Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

WiiMC DVD playback

Posted by Iwatasan 
WiiMC DVD playback
June 30, 2010 09:37AM
I got WiiMC because I was impressed by Tantric's FCE Ultra, Snes9xGX, and VBA GX apps. WiiMC is just as user friendly with just as good of a settings menu and GUI. The online media player is really cool. I haven't messed around with the video player or music player yet but I'm sure they're cool too. The picture viewer doesn't really compare to the Photo Channel though (not a really big deal). And (more importantly) the DVD player is downright awful. Is it because it uses IOS202 instead of DVDX? Because MPlayer plays my DVDs flawlessly (it just doesn't have very good controls or even DVD menu support).

If flawless DVD playback on Wii is already here (MPlayer with DVDX), and DVD menu functionality is already here too (WiiMC with IOS202), is there any reason why we can't get both in the same app? Overall I think I like WiiMC better for its style and ease of use, but without useful DVD playback I just don't really need it.
Re: WiiMC DVD playback
June 30, 2010 11:25PM
So are you saying WiMC does not play DVD's at all for you? Does this work for anyone?
July 06, 2010 10:03PM
I am saying that DVDs will "play," but because of the awful playback, I would never sit through an entire movie. Imagine watching a movie where either the audio sounds like a robot in 100x slo-mo, or the audio sounds normal but is completely out of sync with the video. It is painful to watch. I would certainly never invite my friends over to watch a movie on it. I am also interested to find out if anyone else has had more success with this application than I have. Thanks.
July 07, 2010 10:26AM
I have this problem as well. I couldn't get MPlayer CE working, but I used the TBR and WiiMC's IOS202 installer to get DVD playback on my 4.2U Wii. It works perfectly, but during intense parts of the video, the frame rate will drop while the audio keeps going. I don't have any robot or slomo audio issues, and whenever the audio gets out of sync WiiMC will gradually put it back in time with the video, but it's still annoying. I'd like to know if this problem is normal with IOS202 or if Iwatasan and I have a bug to fix, because I'd rather go through a bunch of code than have to constantly switch the RCA connections on my TV between my Wii and DVD player.

Edit: I found a very great workaround for now. In the settings under Video, I set Frame-Dropping from Disabled to Auto, and I set the cache fill from 30% to 70%. The frame rate still isn't perfect on the intense scenes, and the audio still cuts out in between chapters, but now the audio never gets out of sync or changes into a robot voice (an issue that it turns out I DID have), and now I'd have to call it one of the best DVD players I've seen except for the audio cutting out between chapters.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2010 08:05PM by Cadeyrn.
July 20, 2010 11:27PM
How did you get it to work on DVD playback? I still cannot get the WiiMC working on my 4.2U modded one. I keep getting the DVD msg: "Error Invalid DVD"
I installed the IOS202 as I have seen on some forums say...

Cadeyrn
I have this problem as well. I couldn't get MPlayer CE working, but I used the TBR and WiiMC's IOS202 installer to get DVD playback on my 4.2U Wii. It works perfectly, but during intense parts of the video, the frame rate will drop while the audio keeps going. I don't have any robot or slomo audio issues, and whenever the audio gets out of sync WiiMC will gradually put it back in time with the video, but it's still annoying. I'd like to know if this problem is normal with IOS202 or if Iwatasan and I have a bug to fix, because I'd rather go through a bunch of code than have to constantly switch the RCA connections on my TV between my Wii and DVD player.

Edit: I found a very great workaround for now. In the settings under Video, I set Frame-Dropping from Disabled to Auto, and I set the cache fill from 30% to 70%. The frame rate still isn't perfect on the intense scenes, and the audio still cuts out in between chapters, but now the audio never gets out of sync or changes into a robot voice (an issue that it turns out I DID have), and now I'd have to call it one of the best DVD players I've seen except for the audio cutting out between chapters.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2010 11:27PM by pilothaz.
July 20, 2010 11:46PM
I don't think mine will work. As i just checked the site here and it says I have a 50% chance it is no dvd chip and another 50% chance it is no dvd chip lol..

* There is a 50% chance the chipset is Combined GC2-D3 with no drive chip.
* And there is also a 50% chance the chipset is GC2-D3-2 (v2) with no drive chip.

