Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

WiiEngine - trouble playing Double Dragons rom

Posted by djkcel 
WiiEngine - trouble playing Double Dragons rom
December 08, 2010 03:19PM
Imagine how psyched, pumped, thrilled I was to have the ROM for Double Dragons II Turbo CD - a game that you can't even find on ebay these days. I have it as a toc file with ogg audio, and the two ISO's (track02 and track26). And syscard.pce, version 3 of the super CD system card.

The game loads just fine. You get to the title screen, and it even plays the demo with audio without problems.

BUT I CAN'T START THE GAME!!!

I tried pressing run, select, I, II, all the buttons on the damn controller and none of them start the game. What's even weirder is that you can go back to the title screen (from the demo) by pressing run. But nothing else starts the game.

The controls for Turbo CD games should be the exact same as HuCards on WiiEngine, right? Maybe it's just a bad ROM? I have tried other versions (wav/CUE/ISO) and the same thing.

Any ideas? Also, what is another Turbo CD game I can try to test the WiiEngine's turbo cd emulation? That way, maybe I can pinpoint the problem.
Re: WiiEngine - trouble playing Double Dragons rom
December 09, 2010 03:32PM
Here are some updates:

I was able to run the game just fine as bin/cue on Magic Engine.

I downloaded another Turbo CD rom, Gate of Thunder, and that played just fine on WiiEngine.

So I guess it was just something with the ROM...maybe you need to do something weird to start the game, I'm not sure. It won't even take Wiimote input (like home button).

Whatever it is, I can live with it. But if anyone ever gets DD2 to work on WiiENgine, I want to know!
December 10, 2010 02:01AM
It's most likely an emulation issue. Do you know how outdated the emulators that WiiEngine is based upon are? So far, the only decent PCEngine/TurboGrafx 16 is, unfortunately, the commercial emulator MagicEngine. XPCE and HuGo! are pretty old and abandoned.

There are several newer, constantly updated alternatives available, like Mednafen (???) or Ootake... but it's all a matter of waiting for them to be ported, if ever. I'd suggest you enjoy the game on your PC meanwhile, though.
December 10, 2010 09:13AM
Since it's a Japanese CD game, make sure you tried the game with Super CD-ROM2 Japanese BIOS 3.00 (or normal Japanese CD-ROM System BIOS), it might not be compatible with US BIOS.

Otherwise, it could very likely be an emulation issue, Wii Engine & HugoGX both use the same old & inaccurate HuGo! core (with some fixes added in Wii Engine though), which have a lot of compatibility issues with CD games but also Hu-Card games.

Neither Ootake or Magic Engine are portable so the best candidate for porting would be Mednafen PCE core which is very accurate, as far as I've been told.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2010 09:17AM by ekeeke.
December 11, 2010 01:07AM
... so... is that like... you hinting you might be porting it over? =)
December 11, 2010 10:21AM
Hum, no. Just a hint if people are still looking for porting ideas, mednafen is a pretty decent emulator with very good compatibility, i think the PCE core was ported as a standalone emulator for PS3.

As for me, I don't want to manage several emulators at the same time anymore, takes too much time and I barely have enough to give for one, so.
December 13, 2010 03:38PM
ekeeke
Since it's a Japanese CD game, make sure you tried the game with Super CD-ROM2 Japanese BIOS 3.00 (or normal Japanese CD-ROM System BIOS), it might not be compatible with US BIOS.

Wait, I thought that the CD games were all region free? Shouldn't all Turbo CD games work on all BIOS?

If not, does anyone know where I can download the Japanese system card ROM?
December 13, 2010 10:12PM
djkcel
If not, does anyone know where I can download the Japanese system card ROM?
That's against the rules of this site.
December 14, 2010 04:27PM
Isn't the fact that this thread is about a "rom?", it is against the rules?? Sounds like piracy to me.
December 14, 2010 10:05PM
Questions about roms are fine, as long as you're not asking where to get them.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login