Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Genesis GX Plus 1.4.0... and it's initial quirks

Posted by Magil 
Re: Genesis GX Plus 1.4.0... and it's initial quirks
November 09, 2010 09:38AM
I don't know this kind of controller: is it a game cube arcade sticks or a wii expansion controller ?
First thing i would do is checking in the controller settings menu if it is detected by the emulator, if it is affected to the player input and if it is, try to reassign keys to test available buttons.
In the case you didn't already knew it, you need to configure the inputs if you want to affect a specific controller to a specific player (the emulator will always choose wiimotes first if it finds ones). Game cube controller will be affected to the remaining players.

If changing the config does not work, there is nothing "we" can do to fix controller compatibility issue, as this is handled by the low-level library, aka libogc. If it worked in previous versions (which are compiled with an older libogc), it's probably because something changed in this library that broke compatibility with this controller.

Is it only the analog stick that does not work ? I know for example that classic controller PRO analog sticks are currently not working properly, so it might be the same problem. Best way to fix this is to send one of these sticks to the people working on libogc... or send them money to buy one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2010 11:06AM by ekeeke.
November 09, 2010 04:10PM
They are arcade sticks, so that means the Hori and Madcatz ones which connect to the wiimote. The reason the sticks are not working is because somehow the menus from the snes, GBA, nes, and now the Genesis emulators stop the stick from being compatible. The simple menus from the SMS and Hugo GX emulators somehow allow the joystick to work just fine. For some reason the new menu affects in game play as well. Just a heads up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2010 04:12PM by jlenoconel.
November 09, 2010 04:47PM
Did you understood what I wrote ?

The menus have NOTHING to do with that, nunchuk and classic controller (left) analog sticks still work fine in the new menu. If you are still not convinced, play a game with the controller and verify analog sticks don't work either in game mode.

I repeat, it's the library homebrew apps are using to access wii controllers that is not compatible anymore with unofficial controller's analog sticks.
November 09, 2010 05:17PM
So will it make a difference if I try the old version of the emulator. I'm convinced it is the menu. The controller DOES work, but it won't go up, it goes down by itself, almost like its in a permanent down position. Its doesn't do this in normal games or with the other emulators I mentioned. Borrow a Hori stick yourself and try, you will see the problem then.
November 09, 2010 06:18PM
I don't need to borrow anything. I say to you the problem is with the library that handles controller support in homebrew.
Normal games use official Nintendo library which off course has no such issues since they basically designed the system.
Other emulators you mentioned were released 2 years ago and obviously use an older version of libogc.
I was actually saying to you to play a game in this emulator and see yourself the sticks are still screwed, even outside the menu.

And I don't try to "convince" you, I'm actually explaining to you how these things work because I coded them and I know better than you do what can cause such issue.

As you have (finally) added some details to your initial report, I can see this is a calibration issue. Most likely, the data read from analog sticks is not handled correctly in the wiimote library.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2010 06:18PM by ekeeke.
November 09, 2010 09:18PM
So can anything be done?

Do you mean the old version of the Genesis emulator? I just tried it and it works fine.

Anyway, if it is the new library being used then surely it can be fixed. Was there a reason for a loss of compatibility?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2010 10:26PM by jlenoconel.
November 11, 2010 11:44PM
I asked the libogc people about the arcade controllers and they said they could do nothing to fix the problem. Is there anymore news from the emulator programmers about 3rd party controllers? I read that SNES9X supported 3rd party controllers now, but it won't work with my arcade controller. It would be really nice if someone could make a fix for this. I am only really able to use the stick with a small number of emulators and I'm itching to use it with the Sega Genesis and Super Nintendo mainly. Thanks in advance for any help.
December 09, 2010 08:59PM
I know this is a fairly old thread, and that 1.4.1 is out, but still I thought of posting the following.

1.4.0 (and I guess 1.4.1... I'm gonna test it sometime later today) loads flawlessly through HBC 1.0.6, and when I mean "flawlessly", I mean without having to edit the xml file and deleting a string, no "random" crashes or hanging. And I would believe so since it's not using the over-hyped IOS58.

I'll be honest: I don't feel like going into details about these crashes because I feel stupid repeating myself more than 3 times and still being misunderstood. I'm a more casual homebrewer, so while I have a small grasp about the workings behind homebrew, it doesn't mean I have the same level as many developers and regulars have... so, I would like NOT to post in more detail about these. I'm sorry ekeeke, but that was one of the main reasons I didn't post back. Nothing personal, I just... hate repeating myself over and over. That's all.
December 09, 2010 11:13PM
Magil
1.4.0 (and I guess 1.4.1... I'm gonna test it sometime later today) loads flawlessly through HBC 1.0.6, and when I mean "flawlessly", I mean without having to edit the xml file and deleting a string, no "random" crashes or hanging. And I would believe so since it's not using the over-hyped IOS58.
Nope, that would be because the HBC 1.0.6 doesn't use (or see) the < no_ios_reload/> tag in the xml
December 10, 2010 01:36AM
Alright. I've been meaning to ask about this, so... what exactly does that string do? And would it's abscence make apps like Genesis Plus or WiiMC that supposedly crash by this string (???) stop crashing?
December 10, 2010 01:41AM
To quote HackMii:

- HBC now has the HW_AHBPROT flags set for direct hardware access, thus replacing DVDX.
- Ability to not reload IOS when launching an application. This effectively means that loaded applications inherit the title id, gaining direct hardware access via HW_AHBPROT. To use this feature, add < no_ios_reload/> to the < app> node in your meta.xml file.
As of the HBC 1.0.7, apps that have < no_ios_reload/> can access hardware (such as the DVD drive) without DVDX.
There is a bug in the HBC that causes the crash if IOS is not reloaded (i.e. with the string in the xml) with certain apps. I'm not sure the exact cause but I know that removing the string does solve the problem but you cannot use the extra features such as full DVD access.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2010 01:47AM by bg4545.
December 10, 2010 08:51AM
I even put it in a FAQ.
See, I find repeating myself quite boring too ;-)

And I would believe so since it's not using the over-hyped IOS58.

As stated by bg4545, the bug comes from HBC and how it manages network connection on exit.
It has NOTHING to do with IOS58, I'm not sure to understand what you mean with it being "over-hyped" but what is sure is that this IOS is required for the emulator to get USB2 access speed so yes, I'm "using" as much as HBC is using it when loading the application.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login