July 21, 2010 09:17PM
Well, what happened to me was I installed the Homebrew Browser on my Wii with Bannerbomb, and beyond that I couldn't use many apps without installing all those cIOSes. Sadly, there seemed to be zero tutorials, howtos, or at least definitions of what the hell I was supposed to be doing. I didn't know at first why they wouldn't install until I found out about the Trucha Bug Restorer. But it didn't work because it seems to be incompatible with 4.2U. So, my tip is use the "[fail]" for the Wii combined with certain IOS files to restore the Trucha Bug, remove the IOS stubs, and then reinstall the newest version of the WiiMC IOS202. You can get those certain files by e-mailing [uh, no] and the files will be in the reply you'll get. Just extract the contents of the zip into the root of your SD card, and that will also install the [fail] If that doesn't work, then I'd have to say that either your Wii hates you or it's a recently-bought-new Wii with those new currently un-crackable disc drives, but I'm no expert.

And if you're using a modchip, which I think you are by your reply, then I have no idea what you should do. I suggest disregarding the modchip and going through the process I explained, because thanks to HBC and the [fail] being so reliable, modchips are a complete waste of money. In fact you probably got ripped off by whoever convinced you to buy one. Hell, I've gotten everything working. I've [got fail], I have flawless video playback on WiiMC (except the FLVs have an awful framerate and DVD menus lag and DVD chapters cut out in the beginning), and pretty much everything else a hacked Wii can do, and I never purchased or installed a modchip.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2010 10:25PM by SifJar.
July 21, 2010 10:28PM
Cadeyrn: This isn't GBAFail, we don't allow auto-reply emails for distributing illegal content.

Don't mention the crappy tool I edited out of your post either.

And finally, your statement:

and beyond that I couldn't use many apps without installing all those cIOSes

tells me the "apps" you wanted to run are warez apps (sorry, "backup loaders"), which if you'd taken two seconds to scan the front page of the forum, you'd have realised are against the rules here. As in fact are the cIOS used by them.
July 21, 2010 10:52PM
Sorry SifJar, I should have read the rules (idiot), but I'd like to mention this guy needs help, and the auto-reply e-mail is not even mine. I got it from a guy who wrote the guide. It contains no illegal items; all it contains is things that one needs to hack a Wii. The cIOSes are needed for playing backup copies of your games in case they break, for watching certain movies, and for playing DVDs, and there is nothing wrong with them. In fact, I might be confusing them with something else, but last time I checked it isn't even illegal. It voids your warranty but it is not illegal. In fact, I've noticed that even though these IOS202 installers use a custom IOS or cIOS, you only get mad when I put the letter "c" in front. Watch: IOS202--nobody's mad. IOS36 merged with 60 installed into a cIOS 202 (what it really is)--OH NO I'M IN TROUBLE!

The fact is, nothing mentioned here is illegal or wrong unless pilothaz plans to download cracked games and play them, but this discussion is about WiiMC and DVD playback, not games. MMM isn't the best tool, as it's just a compilation of tools you can easily find, and it is a little glitchy, but I recommended it to pilot because my Wii, which is also 4.2U, refused to work with ANYTHING that wasn't MMM. The Trucha Bug Restorer didn't work, and nothing else worked. I Googled any errors I got, and I Googled for help, and I found nothing that worked besides it. I'm sorry if you don't like MMM because some believe it glitchily (haha fake word) meshes together older versions of things other people made, but I had no choice because nobody else was willing to help the 4.2U users, and pilothaz needs help if you would like to stop interfering.

And don't call it GBAFail. If "GBAFail" didn't exist, I wouldn't be able to find ANY programs for the Wii besides HBC itself. I'd still be pulling my hair out trying to get this shit working, because nobody else seems to care about people new to the Wii-brewing scene. It seems the only way into the underground Wii-brew scene besides "GBAFail" is finding somebody who is already in it (impossible) and begging them to help you out and show you how to do it all (embarrassing, noobish, and very hard). That's right, I turned to you guys before I knew "GBAFail" existed, and as soon as I mentioned I was trying to install WiiMC's IOS202, I was kicked from the IRC channel because OMG cIOS IS ILLEGAL HAXORZ, and I was banned when I persisted. Damnit man, HBC voids your warranty already, so why be so stuck-up about the cIOSes? Ban me for helping if you want, but the rules of these forums were obviously made by stuck-up assholes who do not tolerate anything related to Wii-hacking that wasn't made by them, regardless of how helpful it is. Damn nazis.

P.S. The "apps" I wanted were WiiMC and the Homebrew Browser. That's it. The entire reason I hacked my Wii was to play DVDs, and that is all I'm trying to help pilothaz do. If that's so wrong, then I don't wanna be right.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2010 10:57PM by Cadeyrn.
July 21, 2010 11:27PM
That zip contains illegal copyrighted Nintendo code (IOS WADs).

