have all my homebrew software, especially Wii Web Server, working again. Please help me.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2010 09:53AM by Videogamer.
Re: Wii Web Server does NOT work with latest version of HBC or DVDX installed. Need help!
June 11, 2010 04:30PM
DVDX is merely a title that allows homebrew software to use the Wii's DVD drive to launch DVD discs not signed by Nintendo (ie: Movies). It does nothing for "backups".

Before going on, I'd like to take a moment to stress that "backups" of all kinds, legal or not, are not to be discussed on this forum. This is stressed everywhere on the forum. There's no way you could have even posted this topic without clicking a check box agreeing not to talk about them.

Now I have to assume that the version of the HBC you were using before you updated was an extremely old version. I assume this because more recent versions of the HBC have imposed new standards on launching executables (.elf and .dol files) making some executables unable (or invalid) to be launched. To fix this error, all you have to do is update to the latest version of the non-working software.
Arikado
DVDX is merely a title that allows homebrew software to use the Wii's DVD drive to launch DVD discs not signed by Nintendo (ie: Movies). It does nothing for "backups".

Before going on, I'd like to take a moment to stress that "backups" of all kinds, legal or not, are not to be discussed on this forum. This is stressed everywhere on the forum. There's no way you could have even posted this topic without clicking a check box agreeing not to talk about them.

Now I have to assume that the version of the HBC you were using before you updated was an extremely old version. I assume this because more recent versions of the HBC have imposed new standards on launching executables (.elf and .dol files) making some executables unable (or invalid) to be launched. To fix this error, all you have to do is update to the latest version of the non-working software.

I did read the rules but unfortunately because I needed help on programs mysteriously becoming useless, the most important thing to do when getting technical support is provide ALL the info on your setup to the tech support people. Unfortunately that meant mentioning (ONLY IN PASSING though) something that the admin considered "shady", and I couldn't see any way of avoiding that brief mention of it if I was to provide a full info on my setup. Sorry about that.

And thanks for the info. Looks like I'll have to start looking for new Wii homebrew replacements :(
As for Wii Web Server in particular. Is there even a version that will work on the current HBC?
Re: Wii Web Server does NOT work with latest version of HBC or DVDX installed. Need help!
June 12, 2010 12:41PM
download the latest versions of everything and check.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login