Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Does Gecko OS harm the Wii lens?

Posted by Rm88 
Does Gecko OS harm the Wii lens?
November 20, 2010 02:21AM
Some friends and I started using Gecko OS to load Brawl earlier this year, in order to use cheats. One or two months ago one of my friend's Wii stopped reading discs. Approximately 2 weeks ago mine stopped reading discs too. Finally, yesterday another friend's Wii also stopped reading discs. We tried cleaning the lens, but it's not working. Do you guys think this is because of Gecko OS? I always found it weird that it makes a loud clicking sound whenever it starts reading a disc, and it's kind of too coincidental that we all started using it at the same time, and got this problem also at the same time.

Thanks in advance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2010 02:23AM by Rm88.
Re: Does Gecko OS harm the Wii lens?
November 20, 2010 02:48AM
No, Gecko OS is not the cause. The disc drives/lenses themselves are to blame. It's just a coincidence that you're Wiis all got the problem.
November 21, 2010 12:09AM
IIRC Super Smash Brothers Brawl was the first Wii dual layer game and is notorious for causing lenses to fail in Wii's, even some Wii's that had no difficultly loading other games struggle with Brawl.
November 21, 2010 03:02AM
If thats the case then wouldn't there game have circular scratches on it? If so might want to check then you would know thats the cause of noise.
November 25, 2010 05:22AM
No, my Brawl disc is perfectly fine. See, I know Gecko OS is just software and can't really affect hardware, but the fact that it's used to read foreign games and the loud click it makes when it prepares the drive kind of made me doubt. Also, the coincidence of 3 Wii with the same problem almost at the same time, when we all started using Gecko OS.

If I get a new Wii, in theory, using Gecko OS should not deteriorate the lens any more than it normally does, right?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2010 05:23AM by Rm88.
November 25, 2010 05:50AM
Right.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login