Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Channels

Posted by HelpMiii 
Channels
September 12, 2010 11:29PM
say you want a channel for any of the sort like game cube, ps1, game boy advance or such forth, once you download the file and have it on your wii channel do you still have to the launcher on your sd card or will the channel act as launcher?
Re: Channels
September 12, 2010 11:36PM
It depends on the type of channel you installed. In most cases though, yes.
September 12, 2010 11:42PM
wait so for example for a ps1 channel. i download it and install it. but i would still have to have the emulator on my sd card?
September 12, 2010 11:44PM
Correct, that's what a forwarder does. This also reduces space used on the Wii limited NAND storage.
September 12, 2010 11:51PM
kk how about the gamecube launcher tho. i would also need to have the launcher on the card?
September 12, 2010 11:53PM
could you also send a link to the latest ps1 channel please? thank you
September 12, 2010 11:56PM
If you don't want to install a forwarder and actually want to install a full blown channel on the Wii, it can be done, but would require the use of a WAD, which is not supported here (too easy to brick with them, see: "Banner Brick").

I would think a forwarder would be your best bet.

Edit: WiiSX on Wiibrew

Can't help you with finding a channel forwarder though...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2010 12:00AM by Kage52124.
September 13, 2010 12:00AM
hmm i think i wanna install the full blown channel. you kno where i can do that or get a tuitorial on that?
September 13, 2010 12:29AM
HelpMiii
kk how about the gamecube launcher tho. i would also need to have the launcher on the card?

Backup launchers are NOT supported here. Back to the topic at hand... it'd be best to install forwarders instead of full channels, ESPECIALLY with the constantly updated nature of several of these emulators. Would you actually be willing to constantly be reinstalling full channels everytime a new update is made available?

Regarding a WiiSX channel forwarder... there are several available, but they aren't exactly compatible with the most recent versions of the emulator. It has something to do with the way they were coded (can't recall exactly what the issue was). Unless you were to use the pretty much obsolete old version of this emulator, any WiiSX forwarder you choose to use will give you an error and kick you back to the sys menu.
September 13, 2010 11:01PM
wiisx and wii64 need official forwarders. That being said, where in God's name is the Snes9xGx channel?
September 15, 2010 10:10PM
Rocker91
wiisx and wii64 need official forwarders. That being said, where in God's name is the Snes9xGx channel?

There is no "official" SNES9x channel forwarder available yet. Despite there being an official VBAgx and FCEUgx ones up for download already, Tantric has stated that the people working on the official one have not reported back to him, and he frankly knows not when will it be releaed (even IF it gets released at all).

In the mean time, you can look elsewhere on the net. Of course, most (if not all) of the alternative channel forwarders available are in WAD format, meaning that you'll have to look for a way to install wads and such (sorry, but I can't tell you how... you're on your own there).

There are, however, dangers to installing channel forwarders with WAD format, like bannerbricking. It is STRONGLY advised you take the proper protective steps before attempting to install forwarders. Install bootmii (even if it is as an IOS), make a NAND backup and then proceed to install Priiloader (in that order).

If you're looking for a nice SNES9x forwarder, google "Close2insanity snes9x forwarder". You can also see it in action in youtube if you want a nice preview first. I'm personally satisfied with this one (since the other forwarders seem overly simplistic and/or not working at all), though it is kinda on the slow side, loading the emulator and all.

I hope I helped.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2010 10:13PM by Magil.
September 16, 2010 04:15AM
Magil
There are, however, dangers to installing channel forwarders with WAD format, like bannerbricking. It is STRONGLY advised you take the proper protective steps before attempting to install forwarders. Install bootmii (even if it is as an IOS), make a NAND backup and then proceed to install Priiloader (in that order).

Bootmii/IOS is completely useless for recovering from a banner brick (and essentially all other bricks, for the matter). A NAND backup is also unnecessary (though still highly recommended, at least if you have Bootmii/boot2). To ensure proper safety, you only need either Bootmii/boot2 or Priiloader. Nothing else is necessary, and nothing else would allow recovery from a banner brick.
September 16, 2010 11:29PM
Thanks Magil I'll check that out and I know how to get wads so I'm all set :D
September 18, 2010 02:57AM
Is there any info about creating forwarders? It's it CustomizeMii? It deals with "wads", "bricking" and other bad things.

Since everyone is putting in their requests, I'd love a Wii 2600 channel forwarder (my most used emulator). I found 1 or 2 Wii 2600 channels elsewhere, but I think they're a bit suspect.

Any takers? Or should I learn to do it myself (I'm all set with a Bootmii NAND backup.)
September 18, 2010 09:18PM
This wasn't supposed to be a request thread originally, but... oh well...

You can create forwarders with CustomizeMii using other preexisting channels as base. I personally don't know how to use it, because I sincerely feel to lazy to learn how to (and I have no real need to create any forwarder, since the ones I need already exist). There are a variety of tutorials out there where you can learn how to use it. My suggestion would be to read, read, read, then read some more, and then when you're absolutely sure you know what you're doing, venture on and start creating your own forwarders.

You're not exactly "all set" with only a NAND backup. If you don't have bootmii installed as boot2, but rather as an IOS, proceeding "as is" will most likely lead you down a path to an irrecoverable bannerbrick. If you're gonna go installing custom channels, you should also install Priiloader. Should you're Wii suffer from the unmentionable, you'd at least have a way to recover from a bannerbrick.

I don't use Atari 2600, but I'll try to find you some channels in a while if you're interested. I'm not making any kind of promises, so don't get your hopes up.
September 19, 2010 12:13AM
Use Forwarder Creater to create a forwarder DOL to the desired application's executable (.dol or .elf file). Then use CustomizeMii to create the channel, using the forwarder you just created as the .dol file for the channel.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2010 12:14AM by jbc007.
September 19, 2010 05:08AM
I got the channel Magil, it works great :) now I'm gonna look for a wii64 forwarder...stay tuned.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login