IOS202 (aka the WiiMC cIOS) is perfectly supported here. All other cIOS (usable for backups) are not. And that guide installs a LOT of them, completely unnecessary for WiiMC or Homebrew Browser.

WiiMC and Homebrew Browser can EASILY be found on Wiibrew so if this statement is true:

The "apps" I wanted were WiiMC and the Homebrew Browser. That's it.

this one clearly is not:

If "GBAFail" didn't exist, I wouldn't be able to find ANY programs for the Wii besides HBC itself.

And

but I had no choice because nobody else was willing to help the 4.2U users

Plenty of people were willing to help, e.g. every single user of this forum.

which is also 4.2U, refused to work with ANYTHING that wasn't MMM. The Trucha Bug Restorer didn't work, and nothing else worked.

TBR worked again on 4.2 before that tool did FYI. And works fine on 4.2 still. As does dop-Mii. And they also work on 4.3. (And before you say it, the other tool was only updated when there was a working method using TBR)

It seems the only way into the underground Wii-brew scene besides "GBAFail" is finding somebody who is already in it (impossible) and begging them to help you out and show you how to do it all (embarrassing, noobish, and very hard).

Uh, no. I have never followed any sort of guide from GBAFail, and I know how to do most things I'd want to with my Wii. It's this magical thing called reading.

Ban me for helping if you want, but the rules of these forums were obviously made by stuck-up assholes who do not tolerate anything related to Wii-hacking that wasn't made by them, regardless of how helpful it is.

No. Just no. There are MANY devs who contribute apps and games, and the rules were made by a group of three or four. The only stuff not supported is stuff related to warez or other illegal activity.

if you would like to stop interfering

May I remind you you are talking to a moderator here?

BTW, its not just me that has a problem with your post. It was also reported by another user via the "Report" button at the bottom of your post.

Anyway, I've wasted enough time explaining myself to you.
July 22, 2010 02:29AM
SifJar
That zip contains illegal copyrighted Nintendo code (IOS WADs).

IOS202 (aka the WiiMC cIOS) is perfectly supported here. All other cIOS (usable for backups) are not. And that guide installs a LOT of them, completely unnecessary for WiiMC or Homebrew Browser.

Any cIOS at all cannot be installed without the trucha bug being restored, which can only be done with the Trucha Bug Restorer or the "fail" program I mentioned. Deny it if you want, but Trucha Bug Restorer did not work on 4.2U a week or so ago when I tried it. If it works now, I apologize because that would mean mentioning the "fail" program would've been completely unnecessary.

WiiMC and Homebrew Browser can EASILY be found on Wiibrew so if this statement is true:

The "apps" I wanted were WiiMC and the Homebrew Browser. That's it.

this one clearly is not:

Sorry, I meant, "the apps I wanted were WiiMC and the HBC and I also wanted a way to get the WiiMC IOS202 installed on 4.2U," and that is not here (unless the TBR works on 4.2U now of course).

Plenty of people were willing to help, e.g. every single user of this forum.

Well, you know when I'm up at midnight to 2AM looking for a quick fix to get this over with, I don't see a forum post as a quick solution. I did turn to your IRC, and as I said before, whoever was moderating the channel (don't remember a name) kicked me when I mentioned the IOS202.

TBR worked again on 4.2 before that tool did FYI. And works fine on 4.2 still. As does dop-Mii. And they also work on 4.3. (And before you say it, the other tool was only updated when there was a working method using TBR)

Whatever you say, all I know is my average 2007-bought 4.2U Wii with NOTHING on it besides things downloaded from the Wii Shop Channel, save game files, and the Homebrew Channel, gave me errror messages on the TBR that meant the trucha bug was already there, but it was not, because every cIOS installer on the net said the trucha bug wasn't there, and the "fail" program managed to implement it just fine, meaning it wasn't there originally. If that's not an incompatibility then I don't know what is.

Uh, no. I have never followed any sort of guide from GBAFail, and I know how to do most things I'd want to with my Wii. It's this magical thing called reading.

Hey man, all I know is after your IRC channel refused to help me, and after hours of Google-searching, the only guide I could find that worked on my Wii used the "fail" program. And yes, I did read all over your Wiki (great WIki BTW).

No. Just no. There are MANY devs who contribute apps and games, and the rules were made by a group of three or four. The only stuff not supported is stuff related to warez or other illegal activity.

