Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Does Wii64 need a cios to work?

Posted by Wii404 
Does Wii64 need a cios to work?
January 14, 2011 12:50PM
Hello, one of my friends is getting their Wii hacked by me, and has a particular interest in N64 games. I've heard Wii64 needs a cios to play games. Does it?
I don't need to know the particular ios in question, or anything else, just a simple yes or no answer will do.

EDIT, and for reference, I am not breaking the rules. 'This is not a Cios support forum.' I'm not asking for support, rather if one is required.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2011 12:53PM by Wii404.
Re: Does Wii64 need a cios to work?
January 14, 2011 12:55PM
No. Never was, never will be. I don't know where you've heard that but it's entirely wrong.
January 14, 2011 05:13PM
Wii404
Hello, one of my friends is getting their Wii hacked by me, and has a particular interest in N64 games. I've heard Wii64 needs a cios to play games. Does it?
I don't need to know the particular ios in question, or anything else, just a simple yes or no answer will do.

EDIT, and for reference, I am not breaking the rules. 'This is not a Cios support forum.' I'm not asking for support, rather if one is required.

For reference, we'll decide if you're breaking the rules not you. "No officer I'm not breaking the law". Doesn't work like that. This forum does not condone discussion of cIOS or patched IOS in ANY way, nor any tool that requires it. As I believe Wii64 is on the WiiBrew wiki, that means it doesn't need a cIOS. There is absolutely no reason for it to logically either. cIOS is for getting past the security systems of the Wii. That's needed for e.g. using hardware not normally accessible or tricking the Wii into thinking something is legit when it isn't. It would be completely unnecessary here.
June 07, 2012 10:23AM
i registered simply to reply to you sifjar. you are only partially correct. yes, wii64 works without a cios. however cios versions DO effect the app. for instance, under rev17 the audio will play as well as possibe for the app, however under the newer d2x, it is nothing but noise. so installing a cios not only affects the app, but can harm it's overall performace. i suggest you get a copy of goldeneye and try it on beta 1.1 under both to confirm what i say. may be helpful if they know that a cios may stunt their gameplay. i used a few cios versions trying to improve quality for goldeneye since i have the 40 new goldeneye roms packed with new single and multi levels that people created. i have since abandoned all cios as i saw no real improvement, only a harming effect. if i emulate a game? i have the store bought cartridge in my cabinet.

i agree fully in discouraging the use of a cios, it leads to piracy and system instability. i just dont like it when everyone who does or has used a cios is looked at as a pirate. some of us are responsible and do not abuse the company wii love. (so i made an obvious pun, sue me.)
June 07, 2012 05:20PM
Wii64 doesn't run on a cIOS unless you're using a modified version. if it doesn't run on a cIOS then having a certain cIOS will not affect it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login