Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Visual Boy Advance GX feature request

Posted by dr_slump 
Visual Boy Advance GX feature request
November 07, 2010 08:41PM
This is a feature request, so I'm not actually sure if it should be here or in the request section...

For those who still use a CRT TV (and the reason I do is because I believe that old systems look perfect on them), emulated systems native resolution outputs look by far superior to those scaled to Wii's native 480x. The scanline effect (only visible on CRTs) gives a more "organic", authentic picture. Therefore I really enjoy the native output resolution feature found in practically all emulators for the Wii.

Unfortunately this feature is missing from Visual Boy Advance GX, probably because there was no original video output on a portable system... however, I'm pretty sure that GBA and even GB games will look much better on native outputs on CRT TVs, since even Game Gear titles look great played on SMSPlus, with a native resolution of only 144 lines which is the same as the GB, while the GBA has 160.

Also, lets not forget how nice GB games looked on Super Game Boy, with SNES's original output with a frame big enough to leave only 144 lines for the GB games...

So in conclusion, would it be possible to add a native resolution option to VBA GX?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2010 08:47PM by dr_slump.
Re: Visual Boy Advance GX feature request
November 07, 2010 10:24PM
Doesnt really matter if it would be possible or not, as Tantric (the emulators maintainer) is pretty much done working on it in terms of adding new features, and what not. The only thing he'll do for his emulators is keep them updated with their pc counterparts, and fix small minor issues. Outside that dont expect too much more.
November 07, 2010 10:29PM
Well that also depends on how hard it would be to do this; if it's easy enough he may.
November 08, 2010 11:37AM
I really hope he will :/
November 09, 2010 02:10AM
Well one way to get your feature if he doesnt add it would be to request the feature with the VBA team for the pc version. That way it would be less work for him to incorporate it, since he wont have to code it in from scratch.
November 09, 2010 05:22PM
nightwishfan1
Well one way to get your feature if he doesnt add it would be to request the feature with the VBA team for the pc version. That way it would be less work for him to incorporate it, since he wont have to code it in from scratch.

I don't think that would work. Wii video modes are far differently from PC video modes. It's been a pain for Tantric and EkeEke to get accurate video modes in the Wii using the GX.

Also Tantric has said several times that he does not own a CRT TV set, so he can not test any implementation for these 'original' modes. Although I also would love to see that feature implemented, I really only see a very slim chance of that occuring.

I believe the easiest way of doing it would be taking the Snes9xGX source code for original video mode (224 lines) and implementing it in VBAGX, leaving 40 lines empty at the top, then the 144 GB lines, then other 40 empty lines at the bottom. That would result in a black framed image, but I think it would look good. For GBA it would be the same, but leaving 32 empty lines top and bottom instead of 40.

I don't really know if Tantric would ever be interested in doing this, but you can beg :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2010 05:23PM by Axel.
November 09, 2010 06:29PM
Instead of begging I could donate... what about a CRT TV, Tantric? ;p
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login