Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

WiiMC Audio Desync

Posted by OneUp 
WiiMC Audio Desync
August 25, 2010 08:52AM
I am not sure what is causing this, but I recently transfered some movies to my hdd to play through WiiMC. Before this I had been accessing them as a network share. Anyhow, the audio is desyncing, as bad as 5 seconds off in some cases. I played the media on my computer from the external, and it runs fine with no desynchronization.
Re: WiiMC Audio Desync
August 25, 2010 04:26PM
This is not due to the transfer speed, but to the Wii's hardware limitations (yeah, sadly).

Processing the video takes a lot of horsepower, so it lags a behind the audio. To confirm what I'm saying, try this:

Go to Video Settings and set Frameskipping to ALWAYS.

You will the that now the audio and video sync, but the video looks pixelated and not fluid.

I'm really hoping that the guys will be able to get a workaround for this without sacrificing video/audio quality. They probably just need to improve the performance on the processing, but this is not trivial to do and might take a while, if ever done.

Maybe Tantric can give us a word on this :)
August 25, 2010 06:47PM
I was afraid it would come down to hardware limitations. I had hoped it had something to do with using IOS58, but I guess not. So far the frame dropping has made it freeze on a frame, then skip to another frame and freeze for several seconds.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2010 06:50PM by OneUp.
August 25, 2010 06:48PM
In older versions of the proggy, You could change the audio for such problems, unfortunately I haven't seen that option in any builds lately.
August 25, 2010 06:53PM
OneUp
So far the frame dropping has made it freeze on a frame, then skip to another frame and freeze for several seconds.

That happens to me only if I set the frame dropping to AUTO. If I set it to ALWAYS I get the behavior I described before.
August 25, 2010 11:38PM
Well, it is doing it with it set to always as well...
August 26, 2010 06:25AM
Axel
OneUp
So far the frame dropping has made it freeze on a frame, then skip to another frame and freeze for several seconds.

That happens to me only if I set the frame dropping to AUTO. If I set it to ALWAYS I get the behavior I described before.

To me, it happens the other way around. Setting to ALWAYS makes the Wii go unresponsive (audio still plays), while AUTO makes it hang on a frame for several seconds.
May I suggest converting your movies to a more compatible format? Or you could always stream those movies from your computer with VLC, converting them on the fly (I haven't tried this yet, but it sounds real promising if you don't have the patience of painful and slowly converting your movies).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login