Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

DVD Movies on Wii!

Posted by Link_of_Hyrule 
Re: DVD Movies on Wii!
August 24, 2008 06:38AM
What are you talking about? didn't you read the first post? MPlayer plays DVDs...
August 24, 2008 07:09AM
But it requires DIVx crap. I want a STRAIGHT OUT DVD player for the Wii (like Xbox Media Center on the Xbox).
August 24, 2008 07:48AM
It doesn't require "DIVx" it require "DVDx" which is completely different its a library that enabled the Wii to read DVDs in homebrew with out a modchip. I've found it works perfectly fine with most DVDs. Its not possible to play DVDs on the Wii in any application with out it. Think of DVDx as a sort of driver that enables code already on the Wii to activates a DVDVideo mode that the Tweazer team found.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2008 07:51AM by Link_of_Hyrule.
August 24, 2008 03:24PM
Videogamer: please start reading kthx
August 24, 2008 11:01PM
Link_of_Hyrule
It doesn't require "DIVx" it require "DVDx" which is completely different its a library that enabled the Wii to read DVDs in homebrew with out a modchip. I've found it works perfectly fine with most DVDs. Its not possible to play DVDs on the Wii in any application with out it. Think of DVDx as a sort of driver that enables code already on the Wii to activates a DVDVideo mode that the Tweazer team found.

Then why not build DVDx directly into a DVD player software?
August 24, 2008 11:59PM
I have been messing around with mplayer (dvdlib edition) and I found a few problems.

- Setting the language or subtitles in the dvd's menu does not work
- every dvd menu option shows a white transparent box, I think this box is used for a mouse on a computer
- when you are playing the movie and you try to go to the menu, the video locks up and does nothing, the movie still works.
- On all titles I have played the audio volume is too soft. I would like the option to have the audio amplified in the menu.
- in the audio options where it has the audio at 90% on defult, any changes will not be saved.
- Superman doomsday (widscreen): There is no audio for the documentary
- the audio does get out of sync at times

I do have a few suggestions

-Is it possible to use the wiimote pointer for the dvd menus. It would be just like using a mouse to click on the menu options when you are using a PC to watch the movie.

-Currently the progran menu shows " Play title #1, Play title #2, etc." Could the program search the dvd for whats avalible so that if there is no Title #4 it won't show up on the system menu.

-I would like the dvd version of mplayer to be combined with the official version of mplayer. I don't like the idea of having multiple versions of mplayer on my wii.

- I say combine the dvdstub installer with the next version of mplayer.

----------

I say this is version of mplayer is a great start, but I think it still needs some polish. Since its out I think the best thing team twizzers can do is bring more people on development of the dvdlib mplayer.

Keep kicking ass team twizzers.
August 25, 2008 01:41AM
Videogamer
Link_of_Hyrule

Then why not build DVDx directly into a DVD player software?

see

The only way of enabling DVD mode without hacking IOS is by turning on a specific flag in the channel that marks it as “the DVD player channel”. There is no other way of invoking this functionality - for example, it can’t be done via discs, because it only enables DVD mode if it’s an actual installed channel with the flag.

libdi is the programming library that developers use to access the DVD mode. This is built into any program that uses it (like mplayer) so you only need it if you’re compiling a program that uses it. DVDX is a small hidden stub channel that libdi needs to function. It is a separate install and you need to run it to be able to use libdi.

DVDX is just a channel that calls itself "the DVD channel" that tricks the Wii into reading DVDs. (with a X at the end to make it sound cool :P) Beside combining it with the Homebrew channel, that not everyone has or wants, or installing a hacked IOS, that many time lager than the stub, there's no way around it....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2008 01:42AM by stevey.
August 25, 2008 05:48AM
you can uninstall DVD Lib by running the installer again right?

EDIT: Oh and (seeing as I've already downloaded it) if I do an uninstall it will remove all traces, or at least anything that could mess with future updates. Finally, could a future update cause the wii to be bricked because of this software?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2008 08:47AM by Chintendo.
August 25, 2008 09:55AM
Watched the first Indiana Jones on there. =]
August 25, 2008 06:04PM
Its very unlikely a future update will cause your wii to brick because of it.
August 26, 2008 05:05AM
Well I guess if I have to get DVDx then I will. But where do I download it from? Anybody have links?
August 26, 2008 05:29AM
Videogamer
Well I guess if I have to get DVDx then I will. But where do I download it from? Anybody have links?
I think might have been a link or two in the first post of this topic. Not completely sure though. You should check.
August 26, 2008 09:04AM
Link_of_Hyrule
Its very unlikely a future update will cause your wii to brick because of it.

I think the worst a system update would do is delete the dvdx file and prevent it from being installed again. Just like the last system update did to the zelda hack. There is no way a system update would brick your system, unless you altered the firmware.
August 27, 2008 01:33AM
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (works)
August 27, 2008 06:23AM
are all the dvds widescreen with this? I watched the covenant on it and the whole movie was widescreeen, while on my brothers tv with his xbox it was only widescreen for the intro, then it was fullscreen.
August 27, 2008 07:42PM
Chintendo
are all the dvds widescreen with this? I watched the covenant on it and the whole movie was widescreeen, while on my brothers tv with his xbox it was only widescreen for the intro, then it was fullscreen.

It all depends on the movie and whether you have the Wii settings set to 4:3 or 16:9. Widescreen movies will fill the screen on the 16:9 setting or letterbox on 4:3. Fullscreen movies will pillarbox on 16:9 or fill the screen on 4:3.
August 31, 2008 06:46AM
I have a widescreen 37 lcd hdtv. If you have your tv and wii set properly then all dvd will be displayed right on the screen. I have tested this with several dvd's, some fullscreen and some widescreen. From what I have seen every movie will fill the screen as big as it can without any stretching or cropping.
September 01, 2008 07:37PM
DBZ Season 1 and 3 both work. This is truly awesome.
September 04, 2008 01:25AM
I am Legend, works.
I know that one was mentioned before. But I don't know if that one was region 2... if that makes any differnce.
September 07, 2008 04:31AM
So far 99% of dvd's I have tried from many different movie companies have worked using sans-menu mode. I haven't bothered trying anything with the menu yet largely do to the fact that playback performance does take a substantial hit.

I'm just curious though if the underscan visible is due to the mplayer core or the hacks required to get it running on the Wii? Either way, anyone here who's actively working on this mind putting in an overscan correction feature?

Also, is it possible to get this to do a 1:1 resolution mapping so the 720x480/720x576 of the dvd video fills the wii's interlaced/progressive 720x480/720x576 output? The current setup pales slightly in quality to a set-top player due to this small concern.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login