Quake Confusion
January 21, 2011 04:04AM
So, after i realized that i dont know why my version of quake wii is not working anymore (008 of piko with cd music) on either USB or SD card (black screen, wii hangs up) i decided to check the page for any updates.
and then i saw that there are three versions now, all only half documented, barely updated and what not.
and now i am confused.

what is the newest version of quake, what version is the best, and what version is as feature complete as pikos 08 version and why isnt it working on my system anymore. i guess i made a wrong install somewhere but since the last time i played the game was summer, i dont know anymore what i did...
Re: Quake Confusion
January 21, 2011 05:45AM
The two main versions are Izhido's build (Q1Rev) and the build Piko and Eluan made together (Quake GX). I don't find the documentation for the apps to be cryptic at all, but you're of course welcome to clean it up if you like. As for which is better, I couldn't tell you, they both appear to be feature complete. Try them both and use the one you like most. Then please report back here and tell us which you prefer to help out future users.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2011 05:45AM by Arikado.
January 21, 2011 03:00PM
alright, will do :)

so, testing was fast. because q1rev didnt load up on my system at all and quakegx is the same as pikos version just without music. i found pikos quake wii 008 to be the best version, however, it also doesnt run on my system anymore.
too bad :(

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2011 03:09PM by Yoghurt.
January 22, 2011 03:09AM
QuakeGX is far superior; Q1Rev (as well as Q2Rev and QWRev) doesn't use vsyncing or GX, drawing directly on the YUY2 framebuffer instead. Personally I can't stand seeing screen tearing in my games.
January 25, 2011 08:29PM
Yoghurt
alright, will do :)

so, testing was fast. because q1rev didnt load up on my system at all and quakegx is the same as pikos version just without music. i found pikos quake wii 008 to be the best version, however, it also doesnt run on my system anymore.
too bad :(
According to the wiki Eluan and Piko merged Piko's 008 improvements into QuakeGX and made even more improvements together. They even got online play working. Double-check your file structure for music I guess. If I find the time this weekend I might try to play with it too.
February 01, 2011 04:03PM
yeah but i have downloaded the GX version and tested it and i didnt see any change from the 0.05 version from 2009 so thats why i was confused in the first place.

also, i got pikos version to run again (i had to install a newer version of HBC) and it runs fine now, even though i still use 0.09 (piko said to revert to 008 because of some issues, i found none as of yet)

a word from piko himself would be nice if he even continues on the project (009 seems pretty finished) or if its discontinued. same goes for eluan (maybe add a 4/3 correction for widescreen TV sets?). that would help greatly.

still, i love the project :)
February 05, 2011 09:35PM
A new version may happen, the code still needs lots of cleaning.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login