Alright, so you're not so stuck-up, but it's a bit nazi-esque to completely disregard all things related to warez when those same things are also needed for legal and helpful things, such as playing DVDs. Is it your business if somebody uses your information for Warez? No. Should you care? No. Are they gonna find it whether you provide it or not? Well, I didn't use it, but I did find it anyway. Totally disregarding, ignoring, and even being intolerable to, the cIOS just because one of its many uses is illegal is a wrong, fear-based setup.
July 22, 2010 05:15AM
All I can do is laugh at this stuff in here posted. Couldn't get anything to install to play dvd's. Come on, when I got my wii on a trade it had fail in it, me not knowing being new found this forum and after lots of reading and help here from the guys, I got dvd playback with mplayer ce, and when I had updated to 4.2 and had problems the guys again here helped me out and got back working again. So just to show you don't have to have those what I like to call risky fake guides, and anything on youtube makes no sense to me, but the guides form here with people helping make sense. If you had to have fail and google guides to get what you wanted then there had to be something wrong, if you could have waited and posted here it could have been done right and been up and going with no problems.
July 22, 2010 10:52AM
fyi, tbr has worked on 4.2 since a week at most after its release. either your wii is on 4.3 or you did it wrong. there is no error message meaning you already have the bug, it will work fine with bugged ios.
July 23, 2010 11:08PM
Cadeyrn:
I'm not sure what fail tool you're talking about...maybe a cIOS installer? You don't need that for the TBR. SifJar's point is the only thing you NEED a cIOS installer for is to play pirated games, which is illegal, which if openly discussed on this forum can get the site owners in legal trouble. That's not a nazi rule, that's common, cover-our-asses forum EULA. Now, if the cIOS is one way to get done what you wanted done, it's not the only way. There are other (better, even), ways to get done what you wanted done without installing pirated game functionality on your console.

To install TBR (yes, on 4.2):
DOP-Mii. Also useful in conjunction with Priiloader to restore a bricked System Menu.

As far as nobody being willing to help, well...I think every response to your posts have been helpful so far, and the wiibrew wiki in particular is loaded with information. I started reading about HBC and then some of the other applications linked to from that page and after a couple days worth of research I figured out a lot of cool things I could do with my Wii, but also the safe and legal ways to do it all. Try that out. Seriously, after a few days I knew enough to start writing my own guide to help other people...but before I was done I found this site and well, it's pretty comprehensive...

[link removed]

If you're so short on time, just look at that guide. They have step by step instructions on how to set up HBC and everything.

Now can we please get back to talking about WiiMC? Any further discussion of cIOS or the (un)helpfulness of the community should probably be saved for PM or e-mail.

I tried the settings you suggested for WiiMC (framedrop auto and 70% cache) and it didn't help the audio problem at all for me. I think the video got a little less glitchy, but overall the movie was still not nearly watchable. I'd like to hear Tantric weigh in on this, but I know he or she is a very busy person.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2010 01:03PM by SifJar.
July 24, 2010 12:19AM
DVDs work just great for me. There is one DVD I had where the audio played at an incredibly slow speed and the video was slow too. To fix that, I pressed pad down to switch the audio stream a few times, and cycled back to the main one. That mysteriously fixed it...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2010 12:21AM by Tantric.
July 24, 2010 07:16AM
I have got to get the IOS 202 installer figured out to try on mine, but did find a dvd that wouldn't play in mplayer ce, 2012 wouldn't play at all, it would go to mount dvd then stop spinning, but War Of The Worlds would play. I wonder if it was something with the dvd or something.
July 24, 2010 01:04PM
dirtrider73068Iwatasan: While that site is pretty in-depth on a lot of topics, it covers many topics that are against the rules here, so please don't link it here. And the fail tool he was talking about wasn't a cIOS installer FYI.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2010 12:08AM by SifJar.
July 24, 2010 10:15PM
I didn't get to see the site before it was removed, but after time of being here and what I have learned, I would have figured it out as fail and would have left it alone. I would rather look on the wiki or read something from bushing and here before looking at a fail site. I have tried google and youtube searches and to much surprise only confused myself even more and felt like if I tried those it would make my wii worse off.
July 24, 2010 10:27PM
I think you mean
SifJar
Iwatasan: While that site is pretty in-depth on a lot of topics, it covers many topics that are against the rules here, so please don't link it here. And the fail tool he was talking about wasn't a cIOS installer FYI.
July 25, 2010 12:08AM
Oops, yeah. My bad.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login